Elizabeth Churchill (Foote)
|Also Known As:||"Eleanor"|
|Birthplace:||Colchester, Essex, England|
|Death:||Died in Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut|
|Place of Burial:||Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, United States|
Daughter of Nathaniel Foote "the Settler" and Elizabeth Welles
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Elizabeth Churchill
Elizabeth Foote, daughter of Nathaniel Foote, "The Settler" (1593 - 1644) and Elizabeth Deming Welles (c.1600 - 1683) was born 8 September 1616 in Colchester, Essex, England and was baptized 14 January 1617/18 in St. James Parish Church, Colchester, Essex, England. She died 8 September 1700 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, and is buried at Newington Cemetery, Newington, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States.
Marriage and Children
- Josiah Churchill (c.1612 - 1686), married 1638 Connecticut
- Mary Churchill (1639 - 1690) married Samuel Church
- Elizabeth Churchill (15 May 1642 - 1660) married Henry Buck
- Hannah Churchill (1 November 1644 Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut - 1688) married Samuel Royce
- Ann Churchill (born 1647)
- Joseph Churchill (December 1649 - 1 April 1699) married Mary MNU
- Benjamin Churchill (born 16 May 1652)
- Sarah Churchill (11 November 1657 - 1699) married Thomas Wickham
- Henry Churchill (born c.659), settled in Cobanzy, New Jersey
- Families of Ancient New Haven by Donald Lines Jacobus, pg. 1550
- The records of "St. James Parish Church" at Colchester show that Elizabeth was baptized 14 January 1617
- Stiles, in his book, The History of Ancient Wethersfield, Volume I, includes Nathaniel Foote. Nathaniel's daughter, Elizabeth, married Josiah Churchill and was the mother of the Connecticut Churchill line. They are ancestors of President Rutherford Birchard Hayes.
- Foote Family
- Find A Grave Memorial# 34156333
Elizabeth, daughter of Nathaniel and his wife Elizabeth Deming was baptized 14 Jan 1617/8, Shalford, Essex, at St. James's
Elizabeth came to New England with her parents about 1630 or 1632.
Elizabeth Welles, Elizabeth's mother, in her will dated 1678, named her "daughter Churchill" and her children, specifically naming her grandsons Joseph and Benjamin Churchill.
Elizabeth married Josiah Churchill and their first child was born 24 March 1639.
The widow Elizabeth (Foote) Churchill died September 8, 1700. At the time of her death, Newington, was still part of Wethersfield. Her husband owned land in what would become Newington, their son John inherited this land. As far as known there is no record of their burials in either the old cemetery in Wethersfield or Newington.
Children of Josiah and Elizabeth (Foote) Churchill: 1. Mary b 24 Mar 1639 married Samuel Church, son of Richard Church of Hadley, MA 2. Elizabeth b 15 May 1642 married 31 Oct 1660 to Henry Buck of Wethersfield 3. Hannah b 1 Nov 1644 married Jan 1667 to Samuel Royce of New London 4. Ann b 1647 married Mr Rice 5. Joseph Churchill b 7 Dec 1649 married 13 May 1674 to Mary Burnham [Note: extensive discussion of Mary's surname at http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/churchill/2604/ ] 6. Benjamin b 16 May 1652 married Mary
7. a son who died aged 1 year 8. Sarah b 11 Nov 1657 married
Wickham [Hinman says she married Thomas Wickham but E. S. Wells, an expert genealogist, finds the wife of Thomas Wickham and mother of his 6 children was MARY]
Several sources list the Foote Family and additional facts may be found in these sources. •Goodwin, Nathaniel. The Foote family: or, The descendants of Nathaniel Foote, one of the first settlers of Wethersfield, Conn., with genealogical notes of Pasco Foote, who settled in Salem, Mass., and John Foote and others of the name, who settled more recently in New York. Press of Case, Tiffany and company, 1849. At Google Books.</ref> •Anderson, Robert Charles Great Migration Article on Nathaniel, listing information on the children. The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, Volume II, C-F, by Robert Charles Anderson, George F. Sanborn, Jr., and Melinde Lutz Sanborn. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001. •Stiles, Henry Reed. Families of Ancient Wethersfield Connecticut; Consisting of the History of Ancient Wethersfield, Comprising the Present Towns of Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, and Newington; and of Glastonbury Prior to Its Incorporation in 1693, from Date of Earliest Settlement Until the Present Time, with Extensive Genealogies and Genealogical Notes on Their Families. Vol II. 1904.At HathiTrust •Foote, Abram William. Foote family, comprising the genealogy and history of Nathaniel Foote, of Wethersfield, Conn., and his descendants; also a partial record of descendants of Pasco Foote of Salem, Mass., Richard Foote of Stafford County, Va., and John Foote of New York City. Rutland, Vt. : Marble City Press-Tuttle, 1907 (v. 1) ; Burlington, Vt. : Free Press Printing, 1932 (v. 2) at archive.org
Our Ancestors in America (22) Elizabeth Foote Birth: 8 SEP 1616, Colchester, Essex, England Christening: 14 JAN 1618, St James, Colchester, Essex, England Death: September 8, 1700, Wethersfield, Connecticu Burial: SEP 1700 Children: Eight Children Generation: Second Generation In America Marriage: 1638, Wethersfield,Hartford,Connecticut to Josiah Churchill
Father:: Nathaniel Foote Mother: | Elizabeth Deming
Elizabeth Foote, their first child, was born 8 September, 1616 in Colchester England. The records of the "St. James Parish Church" at Colchester show that Elizabeth was baptized on 14 January 1618. She was married to Josiah Churchill, of Wethersfield Connecticut. He was born Abt. 1616 in Wethersfield, CT, and died January 01, 1685/86.
