Matching family tree profiles for Eleanor Percy, Countess of Northumberland
About Eleanor Percy, Countess of Northumberland
Eleanor Percy, Countess of Northumberland
Lady Eleanor Neville (c. 1397 – 1472) was the second daughter of Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland (died 1425), by his second wife, Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster and Katherine Swynford.
She was married first to Richard le Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh, a grandson of Gaunt's younger brother Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York. After his early death without issue, she married Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (killed at the First Battle of St Albans, 1455).
Eleanor and Henry had 10 children:
- John Percy (b. 8 July 1418)
- Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland (25 July 1421 - 29 March 1461, Battle of Towton)
- Thomas Percy, 1st Baron Egremont (29 November 1422, Leconfield, Yorkshire - 10 July 1460, Battle of Northampton, England)
- Lady Katherine Percy (28 May 1423 - d. aft 1475). She married Edmund Grey, 1st Earl of Kent
- George Percy (24 July 1424 - 14 November 1474)
- Sir Ralph Percy (1425 - 25 April 1464, Battle of Hedgeley Moor)
- Sir Richard Percy (1426/7–29 March 1461, Battle of Towton)
- William Percy, Bishop of Carlisle (7 April 1428 - 26 April 1462)
- Anne Percy (1436–1522)
- Joan Percy
- Eleanor Neville1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13
- F, #12912, b. 1398, d. circa 1473
- Father Sir Ralph Neville, 1st Earl Westmoreland, 4th Baron Neville2,3,4,5,14,7,8,9,10,11,15,13 b. bt 1364 - 1367, d. 21 Oct 1425
- Mother Joan Beaufort2,3,14,7,9,15,13 b. c 1379, d. 13 Nov 1440
- Eleanor Neville was born in 1398 at of Raby, Durham, England. She married Richard le Despenser, son of Sir Thomas le Despenser, 1st Earl Gloucester, 5th Lord Despenser, Constable of Gloucester & St. Briavel's Castle and Constance Plantagenet, after 23 May 1412.16,3,6,7,9,12,13 Eleanor Neville married Sir Henry Percy, 5th Lord Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland, Constable of England, son of Sir Henry 'Harry Hotspur' Percy, Justice of Chester, North Wales, & Flintshire and Elizabeth Mortimer, between 28 February 1416 and 18 March 1416 at Berwick, Northumberland, England; They had 9 sons (Sir Henry, 6th Earl of Northumberland, 6th Lord Percy; William, Bishop of Carlisle; Sir Richard; George, Rector of Rothbury; John; Sir Thomas, Lord Egremont; Sir Ralph; John; & Henry) and 3 daughters (Joan; Katherine, wife of Sir Edmund, 4th Lord Grey of Ruthin & 1st Earl of Kent; & Anne, wife of Sir Thomas Hungerford, of Sir Laurence Raynesford, & of Sir Hugh Vaughan).2,17,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 Eleanor Neville died circa 1473.17,7,9,13
- Family 1 Richard le Despenser b. 30 Nov 1396, d. b 16 Apr 1414
- Family 2 Sir Henry Percy, 5th Lord Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland, Constable of England b. 3 Feb 1393, d. 22 May 1455
- Sir Ralph Percy, Seneschal at Alnwick+ d. 25 Apr 1464
- Eleanor Percy
- Sir Henry Percy, 3rd Earl Northumberland, 6th Lord Percy+17,7,13 b. 25 Jul 1421, d. 29 Mar 1461
- Sir Thomas Percy, 1st Baron Egremont b. 29 Nov 1422, d. 10 Jul 1460
- Katherine Percy+17,18,4,7,10,13 b. 28 May 1423, d. bt 2 May 1493 - 17 Oct 1493
- Sir Richard Percy b. c 1427, d. 29 Mar 1461
- Anne Percy+19,17,5,7,8,11,13 b. c 1440, d. 5 Jul 1522
- [S3638] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 55; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1875.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 540-544.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 78.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 278-279.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 431-432.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 249.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 343-344.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 349-351.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 455.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 130-131.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 362-363.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 236.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 356.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 246-247.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 232.
