Elizabeth Percy (Wriothesley)
|Birthplace:||Tichfield, Southamptonshire, England|
Daughter of Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton and Elizabeth Wriothesley
|Managed by:||Ric Dickinson|
About Elizabeth Percy
Elizabeth Percy, Countess of Northumberland (1646 - 19 September 1690) was a British courtier. She was one of the Windsor Beauties, painted by Sir Peter Lely.
Her father was Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton, and mother was Lady Elizabeth Leigh.
She married Joceline Percy, 11th Earl of Northumberland, on 23 December 1662: they had two children:
- Lady Elizabeth (1667–1722).
- Henry Percy, Lord Percy (1668–1669)
She traveled with her husband to Italy, where he was taken ill and died in Turin, the next year.
Upon his death, being a wealthe heiress, she married Ralph Montagu, 1st Duke of Montagu, at Titchfield, Hampshire, on 24 August 1673; they had two children:
- John Montagu, 2nd Duke of Montagu (c. 1690 – 5 July 1749).
- Anne Montagu, married Alexander Popham.
Elizabeth was an important patron of the artist Peter Lely, who painted her several times. Her portraits were among the Windsor Beauties at Hampton Court and among the series of beautiful women portraits, ordered by Cosimo III de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- 1.^ http://thepeerage.com/p1047.htm#i10468
- 2.^ http://thepeerage.com/p1047.htm#i10468
- 3.^ Leslie Stephen, ed. Dictionary of National Biography. 38. pp. 263. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- 4.^ Catalogue note for Portrait of Lady Wriothesley by Peter Lely
- "Elizabeth Wriothesley, Countess of Northumberland" (1646–90), mother of Lady Elizabeth Percy, Countess of Ogle c 1665
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Percy,_Countess_of_Northumberland_(d._1690)
- 'Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley
- 'F, #10468, b. 1646, d. 19 September 1690
- Last Edited=11 Mar 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.0%
- 'Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley was born in 1646.2 She was the daughter of Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton and Lady Elizabeth Leigh. She married, firstly, Joceline Percy, 11th Earl of Northumberland, son of Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland and Lady Elizabeth Howard, on 23 December 1662. She married, secondly, Ralph Montagu, 1st Duke of Montagu, son of Edward Montagu, 2nd Baron Montagu of Boughton, on 24 August 1673. She died on 19 September 1690.
- ' Her married name became Percy. Her married name became Montagu.
- 'Child of Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley and Joceline Percy, 11th Earl of Northumberland
- 1.Lady Elizabeth Percy+ b. 26 Jan 1666/67, d. 23 Nov 1722
- 'Children of Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley and Ralph Montagu, 1st Duke of Montagu
- 1.Ralph Montagu2 b. 1679, d. 1689
- 2.John Montagu, 2nd Duke of Montagu+ b. 1690, d. 5 Jul 1749
- 1.[S332] Artcyclopedia, online http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists. Hereinafter cited as Artcyclopedia.
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 'A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- Pg. 583
- HENRY WRIOTHESLEY, third Earl of Southampton. . . . m. Elizabeth, daughter of John Vernon, Esq., of Hodnet, in the county of Derby, and dying in 1624, left issue,
- The earl was s. by his son,
- THOMAS WRIOTHESLEY, fourth Earl of Southampton. . . . His lordship m. first, Rachel, daughter of Daniel de Massey, Baron de Rouvigny, in France, by whom he had two sons, who both died young, and three daughters, . . .
- He wedded, secondly, Frances, daughter of Francis Leigh, Baron Dunsmore, which nobleman was created 3rd June, 1644, EARL OF CHICHESTER, with remainder, failing his own male issue, to his son-in-law, the Earl of Southampton and the heirs male of his body by his lordship's daughter, the said Frances Leigh. He died in 1653, and the honours of Lord Southampton, were then augmented by the Earldom of Chichester. By this lady, his lordship had four daughters,
- Audrey, who d. unmarried.
- Penelope, d. young.
- ' Elizabeth, m. first Joceline, Earl of Northumberland, and secondly, to Ralph, Lord Montagu, of Boughton.
- Penelope, d. in infancy.
- The earl espoused, thirdly Frances, daughter of William, Duke of Somerset, and widow of Richard, Viscount Molineux, but had no issue. He died at Southampton House, "near Holburne, in the suburbs of London," 16th May, 1667, when all his HONOURS, including the Earldom of Chichester, became EXTINCT.
Elizabeth Percy's Timeline
Tichfield, Southamptonshire, England
January 26, 1667
Petworth House, Sussex, England
March 29, 1690
Boughton, Northamptonshire, England
September 19, 1690