Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Gray
About Elizabeth Gray
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on Elizabeth Bethune:
Elizabeth Bethune 
- F, #109279
- Last Edited=29 May 2008
Elizabeth Bethune was the daughter of Sir John Bethune, 2nd of Creich and Janet Hay.,
She married, firstly, John Stewart, 4th Lord Innermeath, son of Richard Stewart, 3rd Lord Innermeath and Margaret Lindsay, between January 1537 and 1540.
She married, secondly, James Gray, son of Patrick Gray, 4th Lord Gray and Marion Ogilvy, in June 1573. She and James Gray were divorced on 10 June 1581 on the grounds of James' adultery with Elizabeth's niece, Isabel Bethune.
She was also known as Elizabeth Beaton.
From between 1537 and 1540, her married name became Stewart. On 9 March 1566 she was present at the murder of Rizzio, along with Queen Mary.
From June 1573, her married name became Gray.
Child of Elizabeth Bethune and James V Stewart, King of Scotland
- 1. Jean Stewart5 b. bt 1528 - 1542, d. 7 Jan 1587/88
Children of Elizabeth Bethune and John Stewart, 4th Lord Innermeath
- 1. John Stewart d. b 1607
- 2. James Stewart, 5th Lord Innermeath+1 b. bt 1537 - 1539, d. 14 Feb 1585/86
- 1. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume VIII, page 140. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2. [S2226] Lawless Bethune, "re: Bethune Family," e-mail message to www.thepeerage.com, 27 March 2007. Hereinafter cited as "re: Bethune Family."
- 3. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1642. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 4. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 200.
- 5. [S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 242. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.