Elizabeth Courtenay (Sydenham)
|Also Known As:||"Drake"|
|Death:||Died in Powderham, Devon, England|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Courtenay
About Elizabeth Courtenay
- Elizabeth Sydenham1
- F, #249001, d. 9 June 1598
- Last Edited=21 Jul 2012
- Elizabeth Sydenham was the daughter of Sir George Sydenham.1 She married, secondly, Sir William Courtenay, son of Sir William Courtenay and Lady Elizabeth Paulett.1 She married by contract, firstly, Sir Francis Drake, son of Edmund Drake, on 25 August 1595.1 She died on 9 June 1598.1
- Her married name became Drake.1 Her married name became Courtenay.1
- 1.[S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 1124. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p24901.htm#i249001 PHOTO
- Captain Sir Francis DRAKE
- Born: ABT 1540, Buckland Abbey, Devon, England
- Died: 28 Jan 1596/7, aboard DEFIANCE off Porto Bello
- Father: Edmund DRAKE
- Mother: Dau. MYLWAYE
- Married 1: Mary NEWMAN
- Married 2: Elizabeth SYDENHAM (m.2 Sir William Courtenay of Powderham) 1585
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/FrancisDrake.htm
- William COURTENAY of Powderham (Sir Knight)
- Born: ABT 1553
- Died: 24 Jun 1630
- Buried: Powderham, Devonshire, England
- Notes: See his Biography.
- Father: William COURTENAY of Powderham (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth PAULET
- Married 1: Elizabeth MANNERS 18 Jan 1572/3
- 1. Margaret COURTENAY
- 2. Bridget COURTENAY
- 3. Elizabeth COURTENAY
- 4. William COURTENAY (Sir Knight)
- 5. Francis COURTENAY of Powderham (Sir)
- 6. Thomas COURTENAY
- 7. George COURTENAY
- 8. John COURTENAY
- 9. Alexander COURTENAY
- 10. Edward COURTENAY
- Married 2: Elizabeth SYDENHAM (w. of Sir Francis Drake)
- Married 3: Jane HILL
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/COURTENAY2.htm#William COURTENAY of Powderham (Sir Knight)5
- DRAKE, Francis (c.1540-96), of Buckland Abbey and Yealmpton, Devon.
- b. c.1540, s. of Edmund Drake. m. (1) 4 duly 1569, Mary Newman (d.1583), s.p.; (2) 1585, Elizabeth, da. of Sir George Sydenham of Combe Sydenham, s.p. Kntd. 4 Apr. 1581.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/drake-francis-1540-96
- COURTENAY, Sir William I (1553-1630), of Powderham, Devon.
- b. June 1553, 1st s. of Sir William Courtenay† of Powderham by Elizabeth, da. of John Paulet, 2nd Mq. of Winchester. educ. M. Temple 1578. m. (1) lic. 18 Jan. 1573, Lady Elizabeth Manners, da. of Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland, 7s. inc. Sir William II 3da.; (2) Elizabeth (d.1598), da. of Sir George Sydenham of Combe Sydenham, wid. of Francis Drake; (3) Jane, da. of Robert Hill of Yarde, Som. suc. fa. 1557. Kntd. 1576.1
- [Publications] - Somerset Record Society
- A place of noe greet note in respect of itselfe, save for a Satturday markett, which ye late owner of it Sir John Sydenham in our own tyme purchased for it, who hath a goodly house and Parke at Combe Sydenham within this Parish built by his Uncle Sir George Sydenham 2 sonne of Sir John Sydenham his father whose only Daughter and Heire dying issules yett twice marryed first to ye famous Sir Frauncis Drake, and after to Sir William Courtney ; Combe reverted unto him, and now is his grandchildes. Its somewhat lowe, the very name intimates the soile, and I thinke in this hilly Countrey there are more Combes then in all ye County. This place antiently was called Combe Allein from ye owners(1) of it, one of which passed it unto Richard de Sydenham a Judge in Richard ye secondes dayes, but before this Combe had owners of the same name who held it of the Castell of Dunster, by what service this ensuinge Cart(2) by which it was abrogated shall showe. .... etc.
- (1) ex. cart. in custod. Jo. Sidenham arg.
- SUTTON BINGHAM.
- This place is really on a tributary of the Yeo, and should have been entered between Stoford and Barwick. Its history will be found in 'Historical Notes on South Somerset.' Thomas Bingham, by his wife Mary Romsey, had not one but two daughters to survive, the other being Eleanor, wife of Henry Horsey. Sir William Kayleway of Rockborne sold Sutton in 1561 to George Sydenham ; and after the death of his only daughter Elizabeth, widow of Sir Francis Drake, it came to the Sydenhams of Brympton.
- A view of Devonshire in MDCXXX, with a pedigree of most of its gentry (1845)
- Sir William Courtenay, of Powderham, knight.... etc.
