|Also Known As:||"Eliezer Isbel"|
|Birthplace:||Salem, Essex, MA|
|Death:||Died in Killingworth, CT, USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Eleazer Isbell
About Eleazer Isbell
ELEAZER ISBELL, son of Robert and Ann ( ) Isbell, born probably Salem, Mass., about 1640, died Killingworth, Conn., September 2, 1677. Married there, November 11, 1668, also recorded at New London, Conn., Elizabeth French, born Guilford, Conn., August 25, 1650, daughter of Thomas and first wife, Mary (Button) French.
The village of Killingworth was founded in 1663 and its Indian name was Hammonassett. In October 1663 the Colonial Legislature resolved that there should be a town at this place and during the same month twelve settlers from nearby towns moved there. In the course of the next two or three years they were joined by sixteen others, thus increasing their count to twenty-eight. The town was divided into thirty sections or rights, the two extra ones being reserved for the first minister who should settle there, and the second for the support of the ministry forever. For about four years after this settlement Killingworth was known as the "Plantation at Hammonassett." In May 1667 it was given the name of Kenilworth after the town of that name in Co. Warwick, England, as one or more of its earliest inhabitants were born there, later it was changed to Killingworth. The original Killingworth had a breadth of about four miles and extended back from Long Island Sound from ten and one-half to thirteen miles. It is now divided into two parishes, the first being Killingworth, and the second North Killingworth. The settlement of the latter was begun in 1716.
The present (now 1943) Clinton, Conn., was the original Hammonassett, Main Street the ground where the first settlers took their home lots; these were surveyed in 1663 and were allotted to them by "drawing cuts." The following allotment of the several inhabitants of Hammonascit is from page one of Kennelworth Towne Records. "William Kelcey and John Meggs, granted, John Shethar purchased of Jonathan Dennin, Eliezer Isbell, granted." Among the names on the list of freemen of the "Towne of Kennelworth" in 1669 were Eliezer Isbel, Nathaniel Parmerly, John Meggs Sr., Andrew Warde and William Keilsey. Killingworth of today is an offshoot of the original settlers of Main Street in Clinton. The grandchildren of the original Nathaniel Parmele, William and John Kelsey, Joseph Wilcox and Eleazer Isbel, gradually worked their settlements northward, their fathers and grandfathers taking up land for them.
Eleazer Isbell settled at Hammonassett, as it was then called, and was one of the First Proprietors there, his name having been recorded December 29, 1665. He made his Will August 27, 1677, and which is on file at Connecticut State Library, Hartford.