- [S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 427.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 578-579.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 622.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 409.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p430.htm#i12912
- Lady Eleanor de Neville1
- F, #107425, b. circa 1397, d. 1472
- Last Edited=4 Jul 2015
- Consanguinity Index=0.03%
- Lady Eleanor de Neville was born circa 1397 at Raby Castle, Durham, County Durham, England.2 She was the daughter of Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland and Lady Joan de Beaufort.1 She married, firstly, Sir Richard le Despenser, 4th Lord Burghersh, son of Thomas le Despenser, 1st and last Earl of Gloucester and Constance Langley, after 23 May 1412.3 She married, secondly, Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland, son of Sir Henry Percy, Lord Percy and Elizabeth de Mortimer, after October 1414 at Alnwick, Northumberland, England.3 She died in 1472.1
- From after 23 May 1412, her married name became le Despenser.1,3 From after October 1414, her married name became Percy.3 As a result of her marriage, Lady Eleanor de Neville was styled as Countess of Northumberland on 16 March 1416.
- Children of Lady Eleanor de Neville and Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland
- Hon. John Percy4 b. 8 Jul 1418
- Lady Joan Percy4 b. c 1420
- Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland+ b. 25 Jul 1421, d. 29 Mar 1461
- Thomas Percy, 1st Baron Egremont+5 b. 29 Nov 1422, d. 10 Jul 1460
- Lady Catherine Percy+6 b. 28 May 1423, d. a 1475
- Hon. George Percy4 b. 24 Jul 1424, d. 14 Nov 1474
- Sir Ralph Percy4 b. 1425, d. 25 Apr 1464
- Sir Richard Percy4 b. c 1426, d. 29 Mar 1461
- Hon. William Percy4 b. 7 Apr 1428, d. 26 Apr 1462
- Hon. Alan Percy4 b. c 1430
- [S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 109. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- [S125] Richard Glanville-Brown, online <e-mail address>, Richard Glanville-Brown (RR 2, Milton, Ontario, Canada), downloaded 17 August 2005.
- [S8] BP1999 volume 1, page 17. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- [S37] BP2003 volume 2, page 2940. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume V, page 33. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume VII, page 164.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10743.htm#i107425
- Eleanor NEVILLE (C. Northumberland)
- Born: ABT 1405, Raby, Durham, England
- Died: 1472
- Father: Ralph NEVILLE (1° E. Westmoreland)
- Mother: Joan BEAUFORT (C. Westmoreland)
- Married 1: Richard Le DESPENCER (B. Burghersh) AFT 23 May 1412
- Married 2: Henry PERCY (2º E. Northumberland) ABT Oct 1414, Alnwick, Northumberland, England
- 1. Henry PERCY (3º E. Northumberland)
- 2. Thomas PERCY (1° B. Egremont)
- 3. Catherine PERCY (C. Kent)
- 4. Richard PERCY
- 5. Anne PERCY
- 6. Joan PERCY
- 7. Ralph PERCY (Sir)
- 8. William PERCY (Bishop of Carlisle)
- 9. John PERCY (b. 8 Jul 1418)
- 10. George PERCY
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/NEVILLE2.htm#Eleonor%20NEVILLE%20%28C.%20Northumberland%29
- Eleanor de Neville de Percy
- Birth: 1398 County Durham, England
- Death: 1472, England
- Lady Eleanor Neville was the 2nd daughter of Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland by his 2nd wife, Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster and his 3rd wife, Katharine Swynford.
- She was married first to Richard le Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh, (a grandson of Gaunt's younger brother Edmund of York), and after his early death without child, she married Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (killed at the first battle of St Albans, 1455).
- Eleanor and Henry had 10 children, including:
- Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland (25 July 1421 - 29 March 1461, Battle of Towton).
- Lady Katherine Percy. She married Edmund Grey, 1st Earl of Kent
- Thomas Percy, 1st Baron Egremont (29 November 1422, Leconfield, Yorkshire - 10 July 1460 Battle of Northampton, England)
- Sir Ralph Percy (d. 25 April 1464, Battle of Hedgeley Moor).
