Edwin Conway, Il
|Death:||Died in Richmond, Virginia|
Son of Edwin Conway, Sr. and Martha Conway
|Managed by:||Ofir Friedman|
Matching family tree profiles for Edwin Conway, Gent., of Lancaster
About Edwin Conway, Gent., of Lancaster
Edwin Conway ll
- Born: Abt 1644, England
- Died: Aug 1698, Richmond Co., Virginia
- Father: Edwin Conway
- Mother: Martha Eltonhead
- 1660, Old Rappahannock, Virginia to Sarah Walker (Is this proven?)
- between 1674-1675 to Sarah Fleete
- 21 May 1695, Lancaster Co., Virginia to Elizabeth Thompson, daughter of Richard Thompson & Ursula Bish
lived first in Lancaster County on lands acquired by his father and then moved to Richmond County where his will was probated on September 7, 1698
Virginia Genealogies: A Genealogy of the Glassell Family of Scotland and Virginia : Also of the Families of Ball, Brown, Bryan, Conway, Daniel, Ewell, Holladay, Lewis, Littlepage, Moncure, Peyton, Robinson, Scott, Taylor, Wallace, and Others, of Virginia and Maryland (Google eBook) Horace Edwin Hayden E.B. Yordy, printer, 1891 - Virginia - 759 pages. Page 231:
EDWIN2 CONWAY (Edwin1), "of the County of Lancaster, Gent," b. pro. Eng. cir. 1640-4; d. Aug., 1698; will dat. Mar. 19, 1698; pro. Richmond county, Sep. 7, 1698.*
- (I.) cir. 1675-80, Sarah Fleete, dau. of Lieut. Colonel Henry Fleete, Lancaster county, Va.;
- (II.) cir. 1695, Elizabeth Thompson,! pro. of Lanc'r county. These marriages do not appear among the Lancaster marriage bonds.
Children, first marriage:
- + 4. i- Edwin,' b. —, I681-2; d. Oct. 3, 1763; m. (I.) —, 1704, Anne Ball; (II.) —, Ann Hack.
- 5. ii. Mary, b. Feb. 16, 16S6; d. Sep. 15, 1730, le 44; m. (L) Nov. II, 1703, John Dangerfield; (II.) Apr. 16, 1707, Major James Ball (ball 8, p. 63.)
Children, second marriage:
- -(- 6. iii. Francis, b. —, 1697; d. —; m. —, 1720, Rebecca Catlett.
- 7. iv. Posthumous child, b. 1698-9.
In 1695, before his 2d mar., Mr. Conway, like,Col. Joseph Ball (p. 57), conveyed his estate in part to his children by his first wife, and moved to Richmond Co. His eldest child, Edwin, was then only 14 years old. It is pro. that the land conveyed came to him by his first wife.
Of the second wife nothing is known beyond'her name. Mr. Warner, Clerk of Rich'd Co., writes me (1890): '* I find nothing touching this 2d mar. No Thompson seems to have lived in this Co. at that time. The Edwin Conway that owned large tracts of land in Rich'd Co. was living in Christ Ch. Parish 1681 and 1694."
Mr. Conway was Surveyor of Lanc'r Co., 1679-80. Like Mary Johnson Ball, we must measure Elizabeth Thompson Conway by her posterity. The one gave to the world a Washington, the other a Madison.
Birth: 1653 Virginia, USA
Death: 1698 King George County Virginia, USA
Edwin was related to a number of distinguished colonial families and progenitor of some famous Americans including President James Madison. He was married first to Sarah Walker and then to Elizabeth Thornton.
Conway's will was recorded in Richmond County (now King George Co.) Virginia in March 1698; it was probated in September 1698. He was returned to Lancaster County for burial beside his first wife Sarah. (By Mark Hale - unfortunately this bio has been edited by myself because of instances of copying without my being credited.)
Elizabeth Thornton Gibson (1675 - 1733) Sarah Walker Conway (____ - 1690)* Children:
Edwin Conway (1681 - 1763)* Mary Conway Ball (1686 - 1730)* Francis Conway (1696 - 1733)*
- Calculated relationship
Burial : Non-Cemetery Burial Specifically: Buried on private property in Lancaster Co., Virginia
Edwin Conway, Gent., of Lancaster's Timeline
Christ Church, Lancaster, VA, USA
February 16, 1686
April 15, 1696
Richmond Co., Virginia, USA
August 7, 1698
Lancaster, Virginia, USA