Elizabeth Wingfield (Goushill), MP
|Also Known As:||"Elizabeth Gousell", "Elizabeth Catherine Gowshill Wingfield", "Lady Elizabeth Duchess of Norfolk"|
|Birthplace:||Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, UK|
|Death:||Died in Letheringham, Suffolk, UK|
|Place of Burial:||Priory Church of St Mary Churchyard ,Letheringham, Suffolk, England|
Daughter of Sir Robert Goushell, of Hoveringham and Elizabeth FitzAlan, Duchess of Norfolk
|Occupation:||Younger daughter and co-heiress, Duchess of Norfolk|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Wingfield, Duchess of Norfolk
About Elizabeth Wingfield, Duchess of Norfolk
Parents: Sir Robert Goushill, Esq, and Elizabeth FitzAlan dau of Richard FitzAlan.
Dutchess of Norfolk
- 'Elizabeth Goushill1,2,3,4,5
- 'F, b. circa 1402, d. after 6 October 1453
- Father Sir Robert Goushill2,6,5 b. c 1355, d. 21 Jul 1403
- Mother Elizabeth FitzAlan2,6 b. c 1371, d. 8 Jul 1425
- ' Elizabeth Goushill was born circa 1402 at of Heveringham, Nottinghamshire, England; Age 1 in 1403.2,3 She married Sir Robert Wingfield, son of Sir Robert Wingfield and Elizabeth Russell, before 1 December 1419; They had 7 sons (John, Robert, Richard, Thomas, Henry, William, & Anthony) and 5 daughters (Elizabeth, Anne, Katherine, Alice, & Margaret).2,4,5 Elizabeth Goushill died after 6 October 1453. She married Sir William Hardewycke circa 1456.
- 'Family 1 Sir William Hardewycke
- ◦Roger Hardwicke+7 d. 1476
- 'Family 2 Sir Robert Wingfield b. 1403
- ◦Anne Wingfield
- ◦Richard Wingfield
- ◦Sir Thomas Wingfield, Justice of the Peace for Norfolk & Suffolk, Escheator of Surrey & Sussex5 d. bt 3 May 1471 - 31 Dec 1471
- ◦Anthony Wingfield
- ◦Sir Robert Wingfield d. a 3 May 1471
- ◦William Wingfield8
- ◦Elizabeth Wingfield+9,3,10 d. 28 Apr 1497
- ◦Sir John Wingfield, Sheriff of Norfolk & Suffolk+11,3 b. c 1426, d. 11 May 1481
- ◦Sir Henry Wingfield, Governor of Orford Castle+3 b. c 1435
- ◦Katherine Wingfield+3 b. c 1444
- 1.[S3763] Unknown author, Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 2009/2010; Ancestral Roots of 60 Colonists, p. 21.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 323-324.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 768-769.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 197.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 459-460.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 195-196.
- 7.[S11572] The Lineage and Ancestry of H.R.H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, by Gerald Paget, Vol. II, p. 450.
- 8.[S147] Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage, 1938 ed., by Sir Bernard Burke, p., 2010.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 563-564.
- 10.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 297.
- 11.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 373-374.
- 'Sir Robert Wingfield of Letheringham, Suffolk (1403 - between 6 October 1452 and 21 November 1454) was an English knight.
- He was son of a senior Sir Robert Wingfield (c. 1370 – 3 May 1409) and Elizabeth Russell. (Letheringham, which is near Wickham Market and Easton, Suffolk, was the site of a small priory which passed to Sir Anthony Wingfield at the Dissolution. The church, which became ruinous in the 18th century and was afterwards restored, contained early Wingfield memorials.)
- The ancestral home of the Wingfield family was Wingfield Castle in Suffolk.
- On 19 May 1426, Robert was knighted at Hereford by King Henry VI of England. From 1427 to 1436 he was knight of the shire for Suffolk. On 28 November 1436, Robert was appointed Steward of the Honour of Richmond in Norfolk.
- In 1443 he became Steward to John de Mowbray, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and accompanied the Duke on his embassy to the court of King Charles VII of France. He was accused of rioting in 1447 and imprisoned in the Marshalsea, but pardoned in 1448. He was appointed knight of the shire for Hertfordshire in 1449.
- He became a Member of Parliament under Henry VI. In 1450, he was denounced in the Parliament of England as one of the King's "evil advisors". He received a Royal Commission in 1451 and died in 1454.
- Marriage and children
- 'He was married before 18 August 1401 to Elizabeth Goushill or Gousell (1396–1491), daughter of Sir Robert Goushill or Gousell of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, and Elizabeth FitzAlan. They were parents to thirteen children:
- Richard Wingfield (c. 1428 – before 1509).
