Baroness of Cobham Elizabeth Brooke (Touchet)
|Birthplace:||Heleigh, Staffordshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Base-Born Edmund Holand, E K Constance, Yorkshire, England|
Daughter of James Touchett, 5th Lord Audley and Eleanor Tuchet (de Holland), Baroness Audley
|Occupation:||Baroness of Cobham|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Brooke (Touchet)
About Elizabeth Brooke (Touchet)
- 'Elizabeth Touchet1,2,3,4
- 'F, b. circa 1420, d. after 8 November 1464
- Father Sir James Touchet, 5th Lord Audley2,3,4 b. c 1398, d. 23 Sep 1458
- Mother Margaret Roos1,2,3,4 b. c 1400, d. bt Sep 1423 - 14 Feb 1430
- ' Elizabeth Touchet was born circa 1420 at of Heleigh, Audley, Staffordshire, England.2 She married Sir Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham, son of Sir Thomas Brooke, Sheriff of Devonshire and Joan Braybrooke, before 2 February 1437.1,2,3 Elizabeth Touchet died after 8 November 1464.1,4
- 'Family Sir Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham b. c 1415, d. c 7 Jul 1464
- ◦Elizabeth Brooke+3,4 b. c 1439, d. 26 Aug 1503
- ◦Sir John Brooke, 7th Lord Cobham+1,3,4 b. c 1450, d. 9 Mar 1512
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. III, p. 346.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 722-723.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 777.
- 4.[S15] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, p. 904.
- James Tuchet, 5th Baron Audley, 2nd Baron Tuchet (c. 1398 - 1459) was an English peer.
- James Tuchet, 5th Baron Audley, son of John Tuchet, 4th Baron Audley and his wife Isabel, was a distinguished veteran of the Hundred Years' War. In the opening phase of the Wars of the Roses he raised troops from his estates in Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire and Derbyshire and commanded the Lancastrian force that moved to block the Yorkist Earl of Salisbury's route to Ludlow where he intended linking up with the rest of the Yorkist army.
- The two forces clashed in the Battle of Blore Heath on 23 September 1459 and Audley was killed by Sir Roger Kynaston of Stocks near Ellesmere (Kynaston incorporated emblems of the Audley coat-of-arms into his own). He was beheaded after the battle. Audley's Cross still stands on the battlefield to this day, and marks the spot where he died. Audley was buried in Darley Abbey, north of Derby, about 40 miles away from Blore Heath. Unfortunately, the Abbey no longer stands, so his final resting place is no longer marked.
- Marriages and children
- Audley was first married on 24 February 1414/1415 to Margaret, daughter to William de Ros, 7th Baron de Ros and Margaret Fitzalan. They were parents to two children:
- John Tuchet, 6th Baron Audley (born c. 1420 - 26 September 1490).
- Margaret Touchet (born circa 1422 - died bef. 1480), married Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Tankerville.
- Audley was married second to Eleanor de Holland, an illegitimate daughter of Edmund Holland, 4th Earl of Kent by Constance of York, daughter of Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York and Infanta Isabella of Castile. They were parents to at least eight children:
- Anne Touchet (born c. 1427 - 1503). She married Sir Thomas Dutton, who died at Blore Heath along with his father-in-law.
- 'Elizabeth Touchet (born c. 1433). She married Edward Brooke, 6th Baron Cobham.
- Sir Humphrey Touchet (born c. 1435 - 6 May 1471). He married Elizabeth Courtenay, widow of Sir James Luttrell. Like his father, he supported the House of Lancaster. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Tewkesbury and tried before Richard, Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Norfolk. Executed with other Lancastrian leaders in the Market Square he was buried under the pavement in the Chapel of St Nicolas, in the Abbey Church of St Mary the Virgin.
- Edmund Audley (born c. 1437 - 23 August 1524). Successively Bishop of Rochester, Bishop of Hereford and Bishop of Salisbury.
- Thomas Touchet (born c. 1439 - June 1507). Married Catherine.
- Eleanor Touchet (born circa 1438), married Humphrey Grey, son of Henry Grey, 2nd Earl of Tankerville and Antigone Plantagenet.
- Constance Touchet (born c. 1443 - aft. 1467). She married in 1464 Sir Robert Whitney (born 1436 - aft. 1467), son of Eustace Whitney and Jennet Trussell.
- ThePeerage.com entry
- 'Elizabeth Tuchet1
- F, #11807
- Last Edited=9 Sep 2007
- Consanguinity Index=0.0%
- ' Elizabeth Tuchet was the daughter of James Tuchet, 5th Lord Audley (of Heleigh) and Eleanor de Holland.1,2 She married, firstly, Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham (of Kent), son of Sir Thomas Brooke and Joan Braybroke, Baroness Cobham (of Kent).1 She married, secondly, Christopher Worsley before 8 November 1464.2
- ' Her married name became Brooke.1 Her married name became Worsley.
- 'Child of Elizabeth Tuchet and Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham (of Kent)
- 1.John Brooke, 7th Lord Cobham (of Kent)+1 b. a 1446, d. 9 Mar 1511/12
- 1.[S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 78. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
- 2.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 346. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/TOUCHET.htm#Elizabeth TOUCHET (B. Cobham)
- 'Elizabeth TOUCHET (B. Cobham)
- 'Born: ABT 1433
- Father: James TOUCHET (2º B. Audley of Heleigh)
- Mother: Eleanor HOLLAND (B. Audley of Heleigh)
- 'Married 1: Edward BROOKE (1° B. Cobham) ABT 1447, Heleigh, Staffordshire, England
- 1. John BROOKE (2° B. Cobham)
- 2. Elizabeth BROOKE
- 3. Mary BROOKE
- 'Married 2: Christopher WORSLEY BEF 8 Nov 1464
Elizabeth Tuchet was the daughter of James Tuchet, 5th Lord Audley (of Heleigh) and Eleanor de Holland. She married, firstly, Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham (of Kent), son of Sir Thomas Brooke and Joan Braybroke, Baroness Cobham (of Kent).She married, secondly, Christopher Worsley before 8 November 1464.2
' Her married name became Brooke.1 Her married name became Worsley. 'Child of Elizabeth Tuchet and Edward Brooke, 6th Lord Cobham (of Kent)
1.John Brooke, 7th Lord Cobham (of Kent)+1 b. a 1446, d. 9 Mar 1511/12
Elizabeth Brooke (Touchet)'s Timeline
Heleigh, Staffordshire, England
December 10, 1447
Cowling, Kent, England
Cobham, Kent, England
Cobham, Kent, England
November 8, 1464
Base-Born Edmund Holand, E K Constance, Yorkshire, England
November 1, 1930
November 21, 1930