Elizabeth Gates (Clopton)
|Also Known As:||"Elizabeth Clapton"|
|Birthplace:||Kentwell Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Suffolk, England, United Kingdom|
Daughter of Sir William Clopton, Lord of Castlynes and Joan Clopton
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth (Clopton) Gates
About Elizabeth (Clopton) Gates
- Elizabeth Clopton1,2
- F, #58945, b. circa 1483
- Father Sir William Clopton, Burgess for Maldon1,2 b. c 1458, d. 20 Feb 1531
- Mother Joan Marrow1 b. c 1460
- Elizabeth Clopton was born circa 1483 at of Kentwell Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk, England.1 She married Sir Geoffrey Gates, son of William Gates and Mabel Capdow, circa 1502.1,2
- Family Sir Geoffrey Gates b. c 1484, d. 7 May 1526
- Sir John Gates, Chancellor of the Duchy & Captain of the Guard1 b. c 1504, d. 22 Aug 1553
- Sir Henry Gates2 b. c 1520, d. 7 Apr 1589
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 321.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1962.htm#i58945
- The visitation of Suffolke (1866) Vol. 1
- .... etc.
- This is the declaracion of me John Clopton, esquyer, of my will made the xx'ti day of February, in the xii yere of Kyng Henry the vii, for Geffrey Gates landes, and for his mariage which I have of the graunte of the Kynge* duryng his nonage which is a ix yere to come.
- Furste, I will that he shall marie with Elizabeth, oon of the doughters of my son Willyam, if she live, and if she dey, if he will marie with any of my saide sonnes doughters, I holde me content, and if he wilnot than my executours to sell his mariage to some good blode, and to geve to the saide Geffrey of his mariage money a hondreth nobles, .... etc.
- .... etc.
- Sir William Clopton, Kt of Kentwell, sonne and heire to John, maried — daughter of — Marro of Stepney, int he Countye of Mydlesex, and by her hath yssue John Clopton; William Clopton; and Robert Clopton, a preist; a daughter maried to Sr Geffrey Gates; another maryed to Richard Powley of Boxted; the third maryed to Awstyn.
- The said Sr William Maryed to his seconde wyffe Thomasin .... etc.
- Sr Willm Clopton of Kentwell, in Suff., Knight, sone of Sr John, specified in ye former visitacon, married ye daughter of Marrowes of Stepney, in Middlesex, and had issue John, sone and heire; William, 2; Robert, 3, a priest; 3 daughters, one married to Sr Geffrey Gates of High Ester, in Essex; 2d married to Richard Pooley of Boxted, in Suff., Esq.; ye 3d daugher married to Austin. Ye said Sr William married to his 2d wife Thomasen, sister and co heire to Edward Knevet .... etc.
- The visitation of the county of Gloucester, taken in the year 1623 (1885)
- CHART - Gates. Pg. 65-66
- .... etc.
- Will'm Gates Esqr. = Mabell d. and heire of Thomas Capdow of High Ester by Anne d. and heire of . . . . Fleming of Essex. ; ch: Sr Geffrey (m. Elizabeth Clopton), Anne (m. Thom. Darcye) Gates.
- .... etc.
- Sr Geffrey Gates of . . . . in com. Essex Knt. = Elizabeth d. of Sr William Clopton of Kentwell in com. Suffolk Knt. ; ch: 1. Sr John, 2. Geffrey (m. Elizabeth Walsingham) Gates, (Pg.66 Sr Henry (m. Lucy Knevett & Catherine Vaughan), [Albericus et Will'mus ob. s.p.¹])
- 1. Sr John Gates Knt. Captaine of the Guard and of the Privye Councell to H 8. Chancellor of the Dutchy of Lanck. Attainted in the time of Q. Mary. Ob. s.p.
- 2. Geffrey Gates. = Elizabeth d. of William Walsingham sister of Sr Francis Walsingham Knt. Secretary of State.; ch: Geffrey (m. Elizabeth Pinchon), Joyce (m. John Taverner), 2. Anthony (m. Judith Taverner) Gates.
- .... etc.
- Sr Henry Gates of Seymer in com. York. = Lucy wiffe 1 of Thom. Knevett of Buckenham Castell in com. Norfolk.; ch: Edward (m. Elizabeth Cave), 2. John (m. Issabell Knowsell), 3. Henry (m. Elizabeth Robinson), Catherine (m. Richard Egerton) Gates.
