Elizabeth Damon (Gould)
|Birthplace:||Stoneham, Middlesex, Massachusetts|
|Death:||Died in Reading, Middlesex, Massachusetts|
|Cause of death:||Throat distemper|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Damon
About Elizabeth Damon
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850 Name: Elizabeth Gould Gender: Female Spouse: Jabez Damon Marriage Date: 22 Nov 1744 City: Stoneham County: Middlesex Dodd, Jordan, Liahona Research, comp.. Massachusetts, Marriages, [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
- The Giles Memorial. Genealogical Memoirs of the Families Bearing the Names ... By John Adams VINTON
- 1. JOHN GOULD1 was admitted a freeman of the Massachusetts Colony, May 2, 1638. He lived in Charlestown; not on the peninsula, to which the name is now confined, but in that section of the old town which was known as "Charlestown-End," and was incorporated as the town of Stoneham, Dec. 17, 1725. He was probably one of the earliest inhabitants of Stoneham.
- There was a John Gould, who, with his wife Grace, each of the age of 25 years, embarked for America in the Defence from London, July 7,1635. They were from Towcester, in Northamptonshire. It has been supposed that this John Gould was the father of the Gould family of Stoneham. This is by no means certain. The officer whose duty it was to record the names of the emigrants from Old to New England, in 1635, would hardly have made the mistake of writing Grace, instead of Mary, as the name of John Gould's wife. Yet, if any of the readers of this Sketch should be inclined to think that the father of the Stoneham Goulds brought with him from London a wife GRACE, in 1635; that she died shortly after their arrival; and that he then married a second wife, MARY; there is certainly nothing to forbid the supposition. The matter must be left in doubt : the probabilities are perhaps equal on both sides.
- MARY, the wife of John Gould, died Sept. 28, 1642. [Charlestown Records.] He then married JOANNA ---- , who survived him, and died, Aug. 27, 1697, aged ONE HUNDRED YEARS.(+)
- John Gould — or Gold, as the name appears in his will — seems to have died in the year 1690. His will is dated Jan. 3, 1688-9 ; proved, July 2, 1690; recorded, Midd. Prob. 7 : 85. He says nothing of his
- wife, though living. He speaks of his sons John Gold, Daniel Gold, and Thomas Gold. The last (Thomas) seems to have deceased, some time before ; for he is mentioned only in connection with the testator's "grandson, Thomas Gold, son of my son Thomas Gold." then under 21 years of age. The testator's son-in-law, John Birbene, is also mentioned. His estate is bounded, in part, by Thomas Cutler's fence — "that is the north line;" "south on ye River; east on ye Pond." As Thomas Cutler lived in Stoneham, near the line of South Reading, there can be no doubt that John Gould,1 the testator, also lived in the present territory of Stoneham.
- His children were — by first wife, Mary —
- 2. Mary,2 bap. Jan. 29, 1636-7.
- 3. Sarah,2 bap. Dec. 15, 1637; m. April 2, 1660, John Burbeen, of Woburn. She d. May 14, 1670. Children—
- Mary, b. July 2, 1661. John, b. Aug. 9, 1663. James, b. May 15, 1668.
- 4. Elizabeth,2 bap. Feb. 17, 1640.
- 5. Abigail,2 bap. Sept. 26, 1642; m. April 1, 1669, William Rogers. They probably lived in Stoneham ; as we find a William Rogers, either the same, or their son, who was taxed there in 1726.
- By second wife, Joanna —
- 6. Hannah,2 b. Oct. 26, 1644; m. Thomas Elliot, June 10, 1675.
- 7. John,2 b. Jan. 21, 1646-7 ; d. March 8, 1647.
- 8. (t)John,2 b. Aug. 5, 1648 ; in. 1, ---- ; 2, Martha ---- .
- 9. Thomas,2 b. ---- ; had a son Thomas,3 as mentioned in the will, already quoted.
- 10. (t)Daniel,2 b. 1653 ; m. Dorcas ---- .
- SECOND GENERATION.
- 8. JOHN GOULD,2 son of John1 and Joanna Gould of Stoneham, then part of Charlestown .... etc.
- 10. DANIEL GOULD,2 son of John and Joanna Gould; b. 1653; m. DORCAS ---- . She was b. 1656; and died June 5, 1730, ae. 74. [Grave-stone.] She lies buried next her son David, and near her son Daniel.
- He lived in Stoneham, and died intestate, March 25, 1697, a. 44.
- His widow Dorcas was appointed administratrix, .... etc.
- We know of no other children of his than the following : —
- 21. (t)Daniel,3 b. 1688; m. Susanna Pearson, 1710.
- 22. (t)David,3 b. 1691 ; m. Elizabeth Green, about 1715.
- Probably there were others, whose names are not preserved.
- THIRD GENERATION.
- 11. JOHN GOULD,3 (John,2 John,1) .... etc.
- 22. DAVID GOULD,3 (Daniel,2 John,1) brother of the preceding; b. in Stoneham, 1691; m. about 1715, ELIZABETH GREEN,3 b. in Malden,
- Nov. 16, 1687, dau. of Samuel2 and Mary (Cook) Green. Samuel2 was a son of Thomas Green1 of that place. See Vinton Memorial, p. 399.
- He resided in Stoneham all his days ; and, with his brother Daniel, was a member of the Church there, from its formation. He d. April 3, 1760, ae. 69. His wife Elizabeth d. April 18, 1753, ae. 64. [Grave-stones.
- His will is dated Jan. 10, 1760; .... etc.
- His children were —
- 53. (t)David,4 b. Nov. 2, 1716; m. 1, Esther Green ; 2, Sarah Richardson.
- 54. Elizabeth,4 b. Sept. 4, 1718 ; d. Sept. 7, 1719.
- 55. Elizabeth,4 b. Sept. 7, 1721 ; m. Jabez Damon of Stoneham, Nov. 22, 1744. They had Elizabeth, and Mary.
- 56. Mary,4 b. April 6, 1724; m. Jacob Lynde of Malden, March 28, 1746. They had Mary, and Lydia.
- 57. (t)Jacob,4 b. Oct. 14, 1726; m. Elizabeth Holden of Stoneham.
- FOURTH GENERATION.
- 24. JOHN GOULD,4 (John,3 John,2 John,1) .... etc.