Elizabeth Clymer (Meredith)
|Birthplace:||Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Province of Pennsylvania, British Proprietary Colony|
|Death:||Died in Northumberland Co., Pa, USA|
Daughter of Reese Meredith and Martha Meredith
|Managed by:||Charles William Γεωργιος...|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Clymer
About Elizabeth Clymer
- Women of the Constitution: Wives of the Signers pg 42-44, By Janice E. McKenney, Daughters of the American Revolution. District of Columbia
- More info available about her and the family at this site.
Elizabeth Meredith (1743-1815)
- She was the daughter of
- Martha Carpenter, a distant relative of George Clymer’s mother and
- Reese Meredith, a prominent and wealthy merchant in Philadelphia for more than half a century prior to the Revolutionary period.
- Her father was close friends with George Washington long before the Revolution.
- She was a handsome accomplished girl of most exemplary character, and her marriage in March 1765, was considered a highly advantageous union on both sides.
- Husband: George Clymer (1739-1813) of Pennsylvania
- Married on March 18, 1765 at Christ Church in Philadelphia, PA.
- It was considered a highly advantageous union on both sides.
- The married life of the Clymers was very harmonious and happy and only marred by the enforced separations and the hardships caused by the Revolution.
- Like most of the signers, he suffered large losses of property from British depredations.
- John Adams, after meeting her at a social dinner, described her in his diary as a "very facetious and social lady."
- Elizabeth and their children had to move several times during the Revolutionary War to avoid capture by the British.
- Together they had nine children, five of whom reached adulthood, four of whom died in infancy or childhood.
- The others were:
- Henry, born in 1769, married Mary Willing;
- Meredith, who died married;
- Margaret, who married George McCall;
- Nancy, who married Charles Lewis, and
- George , who married Maria O'Brien;
- their son was Dr. Meredith Clymer a noted physician of Philadelphia and New York.
- The others were:
- She died in 1815, two years after her husband, in their estate in Summerseat, Pennsylvania.
Elizabeth Clymer's Timeline
February 24, 1739
Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Province of Pennsylvania, British Proprietary Colony
July 31, 1767
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States
February 24, 1815
Northumberland Co., Pa, USA