|Also Known As:||"Joseph Embry"|
|Death:||Died in Howard, Missouri, United States|
Son of John Embree and Fanny Embree
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elder Joseph Embree
About Elder Joseph Embree
Joseph Embree was born c.1727 in Orange County, Virginia. Dates of birth vary from 1721 to 1740. He was the son of John Embree, Sr., and wife Fanny Wall. He married Mildred Burris in Virginia. She was the daughter of Thomas Burrus or Burris and wife Frances Tandy. He died after July 15, 1818 in Howard County, Missouri.
He was named in a deed dated August 27, 1767 from John Embree, Sr. granting him 200 acres of land on Beaverdam Run in Orange co., VA. He and his wife sold this land on September 24, 1767 to Zachariah Shackelford, his brother-in-law. His brother Richard had a similar warrant. Richard never left Virginia.
Joseph moved to Clark Co., Ky. in 1780. He & William Embree were among the founders who petitioned to form Clark County. in 1789. Joseph became a tobacco planter like his father and by 1815 he & his sons owned a large tract of adjoining plantations with several houses and out buildings and between 20 & 30 slaves. Joseph was listed on the 1788 Fayette County, Kentucky, Tax List.
Joseph and Millie joined the Providence Baptist Church in Clark County, Kentucky, in 1786. The church had originally been in Orange County, Virginia, but its members had moved en masse to Kentucky, stopping twice along the way before settling permanently in Clark County. The group was called the Bush Colony, for William (Capt Billy) Bush, who had come to Kentucky with Daniel Boone, obtained land and had sold it to his relatives and friends in the group. Joseph was ordained as an elder of this church in 1787.
On July 15, 1818, Joseph filed a Deed of Gift in Clark County, Kentucky, transferring ownership of his land to his children. He names eight children and three grandchildren in the gifts. About this same time, he moves to Missouri, where he dies.
Children of Mildred Burrus and Joseph Embree:
- William Embree (died 1799?), married 1791 Jane Bush
- Nancy Embree, married Orson Martin
- Thomas Embree (died in Howard County, Missouri) married 1795, Clark County, Kentucky, Elizabeth Duncan
- Caleb Embree (1776–1849), married 1803, Clark County, Kentucky, Sally Burrus
- Polly Embree (1779–1796), married 1795, Clark County, Kentucky, James Jackson
- John Embree
- Elizabeth Embree, married 1803, Clark County, Kentucky, Stephen Brockman
- Frances Embree, married 1813, Clark County, Kentucky, James Tucker
- Joseph Embree (born 1800, Madison County, Kentucky), married 1824, Madison County, Kentucky, Rachel Igo
Links to additional material:
Elder Joseph Embree's Timeline
Orange County , Viriginia
Orange, VA, USA
January 15, 1786