- The will of her son George Percy (died 1474) proves beyond a doubt she is buried in Beverley Minster. (burial info from Todd Whitesides)
- Family links:
- Ralph de Neville (1364 - 1425)
- Joan Beaufort Neville (1375 - 1440)
- Henry de Percy (1391 - 1455)
- Richard le Despenser (1396 - 1414)*
- Henry Percy (1421 - 1461)*
- Thomas Percy (1422 - 1460)*
- George Percy (1424 - 1474)*
- Richard Percy (1426 - 1461)*
- Ann Percy Raynsford Vaughan (1428 - 1522)*
- Anne Percy Vaughan (1436 - 1522)*
- Phillippa Neville Dacre**
- William de Neville (____ - 1463)*
- John de Neville (1387 - 1420)**
- Ralph De Neville (1392 - 1458)**
- Elizabeth Ferrers Greystoke (1393 - 1434)**
- Mary de Ferrers de Neville (1394 - 1458)**
- Margaret Neville Scrope (1396 - 1463)**
- Katherine Neville Mowbray Strangeways Beaumont Woodville (1397 - ____)*
- Eleanor de Neville de Percy (1398 - 1472)
- Richard Neville (1400 - 1460)*
- Richard Neville (1400 - 1460)*
- Robert de Neville (1404 - 1457)*
- George Neville, Lord Latimer (1407 - 1469)*
- George de Neville (1407 - 1469)*
- Anne de Neville Stafford (1411 - 1480)*
- Edward Neville (1412 - 1476)*
- Cecily de Neville Plantagenet (1415 - 1495)*
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Beverley Minster, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire Unitary Authority, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 86135697
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=86135697
- Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 44
- Percy, Ralph by William Arthur Jobson Archbold
- PERCY, Sir RALPH (1425–1464), soldier, was seventh son of Henry Percy, second earl of Northumberland [q. v.], by Eleanor, daughter of Ralph, first earl of Westmorland, and widow of Ralph, lord Spencer. He took the Lancastrian side throughout the wars of the roses, and was the leader of the Percys in their inter-tribal warfare with the Nevilles during the latter part of Henry VI's reign. He was with Queen Margaret in her march south after the battle of Wakefield; and when Edward IV had been proclaimed king, he occupied Bamborough Castle for her, but he surrendered it on 24 Dec. 1462, and swore fealty to Edward. Early in 1463 he changed sides again, and allowed the Scots to retake Bamborough; he held to the Lancastrian cause for the rest of his life, even though the queen sailed that summer to the Low Countries. He very nearly captured Edward as he marched north to Newcastle early in 1464, and was the captain in the battle of Hedgely Moor on 25 April 1464. Here he was killed fighting, and just before his death was heard to say, ‘I have saved the bird in my bosom,’ meaning his loyalty to Henry (Oman, Warwick, p. 154). A rudely carved column, called ‘Percy's Cross,’ marks the spot where he fell. He was unmarried.
- [Ramsay's Lancaster and York, ii. 302 &c.; De Fonblanque's Annals of the House of Percy, i. 283–6; Three Fifteenth-Century Chronicles, pp. 156, 158, 176, 178.]
- From: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Percy,_Ralph_(DNB00)
One more question and I should have my frustrations in check. In possession, I have a Family Group sheet that shows Eleanor Neville b: 1406, dau. of Ralph Neville b: 1364 and Joan Beaufort b: 1375 (dau of John of Gaunt) married to a Locke. This "source" shows Eleanor married to John Locke b: 1400, son of William Locke b: 1351 and Joan de Mortimer with Locke issue then to Sommerset. In my search of the Neville's (my surname) I have never seen this marriage. I show the subject Eleanor married to Henry Percy and Richard le Despencer, but no John Locke. Additionally, I do not show a marriage between a Locke and a Neville. If someone in the group has information on this subject John Locke b: 1400, son of William and Joan as to his marriages or girl friends, I would sure appreciate it to either prove or disprove the subject Family Group Sheet. Thanking you inadvance!...take care....Ren Neville
- THIS REFERENCE SO FAR IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN WITH JOHN LOCKE'S WIFE MENTIONED AND IT IS LISTED AS JANE.
- Notes and queries
- John Locke, who was Sheriff of London in 1461, and (wife Jane his wife) was enfeoffed in 1499 with the mansion of Merton Place, co. Surrey, was the father of Thomas Locke, of London, Merchant and Mercer.
- This Thomas Locke married Joan, sole daughter and heiress of ___ Wilcotts, of Rotherham, co. York, who bore, Azure, an eagle displayed argent. They had issue: 1. John, died s. p. in 1519. 2. Sir William, Knt., alderman, mercer, and Sheriff, in 1548, of London. He married four times, and, by his first and second wives, had a large family; died August 24, 1550. 3. Michael Locke.
- Thomas Locke died in 1507, and was buried in the Mercers' Chapel. London.
Eleanor Percy, Countess of Northumberland's Timeline
Raby, Durham, England
July 8, 1418
July 25, 1421
Leconfield, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
November 29, 1422
Leckonfield, Yorkshire, England
May 28, 1423
Alnwick, Northumberland, England
July 24, 1424
August 11, 1425
Leconfield, Yorkshire, England