The following Are the children of Josiah and Elizabeth.
1. Mary Churchill Mary Churchill was born on 24 March 1639 and died in 1690. She married in 1665 to Samuel Church who was born 3 March 1627/8 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He died on 13 April 1684 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He was the son of Richard and Anne (Marche) Church. Mary Church Mary as born on 23 Jan 1665 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. She died on 18 June 1700,. Mary was married to Deacon Samuel Smith who was born in Jan 1659 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He died on 28 Aug 1707 in East Hartford, Hartford, CT. He was the son of Deacon Philip Smith and Rebecca Foote
Samuel Church Samuel was born on 19 Aug 1667 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He died in 1737 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He was married 1st on 7 July 1692 to Abigail Harrison who was born 11 Sept 1673 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA . She died on 7 Sept 1717 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA. She was the daughter of Isaac and Martha (Montague) Harrison. Samuel married his 2nd time on 12 Aug 1720 to Abigail Strong
Richard Church Richard was born on 9 Dec 1669 Hadley, Hampshire, MA and died 15 Oct 1696 in Sunderland, MA . He was slain by the Indians. He was married on 24 Jan 1696 to Sarah Bartlett
Mehetable Church Mehetable was born on 11 Jan 1670/1 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA and died on 25 Sept 1748 in South Hadley, Hampshire, MA. She was married Nehemiah Dickinson who was born 5 June 1672 and died 1 Oct 1715
Josiah Church Josiah was born 10 April 1674 Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He was married on 24 Nov 1699 to Thankful Brooks
Joseph Church Joseph was born 25 May 1678 Hadley, Hampshire, MA. He died in 1720/1 in Wethersfield, Hartford, CT, he never married
Benjamin Church Benjamin was born 1 Sept 1680 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA and died 15 Jan 1755 Hadley, in Hampshire, MA. He was married 13 Jan 1709 to Miriam Hovey who was born 27 Aug 1689 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA and died 1713 same place; Benjamn was married again on 23 Sept 1714 to Hannah Dickinson who was born 6 Sept 1684 in Amherst, MA, and died in 1724 at Hadley, Hampshire, MA; Benjamn married 3rd
John Church Benjamine was born 24 Dec 1682 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA and died 21 Mar 1751. He was married on 5 Feb 1707 to Elizabeth Olmstead
2. Elizabeth Churchill Elizabeth Churchill was born on 14 May 1642, she was married on 31 Oct 1660 to Henry Buck who was born in1626 and died 17 July 1712 in Wethersfield, CT at age 86 yrs. He was the son of William Buck of Wethersfield, Essex co., England. Henry Buck was constable, blacksmith and a farmer in Wethersfield, CT. Henry and Elizabeth are ancestors of President Rutherford B. Hayes through their daughter Ruth Henry Buck Henery was born in 1662 and moved to Cohanzey, Salem, NJ pre Wethersfield, CT history
Martha Buck Martha was born on 15 Oct 1667 and married 27 Oct 1687 at Wethersfield, CT to Jonathan Deming who was born 12 Feb 1662/3 Northampton, Hampshire, MA the son of John Deming
Elizabeth Buck Elizabeth was born 6 June 1670
Mary Buck Mary was born 12 Mar 1672/3 in Wethersfield, Hartford, CT and died in 1761 at Simsbury, Hartford, CT. She married David Buttolph who was born in 1650 and died 15 Apr 1717 at Simsbury, CT.
Sarah Buck Sarah was born on 25 July 1678, and died 31 May 1763 at age 88 years. She was married 8 July 1697 to John Rose by Capt John Chester. John was born 10 June 1675 in Wethersfield, Hartford, CT, and died 5 July 1751. He was the son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Goodrich) Rose.
Ruth Buck Born on 4 Dec 1681 married 14 Mar 1699/70 to Benjamin Smith by Stephen Mix born 12 May 1673 in Hadley, Hampshire, MA died 4 Feb 1755 Hartford, Hartford, CT son of John and Mary (Partridge) Smith
Mahetabel Buck Born on 4 Jan 1684 died 6 Mar 1767 Northfield, Franklin, MA married at Wethersfield, Hartford, CT on 10 Oct 1709 to Ebenezer4 Alexander by Robert Wells, J.P. born 17 Oct 1684 Northfield, Litchfield, CT died 22 Jan 1768 Northfield, Franklin, MA son of John and Sarah (Gaylord) Alexander.
