Elizabeth Winslow (Barker)
|Birthplace:||Probably of, Chattisham, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Plymouth, Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Winslow Cemetery (now Coles Hill Burial Ground ), Marshfield, Plymouth, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Winslow (Barker), "Mayflower" Passenger
About Elizabeth Winslow (Barker), "Mayflower" Passenger
Elizabeth Barker was the first wife of Gov. Edward Winslow and accompanied him on the "Mayflower" in 1621 to the Plymouth Colony.
Her parents are not known.
"Some ten years before departing on the Mayflower, Elizabeth was among a group of refugees who left Lincolnshire, England seeking refuge in Holland from the religious tyranny they had been subjected to in England. Edward Winslow, then only twenty-two years old, an English traveler, met Elizabeth Barker in the streets of Leiden, Holland."
Leiden, Holland records show that Edward Winslow from London, a printer, registered marriage intentions 27 Apr 1618 with Elizabeth Barker, single, from Chatsum, England (probably Chattisham, Suffolk, England), who was accompanied by Janie Hazel, her niece, and Mary Allerton (Dexter, p. 640,) Harry Martyn, and Morton,"The England and Holland of the Pilgrims" (London, 1906; reprint, Baltimore, 1978). He was the son of Edward Winslow (born 1560) and his second wife, Magdalene Ollyver.
They were married by Rev. John Robinson on 16 May 1618 in Leiden, Holland, where they resided until time of embarkation on the Mayflower to America.
There were no known children of this marriage.
Mrs. Winslow died 24 Mar 1621, the first winter after landing at Plymouth Rock in New Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts, of a "terrible illness" that attacked the Pilgrims. [MD 30:3]
On 12 May 1621, the first wedding in the Plymouth Colony was held: Edward Winslow's second marriage to Susannah Fuller, the widow of William White, and also a Mayflower passenger.
- "Mayflower Increasings/2nd Edition", Susan E. Roser, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., (Baltimore, MD, 1996); ISBN: 0-8063-1479-6.
- [S257] "Winslow Family History Homepage", ().
- [S286] "The Truth About the Pilgrims", Francis R. Stoddard, (New York, NY: Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1952 (Reprinted for Clearfield Company, Inc. by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1992, 1993, 1995)).
- [S255] "The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633", Robert Charles Anderson, (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995).
- [S290] "The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony", James Deetz and Patricia Scott Deetz, (New York, NY: W. H. Freemand and Co., 2000).