Ephraim Hesmer Nye

Is your surname Nye?

Research the Nye family

Ephraim Hesmer Nye's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Ephraim Hesmer Nye

Birthdate: (57)
Birthplace: Ashford, Kent, England
Death: May 15, 1903 (57)
Columbia, South Carolina, USA (Died While Attending An LDS Elder Who Had Been Severely Beatten, and Ephraim Suffered a Heart Attack)
Place of Burial: Ogden, Weber, Utah, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of John Nye and Charlotte Emline Nye
Husband of Louise Larn Kidman; Harriet Maria Nye; Ann Nye; Amelie Emma Nye and Brita Nye
Father of Rosaltha Amelia Wooley; Hattie Elizabeth Nye; Rosaltha Amelia Nye and Hattie Elizabeth Nye
Brother of John Sylvestus Nye; Emma Wilson; Alfred Thomas Nye; James Nye; Charles Ashton Nye and 3 others

Managed by: John H. Nye
Last Updated:

About Ephraim Hesmer Nye

Ephraim Hesmer Nye wrote an autobiography and journal from 1882 to 1896, in which he talked about his family members work as hired-out farm laborers, going to Australia with his father in 1852, fighting Australian wildfires, coming in contact with Mormon missionaries there, and being baptized as a family, the splitting of his parents, emigrating to Ogden, Utah, weddings of himself and his siblings, a horse and buggy accident and his missionary service in Great Britain. There in 1882, his daily journal entries began. He returned to Ogden in 1884 and had a difficult time finding employment. He was set apart to serve in the Presidency of the 77th Quorum of the Seventy. He saw the funeral procession of missionaries killed by a mob in Georgia. He became a home missionary, and there the journal ended. A few blessings were included and correspondence was copied into the journal. An excerpt of his diary was shown on a BUY Harold B. Lee Library website as follows:

Ephraim Hesmer Nye by Jeffrey S. Hardy: Ephraim Hesmer Nye was born on 6 August 1845 in Ashford, Kent, England, to John Nye and Charlotte Osborne. When Ephraim was six his father moved the family to Australia in search of a better life. There they were converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were baptized. However, Ephraim’s parents soon separated, leaving Ephraim and six of his seven brothers and sisters in the care of his mother. After acquiring the necessary funds, they emigrated to America in a company of saints aboard the ship Milwaukee, arriving in San Francisco on 21 March 1859.

For over a year Ephraim and his brothers worked as ranch hands in Stockton, California, saving money for the trek to Utah. Although his father and brother rejoined the family in California, his parents remained estranged. In August 1860 they departed from Sacramento and arrived in East Weber, Utah in October where John and Charlotte divorced and all the children were given into Charlotte’s custody. The next year they settled in Ogden, Utah, where in 1863 Ephraim found employment in a tannery. The following year he was called on a mission to drive a team across the plains to assist a group of 400 Scandinavian saints in their westward trek to the Salt Lake Valley in the William B. Preston Company. They arrived in Salt Lake City on 15 September 1864, with Ephraim reporting: “I was barefooted and had been more than half the way home, having walked 1100 miles. I drove my team and had 12 passengers to my wagon.”

Following this trek several important events occurred in Ephraim’s life. He resumed his work at the tannery, joined the Ogden City Brass Band, and in February 1865 he was ordained an elder and received his ordinances in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Also in 1865 Ephraim purchased land in Ogden and built himself a two-room house. Subsequently, on 9 February 1867 Ephraim married Harriet Mariah Horspool, an immigrant from England. They raised two children, Rosaltha Amelia Nye (b. 16 January 1879), and Hattie Elizabeth Nye (b. 31 March 1889). In 1870 Ephraim began to work for the Central Pacific Railroad Company as a baggage handler at the Ogden depot. With the help of one of his brothers, Ephraim started a dairy farm in 1881 that soon enjoyed moderate success and helped him pay off his debts.

On 1 April 1881 Ephraim was called on a mission to Great Britain. However, the call was postponed for a year so that he could improve his financial situation. Accordingly, he departed for the British Isles on 11 April 1882 and arrived in Liverpool on April 29. He was immediately assigned to the London Conference, but received permission to first visit relatives and obtain his genealogies. After one of his first gospel conversations, during which he was put on the defensive, Ephraim “secretly resolved…[to] fight an aggressive warfare.” This demonstrates his firm testimony and his fiery resolve to save or damn the inhabitants of England. His efforts among his relatives were richly rewarded, as he had the opportunity to teach and baptize first a cousin, who was a pastor in the Society of Friends, and then 23 other family members. He also performed several miraculous healings, including a boy of eight who was deaf. In June 1883 he was called to preside over the London Conference and served in this capacity until the end of his mission. During the two years of his labor in England Elder Nye “had the unspeakable joy and satisfaction of leading into the waters and of administering the sacred ordinance of baptism to 97 believers.”