3. Hanna Churchill Hanna Churchill was born on 1 Nov 1644 died 1689 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died after 1688/9 Wallingford, New Haven, CT married 9 Jan 1666/7 Samuel Royce born 1 Nov 1644 New London, CT died 24 Dec 1711 Wallingford, CT son of Robert Royce and Mary Sims. Samuel married 2nd 5 June 1690 to Sarah Baldwin dau of John and Mary (Bruen) Baldwin. Robert Royce (Deacon) Born on 27 Jan 1669 New London, New London, CT died 2 Apr 1759 Wallingford, New Haven, CT married 2 June 1692 to Mary Porter born 28 Feb 1676/7 died 11 Mar 1759 Wallingford, New Haven, CT dau of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Baldwin) Porter
Josiah (Joseph) Royce Born on 14 Feb 1670/1 New London, New London, CT died 1694 Wallingford, New Haven, CT married 12 Dec 1695 to Elizabeth Parker born ca 1673 New Haven, New Haven, CT died 10 Sept 1751 Wallingford, New Haven, CT
Samuel Royce Born on 17 April 1673 New London, New London, CT died 14 May 1757 Meriden, New Haven, CT married 12 Dec 1695 to Hannah Benedict born 8 Jan 1676 Norwalk, Fairfield, CT died 12 Jan 1767 Wallingford, New Haven, CT dau of Thomas and mary (Messenger) Benedict
Abigal Royce Born on 24 Nov 1677 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died 1678 Hartford, Hartford, CT married 13 July 1699 to Joseph Cowles born 18 June 1677 Farmington CT died 30 Nov 1760 Meriden, New Haven, CT son of Samuel and Abigail (Stanley) Cowles
Prudence Royce Born on 26 July 1680 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died 28 June 1742 Wallingfod, New Haven, CT married 18 Nov 1703 to John Austin born 14 Oct 1677 New Haven, New Haven, CT died 8 Apr 1773 Wallingford, New Haven, CT son of John and Mercy (Atwater) Austin
Deborah Royce Born on 8 Sept 1683 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died 15 Dec 1738 Wallinford, New Haven, CT married 21 Mar 1705 to Thomas Mix born 25 Mar 1679 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died 15 Dec 1738 son of Daniel and Ruth (Rockwell) Mix
Isaac Royce Born on 10 May 1688/9 Wallingford, New Haven, CT died 23 March 1728/9 Wallingford, New Haven, CT married 16 Feb 1713 to Mary Benedict born 4 Dec 1693 Norwalk, Fairfield, CT died 10 Feb 1749 Wallingford, New Haven, CT. After Isaac's death his widow married Joseph Holt on 13 July 1730
4. Ann Churchill Ann Churchill was born in 1647 in Wethersfield; Hartford; Connecticut
5. Joseph Churchill Joseph Churchill was born on 2 Dec 1649, Wethersfield, Hartford, CT died 1 Apr 1699, Wethersfield, Hartford, CT married 13 May 1674 at Wethersfield, Hartford, CT to Mary Tousey who died bef 4 Jul 1738, Wethersfield, Hartford, CT.
Children of Joseph Churchill and Mary Tousey are: i. Mary Churchill, b. 06 Apr 1675. ii. Nathaniel Churchill, b. 09 Jul 1677. iii. Elizabeth Churchill, b. 1679. iv. Dinah Churchill, b. 1681; d. 1751. v. Samuel Churchill, b. 1688; d. 1767. vi. Joseph Churchill, b. 1690. vii. David Churchill, b. 1692. viii. Jonathan Churchill, b. 1692. ix. Hannah Churchill, b. 1696.
6. Benjamin Churchill Benjamin Churchill was born on 16 May 1652 married 6 July 1676 Mary died 30 Oct 1712
Ben and Mary's Children Are: Arminel Churchill Born Feb 1709
Prudence Churchill Born 20 Dec 1710
Hezekiah Churchill Born 20 Aug 1712 died 24 June 1714
Mary Churchill Born 6 Oct 1714
Sarah Churchill Born 11 June 1716
Josiah Churchill Born 28 June 1720 died 28 Feb 1791 age 71 yrs
Prudence Churchill Born 2 July 1678
Abigail Churchill Born 18 Feb 1680/1
7. Sara Churchill Sara Churchill was born on 11 Nov 1657 In Wethersfield; Hartford; Connecticut
8. Henery Churchill
the youngest settled in Cobanzy, NJ
Note: For more information on Elizabeth's children see the book "Churchill's In Connecticut" starting with page 323.
Elizabeth Churchill's Timeline
September 8, 1616
Colchester, Essex, England
January 14, 1617
Colchester, Essex, England
January 14, 1618
St James, Colchester, Essex, England
March 24, 1639
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
May 15, 1642
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
October 6, 1647
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
London, Middlesex, England
December 2, 1649
Wethersfield, Hartford , Connecticut
May 16, 1652
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut