Elizabeth Coggswell (Cogswell)
|Birthplace:||Westbury Leigh, Wiltshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Abt. 1692 York Co., Maine|
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Coggswell
view all 19
About Elizabeth Coggswell
- The descendants of William and Elizabeth Tuttle, who came from old to New England in 1635, and settled in New Haven in 1639, with numerous biographical notes and sketches : also, some account of the descendants of John Tuttle, of Ipswich; and Henry Tuthill, of Hingham, Mass. (1883)
- * A fellow passenger in the "Angel Gabriel" with John Tuttle of Dover was John Cogswell "of Chebasco." He had been a merchant in London. He lost considerable property in the wreck. After living ashore some time in a tent he embarked, a passenger, in a vessel commanded by Capt. Galleys, and took up his abode in Ipswich. He had an unusually large grant of land, 300 acres at Chebasco the next Oct., when there were only two families residing in that parish. He was a wealthy and prominent inhabitant of Ipswich. He d. Nov. 29, 1669, a. about 58. His wife, Elizabeth, d. June 2, 1676; chil.
- I. William, b. 1621; dea. at Ipswich, and d. thr. Dec. 15, 1700, a. 81; m. Susanna __. As an evidence of his standing, the historian of Ipswich says that after his d. his wid. sat in the meeting with the minister's wife. His s. John was f. of Nathaniel, f. of Col. Amos, f. of Francis, who d. 1881, in his 91st year. A sis. of Francis, was mo. of Hon. John Wentworth of Chicago, Author of the Wentworth Genealogy.
- II. John, b. 1623; d. 1653, leaving 3 chil.
- III. Edward.
- IV. Mary, "perhaps," says Savage, "that maid servant of Gov. Bellingham that joined the Boston chh., Aug. 29, 1677;" m. Godrey Armitage of Boston.
- V. Hannah, m. Cornelius Waldo, who moved to Chelmsford, Mass. 1657, and was deacon there. All lived at Ipswich.
- VI. Abigail, m. Thomas Clark.
- VII. Sarah, m. Simon Tuttle.
- VIII. 'ELIZABETH, m. 1657, JOHN PAINE.
- Besides the above chil. of John Cogswell, the Rev. E. O. Jamieson, genealogist of the Cogswell family, says there was an elder dau. who m. and lived in London.