Faith Phillips (Clarke)
|Also Known As:||"Faith (Clarke) Doty Phillips", "Faith Doty", "Faith Doten"|
|Birthplace:||Ipswich, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Marshfield, Plymouth Colony|
|Place of Burial:||Marshfield, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States|
Daughter of Thurston Clarke, of Ipswich & Duxbury and Faith Clarke
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Faith Phillips
About Faith Phillips
- Birth: "say 1617" in Ipswich, Suffolk, England
- Death: before 21 December 1675 in Marshfield, Plymouth, MA
- Parents: Thurston Clarke, Faith
- Married: 1) Edward Doty 2) John Phillips
Faith, probably the eldest child, b. abt. 1618; bur. at Marshfield in New England 21 Dec. 1675; emigrated to New England with her father in 1634; m. (1) 6 Jan. 1634/5, as his second wife, Edward Doty of Plymouth, a passenger in the Mayflower in 1020, who d. 23 Aug. 1665, by whom she had issue; m. (2) 14 Mar. 1666/7 John Phillips, whom she survived.
She came from Ipswich, England on the "Francis" in April 1634; (A person of the Great Migration). She is listed on the manifest as "Faith Clearke". She is listed among those passengers not taking the Oath of Allegiance and Supremacy at the Custom House at Ipswich, due to being under age. Her age is indicated as 15 years in the record.
Less than a year after her arrival at Plymouth, she married Edward Doty. In his "History of Plymouth Plantation" completed in 1650, Governor Wiliam Bradford refers to her as Edward Doty's second wife. The colony records contain no indications that Edward was married earlier and no clues to the identity of his first wife.
She and her husband had nine children, the youngest born less than two years prior to his death in 1655. In 1667 she married John Phillips, a widower, and moved to Marshfield where she lived until her death at about 56 years of age.
- 6 JAN 1635 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA to Edward Doty b: about 1599 in England [caution: a spurious pedigree for his ancestry in circulation]
- 14 MAR 1667 to John Phillips b: 1602 in England
9 chldren of Faith Clarke & Edward Doty:
- John Doty b: 1639 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Thomas Doty b: ABT 1641 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Samuel Doty b: ABT 1643 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Edward Doty b: ABT 1643 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Desire Doty b: 1645 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Elizabeth Doty b: ABT 1647 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Isaac Doty b: 8 FEB 1648 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Joseph Doty b: 30 APR 1651 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
- Mary Doty b: ABT 1653 in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
The following courtesy of Pam Johnson:
A sad story about her dad, Thurston. He and Faith (age 15) came to America on the "Francis" in 1634. The ship sailed from Ipswich about the last of April with John Cutting, Master. In 1661, Thurston frozed to death on his way from Plymouth to Duxbury in 1661.
SOURCE for ship, the Master, Thurston and Faith: The Planters of the Commonwealth by Charles Edward Banks, Genealogical Pub. Co., Inc, pub 1930.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF FAITH CLARKE DOTY PHILLIPS
FAITH DAUGHTER OF FAITH AND THURSTON CLARKE
OF IPSWICK. CO. SUFFOLK, ENGLAND CAME IN SHIP "FRANCIS" AT AGE 15 WITH HER FATHER IN 1634. MARRIED EDWARD DOTY OF THE MAYFLOWER ON 6 JANUARY 1634/5. MOTHER OF NINE CHILDREN ALL BORN AT HIGH CLIFFE IN PLYMOUTH. AFTER EDWARD'S DEATH 23 AUGUST 1655, IN PLYMOUTH, SHE REMAINED IN HER HOME AT HIGH CLIFFE UNTIL 14 MARCH 1666/7 WHEN SHE MARRIED SECOND AT PLYMOUTH JOHN PHILLIPS OF MARSHFIELD AS HIS THIRD WIFE. FAITH DIED AT MARSHFIELD AND WAS BURIED 21 DECEMBER 1675 IN THIS CEMETERY.
THIS MONUMENT DEDICATED 6 MAY 1989 BY THE PILGRIM EDWARD DOTY SOCIETY
Birth date seen as Birth: Jan. 6, 1619 Ipswich Suffolk, England without attribution. Anderson et al had commented:
i FAITH, b. say 1617 (aged 15 in 1634 [Hotten 278], but this conflicts with the baptism of her sister Frances);
- page 27 of Dotey-Doten Family in America
- page 253 of The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1915 - New England. Vols. 37-52 (1883-98) include section: Genealogical gleanings in England, by H. F. Waters. "Clarke - Ipswich, Suffolk, England."
- ROBERT SMART Rootsweb project
- The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633. by Robert Charles Anderson, New England Historic Genealogical Society New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA, 1995.
- Find A Grave Memorial# 16705388
Faith Phillips's Timeline
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
In the Francis
Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
May 14, 1639
Plymouth, Plymouth Colony