- Sir John Wingfield of Letheringham, Suffolk (c. 1430 – 10 May 1481), High Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, Member of Parliament under both Henry VI and Edward IV of England. Knight of the Bath. He married Elizabeth FitzLewis. They were parents of ten children, including Richard Wingfield.
- Sir Robert Wingfield (c. 1432). Comptroller for Edward IV. Member of Parliament, representing Hertfordshire. Married Anne Harling.
- Sir Henry Wingfield of Orford, Suffolk (c. 1435 – May 1493/1494). Served the House of York during the Wars of the Roses. Knighted by Edward IV for his accomplishments during the Battle of Tewkesbury (4 May 1471). Appointed Governor of Orford Castle. Married first Alice Seckford and secondly Elizabeth Rookes. Ancestor of the Wingfields of Tickencote.
- Sir Thomas Wingfield (c. 1438 – 1475). Knighted by Edward IV for his accomplishments during the Battle of Tewkesbury. Married Philippa Tiptoft, daughter of John Tiptoft, 1st Baron Tiptoft and Joyce Charleton and widow of Thomas de Ros, 9th Baron de Ros of Helmsley and remarried as his third wife to Edward Grimston.
- William Wingfield (c. 1440 – 1509).
- Elizabeth Wingfield (c. 1441 – 28 April 1497). She married in 1462 Sir William Brandon of Wangford, Suffolk and of Soham Court, Suffolk (1425 - 4 March 1491). They were grandparents to Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk.
- Anne Wingfield.
- Katharine or Catherine Wingfield (born c. 1444). Married Sir John Bonville of Halnaker, Sussex. Daughter Florence Bonville (1472 - October 1524) married without children Sir Humphrey Fulford and John Bourchier, 1st Earl of Bath.
- Anthony Wingfield of Glossop, Derbyshire (born c. 1446). Married Mary Duke. Ancestor of the Wingfields of Onslow.
- Agnes Wingfield (born c. 1448). Married John de Fremingham.
- Alice Wingfield.
- Margaret Wingfield.
- 1.^ G. E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors. The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 16.
- 2.^ Charles Mosley, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 3199.
- 'Elizabeth Goushill1,2,3
- 'F, b. circa 1402, d. after 1454
- ' Elizabeth Goushill married Robert Wingfield.4 Elizabeth Goushill was born circa 1402.2 She was the daughter of Sir Robert Goushill of Haverington, Notts and Elizabeth Fitz Alan.2 Elizabeth Goushill died after 1454.2
- 'Child of Elizabeth Goushill and Robert Wingfield
- ◦John Wingfield Knt., K.B., of Letheringham, Suffolk, sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk+5 d. 10 May 1481
- 1.[S9] , 1831.
- 2.[S39] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry-Richardson, p. 768-769.
- 3.[S16] Frederick Lewis and Sheppard, Jr., Walter Lee Weis, AR, 15/33.
- 4.[S16] Frederick Lewis and Sheppard, Jr., Walter Lee Weis, AR, 15/33, 15A33.
- 5.[S39] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry-Richardson, pp. 769 and 373-374.
- Lady Elizabeth Fitzalan, Duchess of Norfolk (1366 - 8 July 1425) was an English noblewoman and the wife of Thomas Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk. Through her eldest daughter, Margaret, she was an ancestress of Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk.
- Marriages and children
- Lady Elizabeth was born in Derbyshire, England, a daughter of Richard Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel and his first wife Elizabeth de Bohun, daughter of William de Bohun, 1st Earl of Northampton and Elizabeth de Badlesmere.
- Elizabeth had four husbands and at least six children:
- William Montacute (before December 1378)
- Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk (1384)
- Thomas de Mowbray, 4th Earl of Norfolk (b. 17 September 1385)
- Margaret de Mowbray (b. 1388), married Sir Robert Howard (1385 - 1436), and from this marriage descended Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk.
- John de Mowbray, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (b. 1392)
- Isabel de Mowbray (b.1400), married James Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley
- Sir Robert Goushill or Gousell of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire (before 18 August 1401)
- 'Elizabeth Goushill or Gousell (1396-1491), wife of Sir Robert Wingfield of Letheringham, Suffolk (1403-between 6 October 1452 and 21 November 1454), they were great-grandparents to Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk.
- Joan or Jean Goushill or Gousell (b. 1409), wife of Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley, King of Mann, and parents of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby.
- Sir Gerald or Gerard Afflete (before 1411)
- She died in Hoveringham, England.
- ^ Memorials of the Order of the Garter, from Its Foundation to the Present ... By George Frederick p. 298 accessed 1 November 2007
Elizabeth Wingfield, Duchess of Norfolk's Timeline
Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, UK
Letheringham, Suffolk, England
Doe Lea, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
Letheringham, Suffolk, , England