- .... etc.
- The visitations of Essex by Hawley, 1552 .... Vol. 14
- Pg. 574
- CHART - Gates
- .... etc.
- William Gates son & heir. = Mabell d. & heir of Tho. Capdow. ; ch: Sir Geffrey (m. Elizabeth Clopton), Ann (m. Thomas Darcy) Gates
- .... etc.
- Sir Geffrey Gates of . . . . in com. Essex knight. = Elizabeth d. of Sr William Clopton of Kentwell in Suff. ; ch: Sir John (m. Mary Denny), Geffrey (m. . . . Pascall), Sir Henry, William (ob. s.p.), Dorathey (m. Tho. Josselyn) Gates
- Sir Henry Gates of Seymour in com. Ebor., vide Yorkshire.
- Dorathey ux. Tho. Josselyn of Josselyn Hall.
- Sir John Gates kt Captain of the Guard to E. 6 Chancellor Sr Edward of the Duchy & one of the Privy Council ob. s.p. = Mary d. of Sr Edward Denny.
- Geffrey Gates. = . . . . d. of . . . . Pascall of Essex. ; ch: Geffrey (m. Joane Wentworth), Henry, John Gates.
- Geffrey Gates. = Joane d. of . . . . Wentworth. ; ch: Peter Gates
- Elizabeth Clapton Gates
- Birth: 1485 Long Melford, Suffolk, England
- Death: unknown
- Elizabeth was born abt 1485. She married abt 1508 in Kentwell, Geoffrey Gates
- Children of Geoffrey Gates and Elizabeth Clapton
- 1. Dorothy b 1508 in Loddington, England, d. 11 Feb 1581/2
- 2. Alice b abt 1509 in High Easter, England
- 3. Sir John b. 1510 in Roding Beauchamp, England, d. 22 Aug 1553
- 4. Geoffrey b. abt 1512 in High Easter, England. d. 22 Aug 1553
- 5. Henry b abt 1513 in High Easter, England, d 7 Apr 1589
- 6. William b abt 1515 in High Easter, England
- 7. Avery b 1516 in High Easter, England
- 8. Albert b 1517 in High Easter, England
- Family links:
- William Clopton (1454 - 1530)
- Geoffrey Gates (1484 - 1526)*
- John Gates (1504 - 1553)*
- Geoffrey Gates (1506 - 1553)*
- Dorothy Gates Josselyn (1508 - 1581)*
- Alice Gates (1509 - ____)*
- William Gates (1510 - ____)*
- Henry Gates (1513 - 1589)*
- Avery Gates (1516 - ____)*
- Albert Gates (1517 - ____)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 48574549
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=48574549
- Stephen Gates of Hingham and Lancaster, Massachusetts, and his descendents : a preliminary work subject to addition and correction
- Pg. 6
- e. .... etc.
- f. WILLIAM GATES (Sir Geoffrey c, William b, Thomas a) of Essex, England m. Mabel, daugher and heiress of Thomas Capdow of Higheaster, Essex, and his wife Ann, daughter and heiress of Thomas Fleming of Essex, England.
- Children of William Gates f. Fifth generation.
- g. Sir Geoffrey. m. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Clapton, Knight, of Kentwell, Sussex, England.
- h. ... etc.
- g. SIR GEOFFREY GATES (William f, Sir Geoffrey c, William b, Thomas a), m. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Clapton, Knight, of Kentwell, Sussex, England.
- Children of Sir Geoffrey Gates g. Sixth generation
- i. Sir John. m. Mary, daughter of Sir Edward Denny. Sir John Gates was Gentleman of the Bedchamber to Henry VIII, and was remembered in the Will of the King (See Strypes' Annals). He became Master of the Horse to King Edward VI, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and of the Privy Council. He lost his head (dying sine prole) for High Treason in the matter of Lady Jane Grey.
- j. Geoffrey. m. ? Pascall of Essex, England
- k. Henry. He was of Somer, County York, England and from him the Gates of Yorkshire are derived.
- l. William. He left no children
- m. Dorothy. m. Sir Thomas Josselyn, of Josselyn Hall.
- j. GEOFFREY GATES (Sir Geoffrey g, William f, Sir Geoffrey c, William b, Thomas a), of Higheaster, Essex, England. m. Pascall of Essex, England.
- Children of Geoffrey Gates j. Seventh generation.
- n. Geoffrey. m. Joan Wentworth.