Upon returning home on 29 June 1884 Ephraim was called to preside over the 77th quorum of seventies and filled many speaking appointments in the Tabernacle and in various wards. He also began searching for work, eventually obtaining a position as a team driver hauling soil and rock. This was a trying time in Ephraim’s life, performing hard, manual labor for a minimal wage. The success that he enjoyed before his mission was never regained; fortunately, this period only lasted for two years before his next opportunity to serve the Church on a full-time basis.

On 31 October 1896 Ephraim was called to preside over the California mission, which had been reestablished four years previously. After arriving in San Francisco he was soon joined by his wife and younger daughter, Hattie. Ephraim actively engaged in preaching the gospel in addition to his work as mission president, frequently speaking for hours at public gatherings. As he reported on 2 February 1900, “I love the service of the Lord. Gladly would I serve him in preaching the Gospel to the Gentile the residue of my days. My whole soul is in the work.” He was also instrumental in establishing a permanent mission headquarters in San Francisco, expanding the territorial scope of the mission, and in making it financially stable. In May 1901 President Nye was released and returned home with his family to Ogden.

After only a few months, Ephraim was again called as mission president, this time to the Eastern States Mission. He departed from Ogden on 9 January 1902, but after only a few months, on 3 July 1902, he was transferred to serve as president of the Southern States Mission. However, on 15 May 1903, while attending to an elder who had been severely beaten, Ephraim Hesmer Nye suffered a heart attack and died in Columbia, South Carolina. His funeral was held in the Ogden Tabernacle.

  • *********************************************

The following clipping from a newspaper was found on Family Search.org which talks about Ephraim Hesmer Nye being released as President of the California Mission of the LDS Church. This was taken from the Deseret Evening News in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Saturday, May 25, 1901, on page 22:

The California Mission, A Successful Conference Held at Los Angeles. The semi-annual conference of the southern California Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held in this city, May 5th, found this part of the vast missionary field in a prosperous condition. The Los Angeles branch, once struggling for a mere existence, proved to the Saints and Elders what the conscientious and well directed labors of the servants of God will accomplish. Three meetings on Sunday were well attended, the seating capacity of the large hall in the Wollacott block, in which every Elder who has labored here has preached the Gospel truths, was taxed to its utmost.

Conference opened at 10 o'clock. On the platform behind an embankment of the choicest of flowers and ferns sat Elder E.H. Nye and his successor, Elder J.E. Robinson of Kanab, Utah, Elder H.H. Derrick, president of the conference, and his successor, Elder R.S. Sutton; H.C. Jacobson, branch president, and Elder J.T. Atkins.

Elder Nye was the first speaker; he dwelt briefly on the prosperity of the mission. Following his address Elders Ross, Ballard, and Atkins spoke upon the doctrines of faith, repentance and baptism; gift of the holy Ghost by laying on of hands, and the authority to administer in the sacred ordinances of the Gospel.

At the afternoon meeting elder Nye introduced his successor, Elder Robinson. Elder A.L. Tanner followed with an address upon "Salvation for the Dead," Elder J.W. Evans spoke upon "the General Gospel," Elder W.H. Maughan bore a strong testimony of the divinity of Joseph Smith's mission and the establishment of the great latter-day work through his instrumentality. elder H.H. Derrick bore his testimony to the truth of the Gospel and spoke of the faithfulness of the Saints and Elders in the performance of their duties.

Elder Nye was the speaker at the evening meeting, his address was on "the Latter-day Zion." At the close of Elder Nye's address conference adjourned for six months.

The Elders in attendance at this conference, who are released are E.H. Nye, Ogden; J.W. Evans, Layton; H.H. Derrick, Salt Lake City; E.R. Ballard, Cache Junction, J.T. Atkin, St. George; W.H. Haughn, Wellsville. Those who remain here are: J.E. Robinson, R.S. Sutton, A.L. Tanner, Orson Hutchinson, H.J. Richman, Harvey Ross, J.T. Tolman, Thomas Farr, F.O. McDaniels, R.W. Nelson, C.A. Secrest, Parley Nelson, and E.L. Elder.

The feature of the gathering on Monday evening was the presentation of tokens of love and respect to the departing presidents. Elder and Sister Nye, on behalf of the Elders and Saints of the Southern California conference were presented a handsome set of silverware. Elder and sister Nye each made a very appropriate response to the presentation speech. Branch President H.C. Jacobson then presented Elder Derrick with an inkstand, calendar and paperweight, as a token of love and respect from the Saints. J.W. Evans, representing the missionaries, presented to their conference president, H.H. Derrick, a sterling silver shaving mug, as a token of love and esteem.

The following day all the Elders and many of the Saints, about seventy-five in all, enjoyed a picnic at Terminal Island, where various amusements were indulged in. Wednesday evening was devoted to the pleasures of an ice cream social at the mission headquarters, about 120 being present. A.H. Thomas, Clerk.

view all 12

Ephraim Hesmer Nye's Timeline

August 6, 1845
Ashford, Kent, England
January 15, 1879
Age 33
March 31, 1889
Age 43
May 15, 1903
Age 57
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
May 24, 1903
Age 57
Ogden, Weber, Utah, USA