- .... Sir George, of Newcastle in Munster, Ireland, baronet, (who married, first a daughter of Sir Francis Barkley, of Ireland, knight, and hath issue ;) three others, and Mary, (first married to Sir John Fitz, of Fitz-Ford in Tavistock, knight; secondly to Lord Audlegh, Earl of Castlehaven, in Ireland ;) Margaret, (second wife to Sir Warwick Hele, of Wembury, knight ; secondly to Sir John Chudlegh, knight, brother to Bartholomew Chudlegh, of Ashton, knight ;) Elizabeth, (wife of Sir William Wrey, of Trebigh in Cornwall, knight ; secondly he married a daughter and heir of Sir George Sydenham, of Somersetshire, knight, the relict of Sir Francis Drake of Buckland, knight, sine prole ; thirdly he married a daughter of Hill, of Somerset, esq., the relict of Bruerton, of Taunton, esq., sans issue.) Francis Courtenay, second son .... etc.
- Peerage of England, genealogical, biographical, and historical (1812) Vol. VI.
- Sir William Courtenay, his son, was four years old at the death of his father. He was knighted in the year 1576, and was
- high sheriff of Devonshire in 1581. In 1585, he was one of those honourable persons who undertook to send over settlers for the better planting of Ireland, and laid the foundation of that great estate in that kingdom, enjoyed by his posterity. He first married Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Manners, Earl of Rutland, and Margaret Nevil, his wife, daughter of Ralph, Earl of Westmoreland ; secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of George Sydenham, Esq. by whom he had no issue ; but by his first Lady he had,
- First, William, knighted, in the year 1599, D y Robert Earl of Essex, for his great services in the Irish wars, and died in the year 1605.
- Second, Francis, who succeeded his father.
- Third, Thomas.
- Fourth, George.
- Fifth, John.
- Sixth, Alexander.
- Seventh, Edward.
- Also three daughters ; first, Margaret, wife of(g) Sir Warwick Hele, and after his decease married to Sir John Chudleigh, Knt. She died July 17th, 1628, and is buried at Richmond, in Surry : second, Mary, wife of Sir William Wray, of Trebich, in Cornwall, Bart, ; third, Gertrude, married to Sir John Fitz, of Fitzford, Knight.
- Families covered: Sydenham of Brimpton, Sydenham of Whetstow
- Walter Sydenham of Brimpton
- m. Margaret Harcourt (dau of Sir Robert Harcourt)
- 1. John Sydenham of Brimpton, Sheriff of Somerset and Dorset (d 07.12.1542)
- m1. Elizabeth Audley (d 08.10.1530, dau of Sir Humphrey Audley)
- A. Sir John Sydenham of Brimpton
- m. Ursula (not Geilis) Brydges (dau of Sir Giles Brydges)
- i. Sir John Sydenham of Brimpton
- m1. Grace Godolphin (dau of Sir William Godolphin of Godolphin)
- a. .... etc.
- ii. Sir George Sydenham of Combe Sydenham
- m. Elizabeth Hales (dau of Sir Christopher Hales)
- a. Elizabeth Sydenham
- m1. (1585) Sir Francis Drake 'the Navigator' (b c1540, dsp 1596)
- m2. (sp) Sir William Courtenay of Powderham Castle, de jure 3rd Earl of Devon (b 1543, d 24.06.1630)
- iii. .... etc.
- Main sources: BEB1844 (Sydenham of Brimpton) with just a little support from Visitation (Somerset, 1623, Sidnam)
- From: Stirnet.com
Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19
Search Results | Download GEDCOM | Print
William COURTENAY (AFN:V9CP-B8) Pedigree
Born: 1553 Place: Of, Powderham, Devonshire, England
Christened: Place: (77-1630)
Died: 24 Jun 1630 Place:
Buried: Place: , Powderham, Devonshire, England
Married: 25 Aug 1595 Place:
Father: William COURTENAY (AFN:9FP4-HH) Family
Mother: Elizabeth PAULET (AFN:8538-TB)
Elizabeth SYDENHAM (AFN:9248-4M) Pedigree
Born: Abt 1563 Place: Combe, Sydenham, Devonshire, England
Died: 9 Jun 1598 Place: Between, 29mar-12jun
Married: 25 Aug 1595 Place:
Father: George SYDENHAM (AFN:9247-KQ) Family
Mother: Elizabeth HALLES (AFN:9248-3G)
Elizabeth Sydenham was the daughter of Sir George Sydenham of Combe Sydenham, Somerset (c.1524-1596) and Elizabeth Hales. She married first, on about February 9, 1585, Sir Francis Drake of Buckland Abbey and Yelverhampton, Devon (c.1540-January 28, 1595/6). Drake was already a hero from his voyage around the world (1577-80). He spent most of their marriage at sea and died aboard his ship in the harbor at Porto Bello and was buried at sea. Elizabeth then married Sir William Courtenay of Powderham, Devon (c.1553-June 24, 1630), as his second wife. She had no children from either marriage and barely rates a footnote in biographies of her famous first husband. Portrait: date unknown.