- o. Henry.
- p. John. ((General Horatio Gates of Revolutionary War fame descended from this John Gates. For the benefit of the many persons who claim a descent from General Horatio Gates it should be known that he left no posterity.)
- n. GEOFFREY GATES (Geoffrey j, Sir Geoffrey g, William f, Sir Geoffrey c, William b, Thomas a). m. Joan Wentworth.
- Children of Geoffrey Gates n. Eighth generation.
- q. Peter. m. Mary Josselyn. He was of London, England.
- q. PETER GATES (Geoffrey n, Geoffrey j, Sir Geoffrey g, William f, Sir Geoffrey c, William b, Thomas a). of London, England m. Mary Josselyn.
- Children of Pater Gates q. Ninth generation.
- r. Thomas. He was of Norwich, Norfolk County, England.
- r. THOMAS GATES (Peter q, Geoffrey n, Geoffrey j, Sir Geoffrey g, William f, Sir Geoffey c, William b, Thomas a), of Norwich, Norfolk County, England
- Child of Thomas Gates r. Tenth generation in England, and First generation in America:
- s. Stephen. m. Ann.
- From this point Stephen become the head of the Gates family in America, and is numberd 1, dropping the distinguishing letter (s) used here.
- GATES IN AMERICA.
- .... etc.
- THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES PROB 11/37, f. 123
- SUMMARY: The document below is the Prerogative Court of Canterbury copy of the last will and testament, dated 12 August 1550 and proved 17 December 1554, of Geoffrey Gates, the son of Sir Geoffrey Gates (d. 1526) and his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Clopton (for the will of Sir William Clopton (d.1530), see ERO D/DRg 1/95).
- The testator’s brother, Sir John Gates (1504–1553), Sir John Gates (1504-1553) was replaced as executor by a codicil dated January 28, 1554, having been executed on 22 August 1553 along with John Dudley (1504-1553), Duke of Northumberland, as a result of Northumberland’s failed attempt to put his daughter-in-law, Lady Jane Grey, on the throne after the death of Edward VI (see BL Stowe Charter 633-4).
- Sir John Clopton (1423-1497), who had the wardship of the testator’s father, Sir Geoffrey Gates (d. 1526), and directed in his will that his ward, Sir Geoffrey Gates (d. 1526), should marry Elizabeth, the daughter of Sir John Clopton’s eldest son and heir, Sir William Clopton (d.1530), which marriage took place, as noted above.
- Both the testator’s brother, Sir John Gates (1504-1553) and another of the testator’s brothers, Sir Henry Gates (d.1588/9) are bequeathed legacies by the testator, and Sir Henry Gates (d.1588-9) was a witness to the will. For the will of Sir Henry Gates, dated 20 December 1588, see TNA PROB 11/73, ff. 376-9.
- One of the testator’s sisters, Anne Gates, married Thomas Darcy, the uncle of Thomas (1506-1558), 1st Baron Darcy of Chiche, Vice-Chamberlain of King Edward VI's household, and brother-in-law of the 16th Earl of Oxford. For the will of Thomas (1506-1558), 1st Baron Darcy of Chiche, see TNA PROB 11/44, ff. 75-6.
- Another of the testator’s sisters, Dorothy, was at court during the years 1540-42 in the household of Queen Katherine Howard (1518x24-1542), and married Sir Thomas Josselyn (b. 1507, d. 24 October 1562). For the will of the testator’s brother-in-law, Sir Thomas Josselyn (b. 1507, d. 24 October 1562), see TNA PROB 11/47, ff. 213-14.
- For Modern spelling transcript copyright ©2010 Nina Green All Rights Reserved
- the will of the testator’s sister, Dorothy (nee Gates) Josselyn (d.1583?), see TNA PROB 11/65, ff. 79-80.
