view all 19
About Frances Williams
- Frances MORGAN
- Born: ABT 1596, Tredagar, Monmouthshire, Wales
- Father: William MORGAN (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth WINTER
- Married: Charles WILLIAMS
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MORGAN.htm#Frances MORGAN1
- Sir William Morgan (1560–1653) was a Welsh politician who sat in the House of Commons of England in 1624 and 1625. He supported the Royalist cause in the English Civil War.
- Morgan was the eldest son of Thomas Morgan who was MP for Monmouthshire in 1588.He was knighted on 23 July 1603. In 1612 he was Sheriff of Monmouthshire.
- In 1624, Morgan was elected Member of Parliament for Monmouthshire. He was re-elected MP for Monmouthshire in 1625.
- On the outbreak of Civil War, Morgan was Commissioner of Array for King and became Governor of Newport. He received King Charles at Tredegar on 16 and 17 July 1645. Information was laid against him before the Committee for Advance of Money on 13 Nov 1649 about his Royalist activities. He died at in 1653 (at the age of 93).
- Morgan married firstly Elizabeth Wynter daughter of Sir William Wynter of Lydney Gloucestershire. He married secondly Bridget Morgan widow of Anthony Morgan of Llanfihangael Crucorney and daughter of Anthony Morgan of Heyford Northamptonshire. They had several children:
- Thomas was later MP for Monmouthshire.
- Anthony was later a Royalist officer in the Civil War.
- John married Rebecca Smith. His daughter Frances was the first wife of Charles Williams of Llangiby.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morgan_(of_Tredegar)
- Sir Charles Williams (1591 – 1641) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1621 to 1622 and from 1640 to 1641.
- Williams was the son of Sir Rowland Williams of Llangibby. He matriculated at Jesus College, Oxford on 16 June 1610 aged 19. He became a student of Inner Temple in November 1611. In 1621, Williams was elected Member of Parliament for Monmouthshire. He was knighted on 10 April 1621. In 1627 he was High Sheriff of Monmouthshire. In November 1640, Williams was elected MP for Monmouthshire in the Long Parliament. He sat until his death in 1641.
- Williams married firstly Frances Morgan, daughter of Sir William Morgan of Tredegar. He married secondly Anne Trevor, daughter of Sir John Trevor of Plas Teg, Flint. His son Trevor became a baronet.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Williams_(of_Llangibby)
- WILLIAMS, Charles (1590-1642), of Llangibby Castle, Usk, Mon.
- b. 1 Nov. 1590,1 1st s. of Rowland Williams of Llangibby Castle and Cecil, da. of Sir Edward Mansell† of Margam, Glam. educ. Jesus, Oxf. 1610; I. Temple 1612. m. (1) settlement 30 Oct. 1614, (with £1,300), Frances, da. of Sir William Morgan* of Tredegar, Mon., s.p.;2 (2) by c.1623 (with £2,000), Anne, da. of Sir John Trevor I* of Plas Têg, Flints., 3s. 2da.3 suc. fa. 1612; kntd. 10 Apr. 1621.4 d. bet. 5/19 Mar. 1642.5 sig. Ch[arles] Willi[a]ms.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/williams-charles-1590-1642
- A history of the family of Morgan, from the year 1089 to present times ([1902?])
- VIII. LLEWELYN ap IVOR of Tredegar, Lord of St Clear, married Angharad, daughter of Sir Morgan ap Meredith, from the Welsh Lords of Caerleon, ap Griffith ap Meredith ap Rhys, who bore "Argent a lion rampant sable." Sir Morgan died 1332, when Angharad was aged 32. They had : 1. Morgan. 2. Ivor Hael, whence MORGAN OF GWERN-Y-CLEPPA. 3. Philip, whence LEWIS OF ST. PIERRE.
- IX. MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married Maud, daugter of Rhun ap Grono ap Llwarch, Lord of Cibwr. He died before 1384. Issue: 1. Llewelyn. 2. Philip, whence MORGAN OF LANGSTONE. 3. John, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David, 4. Christian, married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys. 5. Ann, married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperra. 6. Margaret, married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr. 7. A daughter, married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd. 8. Elenor, married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
- X. LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, living 1387, married Jenet daughter and heir of David-vychan ap David of Rhydodyn, 1384-87. Issue: 1. Jevan. 2. Christy, married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer. 3. —— , married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's. 4. —— , married Madoc of Bassalleg. 5. —— , married Thomas Llewelyn. 6. Ann, married John ap Jenkin. 7. —— , married —— of Raglan. 8. —— , married —— of Builth.
- XI. JEVAN MORGAN, 1415-48, married Denise, or Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ap Llewelyn-vychan of Lllangattog-on-Usk. Issue: 1. John. 2. David, 1442-48. 3. Jenkyn, 1454.