- The testator’s sister, Dorothy (nee Gates) Josselyn (d.1583?), and her husband, Sir Thomas Josselyn (b. 1507, d. 24 October 1562), had a daughter, Jane Josselyn, who married Oxford’s receiver, Richard Kelton (d.1578). Richard Kelton is mentioned as a friend in the will of Oxford’s stepfather, Charles Tyrrell (d.1570), and was a witness to the will:
- Although no children are mentioned in the testator’s brief will below, the testator’s sons, Geoffrey and Anthony, are mentioned in the will of the testator’s brother, Sir Henry Gates (d.1588/9), as well as in the will, dated 28 January 1582, of Mary (nee Denny) Gates, the widow of the testator’s brother, Sir John Gates (1504–1553). The testator’s son, Geoffrey Gates, was likely the Geoffrey Gates of Lincoln’s Inn who on 9 July 1580 entered into an indenture with his first cousin, Jane (nee Josslyn) Kelton, for the purchase of the 21-year lease of Colne Priory, dated 12 February 1577, made by Oxford to his then receiver, Richard Kelton (d.1578). See ERO D/DPr/175, available on microfilm as ERO Ph 4/152/5. For the will of Mary (nee Denny) Gates, see TNA PROB 11/65, ff. 218-19.
- According to the pedigrees of Walsingham and of Wentworth of Lillingstone Lovell, the testator’s wife, Elizabeth (d.1596), was the daughter of William Walsingham and his wife, Joyce (nee Denny) Walsingham, and the sister of Sir Francis Walsingham (1532-1590). After the testator’s death, Elizabeth married Peter Wentworth (1524–1597) of Lillingstone Lovell, the eldest son of Sir Nicholas Wentworth (d.1553) of Lillingstone
- Modern spelling transcript copyright ©2010 Nina Green All Rights Reserved
- Pg. 3
- Lovell, chief porter of Calais, and his wife, Jane (d.1569), the daughter of John Josselyn. For the will of Sir Nicholas Wentworth (d.1553), see TNA PROB 11/39, ff. 144-5. For the will of John Josselyn, see TNA PROB 11/22, ff. 17-19.
- Peter Wentworth (1524–1597) and his wife Elizabeth (nee Walsingham) Gates Wentworth (d.1596), had four sons, including Nicholas Wentworth (1561-1613), who married Susanna, the daughter of co-heir of Roger Wigston of Wolston, Warwickshire, in whose home two of the Marprelate tracts were printed; Walter Wentworth (d.1627); and Thomas Wentworth (1567/8–1628), and six daughters: Katherine Wentworth (d.1558); Christian Wentworth (1558-1567); Christian Wentworth, who married John Amyas; Frances Wentworth (d.1636), who married Walter Strickland (d.1636) of Boynton, Yorkshire; and Mary Wentworth (d.1616), whom married Sir Edward Boys (d.1616) of Fredvill, Kent.
- The involvement of Peter Wentworth (1524–1597) in the issue of the succession resulted in his death as a prisoner in the Tower. From the online edition of The Dictionary of National Biography: Soon after Mary Stuart's execution in 1587, Wentworth drafted A Pithie Exhortation to her Majestie for Establishing her Successor to the Crowne. He hoped to offer it in the parliament of 1589, but, having failed in that ambition, Wentworth lobbied for its presentation to the queen and found himself in temporary confinement once again. He was quite incorrigible, and his meeting with several MPs before the parliament of 1593 to discuss how they might pursue the subject in the Commons turned out to be a fateful decision. Wentworth found himself back in the Tower, and there he remained until his death. . . . Elizabeth was given permission to live with her husband in the Tower where she died in July 1596. Wentworth himself died there on 10 November 1597.
- RM: Testamentum Galfridi Gate
- In nomine Dei Amen. I, Geoffrey Gates, maketh my last will and testament the 12th day of August Anno 1550 in manner and form following:
- First I bequeath my soul and body to God’s hand, whom I perfectly believe shall have it through Jesus Christ;
- Item, I bequeath all my goods, leases and that that is mine to my well-beloved wife, Elizabeth Gates, paying my debts;
- Item, I will that mine iron chest, with forty pounds to the same, to be delivered to the King’s Majesty at such time as it shall be thought convenient by my brothers, John and Henry;
- Item, I bequeath to my said brothers two of the best horses or geldings that I have, that is to say, either of them one;
- Item, I give unto Henry Whittacre, my servant, forty shillings;
- And of this my last will I make my wife sole executrix;
- In witness whereof I have set to my hand the day and year above-written. Per me Galfridum Gate. These witnesses: Sir Henry Gate, knight, Robert Hall & Robert Aston, gentlemen, & Henry Whittacre, with others.
- Probatum fuit suprascriptum testamentum coram Magistro Willelmo Cooke Legum doctore curie prerogatiue Cantuariensis Custode siue Commissario Sede Archiepiscopali Iam vacante xvijo die Mensis Decembris Anno domini Millesimo Quingentesimo quinquagesimo quarto Iuramento Roberti Alen procuratoris Executricis in huiusmodi testamento nominate Ac approbatum et insinuatum Et comissa fuit administracio omnium bonorum &c dicti Defuncti prefate executrici De bene et fideliter administrando eadem Ac de pleno Inuentario &c exhibendo Ad sancta dei Euangelia in Debita Iuris forma Iurate
- [=The above-written testament was proved before Master William Cooke, Doctor of the Laws, Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, the Archiepiscopal seat now being vacant, on the 17th day of the month of December in the year of the Lord the thousand five hundred fifty-fourth by the oath of Robert Allen, proctor of the executrix named in the same testament, and probated and entered, and administration was granted of all the goods etc. of the said deceased to the forenamed executrix, sworn on the Holy Gospels in due form of law to well and faithfully administer the same, and to exhibit a full inventory etc.]
- Lucy KNYVETT
- Died: 1577
- Father: Charles KNYVETT
- Mother: Anne LUCY
- Married: Henry GATES (b. BEF 1523 - d. 7 Apr 1589) (son of Geoffrey Gates and Elizabeth Clopton) BEF 1544, High Easter, Essex, England
- 1. Edward GATES
- 2. Mary GATES
- 3. John GATES
- 4. William GATES
- 5. Henry GATES
- 6. Elizabeth GATES
- 7. Frances GATES (m. John Alured)
- 8. Catherine GATES (m. Richard Egerton)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/KNYVETT.htm
- Correction to Gates Info previously sent
- .... etc.
- WILLIAM GATES, son of Geoffrey and Agnes, b. about 1450 in Norfolk, England. d. 1485; m. MABEL CAPDOW b. 1454. Children: Geoffrey Gates (see Paragraph following); Ann Gates b. unknown, died unknown, m. Thomas Darcy.
- GEOFFREY GATES, b. abt 1475 in Essex, England, d. 1536, m. ELIZABETH CLAPTON. Children: Dorothy Gates m. Thomas Josselyn; Henry Gates b. in Semer, York, England; John Gates, m. Margaret Denny; William Gates; Geoffrey Gates (see paragraph following).
- GEOFFREY GATES, son of Geoffrey and Elizabeth Clapton, b. about 1506 in High Estre, Essex, England, d. 1553, m. ______ Pascall. Children: Geoffrey Gates (see paragraph following); Henry Gates; John Gates.
- GEOFFREY GATES, b 1525 High Estre, Essex, England, m. Joan Wentworth. Child: Peter Gates (see paragraph following).
- PETER GATES, b. abt 1555 in High Estre, Essex, England. d. London, England. m. Mary Josselyn (b. abt 1568) 6 OCT 1605 in Parish of High Roding, Essex, England. Child: Thomas Gates (see paragraph following).
- THOMAS GATES, son of Peter and Mary Josselyn, was b. abt 1582 in Hingham, Norfolk CO., England, d. 1635 in Hingham, Norfolk CO., England. He m. Elizabeth Rose (b. 1580 in Hingham, Norfolk CO., Eng., d. 25 JUL 1635 in Hingham, England.). Children: Stephen Gates (see paragraph following); Thomas Gates, b. abt 1595 in Hingham, Norfolk County, England, d. 1635, m. Margaret McIntyre 24 JUN 1622 in Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- STEPHEN GATES b. abt 1599/1600 Norwich, England, d. 1662 Cambridge, MA. m. Anne Veare (Hill) 5 MAY 1628 Hingham, Eng. Anne was b. about 1603 and d. 5 FEB 1683 in Stowe, MA. Stephen and Anne came from Hingham England 1638 with their children on ship "DILIGENT". Children were: Elizabeth Gates, b. abt 1634 in Hingham, Norfolk CO. ENG.; d. 09 JUN 1707 in Stowe, Middlesex CO., MA. m. John Lazell 29 NOV 1649 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA; Stephen Gates b. abt 1634 in Hingham, Norfolk CO., England, d. 9 JUN 1707 in Stowe, Middlesex CO., MA, m. Sarah Woodward 1663 in Stow, Middlesex CO., MA; Mary Gates b. 15 OCT 1636 in Hingham, Norfolk CO., England, d. Abt 1678 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, MA, m. John Maynard 5 APR 1658 in Sudbury, Middlesex Co., MA; Simon Gates b. 1645 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA, d. 21 APR 1693 in Brockton, Plymouth CO., MA. m. Margaret Barstow NOV 1670 in Cambridge, Middlesex CO., MA; Thomas Gates (see paragraph following), Isaac Gates b. 1643 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA, d. 03 SEP 1651 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA; and Rebecca Gates b. 1646 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA, d. between JAN 1648/49-50 in Hingham, Plymouth CO., MA.
- THOMAS GATES, son of Stephen and Anne, was born abt 1642, c. 3 MAY 1646, in Hingham, Norfolk, England. D. 10 AUG 1726 Preston, New London, Ct. M. ELIZABETH FREEMAN 6 JUL 1670 Sudbury, MA. Children: John Gates, Elizabeth Gates, Sarah Gates, Joseph Gates, Josiah Gates, Deborah Gates, Ann Gates,Mary Gates, Abigail Gates, Ruth Gates and CALEB GATES.
- .... etc.
- i. William Gates this genertation omitted by FMG
- m. Mabell Capdow (dau/heir of Thomas Capdow of High Easter by Agne, dau/heir of (Sir) Thomas Fleming of Essex) called Mirabell by Foster
- a. Sir Geffrey Gates 'of High Roding' of Essex
- m. Elizabeth Clopton (dau. of Sir William Clopton of Kentwell)
- (1) Sir John Gates (dsp, Captain of the Guard)
- m. Mary Denny (dau of Sir Edward (sb Edmund?) Denny)
- (2) Geffrey Gates
- Foster identifies Geffrey's wife as _ Pasthall of Essex and shows Elizabeth Walsingham (m2. Peter Wentworth) as 2nd wife of his brother Sir John. Berry, who does not mention Elizabeth Walsingham at all, shows Geffrey's wife as _ Pascall of Essex. We are following Visitation (Gloucester) & FMG in showing Geffrey's wife as ...
- m. Elizabeth Walsingham (dau of William Walsingham, sister of Secretary-of-State Sir Francis)
- (A) Geffrey Gates of Bury St. Edmunds (a 1623)
- m. Elizabeth Pinchon (dau of John Pinchon of Writtell)
- (i) Geffrey Gates (b c1593)
- The following comes from Berry's Essex Pedigrees (1878, Gates).
- m. Joane Wentworth
- (a) Peter Gates
- (ii)+ other issue (a 1623) - Henry, John, Peter, Paul, 2 sons, 1 daughter
- (B) Anthony Gates
- m. Judith Taverner (dau of Roger Taverner of Essex (surveyor of the woods))
- (i) Timothy Gates of Cleve, Gloucestershire (parson)
- m. Catherine Bridges (dau of Charles Bridges of Wilton)
- (a)+ issue (a 1623) - Francs (b c1621), Judith, Ellinor, Catherine, Jane
- (ii) Thomas Gates of the Inner Temple
- (iii) Judith Gates
- m. Robert Lydcott of Berkshire
- (iv) Mary Gates
- m. Valentyne Wirley of Dodford (Worley of Dadford)
- (v) Elizabeth Gates
- m. Charles Crafford or Cratford of Worcestershire
- (a)+ issue - Christopher (b c1622), Judith (b c1620), Petronella (b c1621), Elizabeth (b c1623), Catherine (d infant)
- (C) Joyce Gates
- m. John Taverner (son of John of Upminster (surveyor general))
- (3) Sir Henry Gates of Seymer or Seamer, Yorkshire (d 07.04.1589)
- m1. Lucy Knevett (d 01.10.1577, dau. of Thomas Knevett of Buckenham Castle) .... issue etc. ....
- m2. (sp) Catherine Vaughan (d 15.11.1594, dau. of Watkyn Vaughan of Bredwardyn, widow of James Boyle of Hereford, m3. Robert White of Aldershot)
- (4) Dorothy Gates mentioned by FMG & Berry
- m. Thomas Josselyn of Josselyn Hall
- (5)+ other issue (dsp) - Alberic/Avery, William
- b. .... etc.
- Main source(s): Visitation (Gloucestershire, 1623, Gates) with some support/input as reported above
- From: Stirnet.com
Elizabeth (Clopton) Gates's Timeline
Long Melford, Suffolk, England
Roding Beauchamp, Essex, England
High Easter, Essex, England
Loddington, Northamptonshire, England, United Kingdom
Thorpe Malsor, Northamptonshire, England
High Easter, Essex, England
High Easter, Essex, England
High Easter, Essex, England
High Easter, Essex, England