- XII. SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knight of the Sepulchre, 1448, steward of Gwentlloog ; married Jenet, daughter and co-heir of John ap David Mathew of Llandaff. Issue: 1. Morgan. 2. Thomas, whence MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR. 3. John, whence a BRANCH. 4. Lewis, 1491. 5. William Morgan, coroner, 1501, father or John of Newport, died 1541, father of William, 1541-1559. 6. Philip, 1491. 7. Elizabeth, married John Fiennes,
- Lord Clinton and Say. 8. Jane, married William David Powel. 9. Mary, married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra. 10. Isabella, married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591.
- XIII. SIR MORGAN JOHN, knighted 22 June, 1497. after Blackheath ; died in 1504; married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan of Pencoyd. Issue : 1. John. 2. Margaret.
- XIV. JOHN MORGAN ; will dated 4 April, 1513 ; died about 1513 ; married Lettice, daughter of Sir George Herbert of St. Julian's. Issue : 1. William, M. P. for county 1556-57, sheriff 1565 ; will dated 8 August, 1568 ; died 1569, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Bodenham. 2. John. 3. Joan, married Miles Mathew of Llandaff. By Felice, daughter of Thomas Richards : 4. John. 5. Nest, married John Henry Kemeys of Newport.
- XV. JOHN MORGAN of Newport, 1545. married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Stradling. Issue: 1. Miles. 2. Elenor, married William Morgan.
- XVI. MILES MORGAN, sheriff 1574 ; will dated June. 1578 ; proved 1581, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Rowland Morgan of Machen, in 1571 ; widow of Thomas Mathew. She afterwards married Henry Jones of the Inner Temple. Miles was lost in America under Sir Humphrey Gilbert. His heir was his brother-in-law, Morgan of Machen.
- MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR.
- XIII. THOMAS, second son of Sir John Morgan, was of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII.; living 1538; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml. Issue: 1. Rowland. 2. Reynold, whence MORGAN OF LLANVEDW. 3. John, whence MORGAN OF BASSALLEG. 4. Edmond, whence MORGAN OF PENLLWYN-SARTH. 5. Margaret, married 1st John Kemeys, 2d William Edmunds. 6. Barbara, married Sir Henry Seymour. 7. Maud, married John ap Rosser. 8, Jane, married 1st William Gunter, 2d Richard ap Jenkin, 3d William Vaughan of Magor. 9. Constance, married William
- Jones of Treowen. 10. Mary, married 1st Edward Williams, 2d Richard Herbert. 11. Elizabeth, married Edward James.
- XIV. ROWLAND MORGAN of Machen, 1517-77, married Blanch, daughter of John Thomas of Llanarth. Settlement 11 Nov. 1517; sheriff 1557. Issue: 1. Thomas, 2. Henry, whence MORGAN OF ST. MELLON'S. 3. Catherine, married 1st Thomas Mathew, 2d Miles Morgan, 3d Henry Jones. 4. Ann, married Philip Morgan of Gwern-y-Cieppa. 5. Mary, married Thomas Lewis of Rhiwperra. 6. Elizabeth, married Edward Kemeys of Cefn Mably.
- XV. THOMAS MORGAN of Machen and Tredegar, and of the , Middle Temple, 1567-77; sheriff 1581 ; M. P. for county 1589; will 1603; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Bodenham. Issue: 1. Sir William. 2. Edward, 1586, married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Thomas of Bertholley. 3. Sir John, died before 1610, married Florence, daughter and eventual heir of William Morgan of the Friars. They had William of the Friars, 1663, mayor of Newport, 1667, father of Lewis Morgan, died about 1690, father of Lewis, died 1729, who sold the Friars. He was father of: (a) Blanch, married Richard Greensward ; (b) Catherine, married Anthony Williams. 4. David Morgan, whence a BRANCH. 5. Blanch, married Edward Lewis of Van ; settlement 1585. 6. Catherine, married William Herbert of Coldbrook. 7. Elizabeth, married William Jones of Abergavenny. 8. Jane, married Rowland Morgan of Bassalleg. 9. Elizabeth, married William Blethyn of Dynham. 10. Ann. 11. Margaret, married Henry Williams of Mathern.
- XVI. SIR WILLIAM MORGAN of Tredegar, knighted 1633; M. P. for county 1623-25; will 1650, proved 1653; sheriff 1612; aet 93 at death ; he received Charles I. at Tredegar, 16 and 17 July, 1645 ; married 1st Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Winter of Lidney, 2d Bridget, daughter of Anthony Morgan of Heyford, county Northampton, widow of Anthony Morgan of Llanvihangel Crucorney. Issue by first wife: 1. Thomas. 2. Edward of Kilfengan ; will 4 April 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Charles James of Llandewi Rhydderch, had Elizabeth, daughter and
- heir, married Henry Chambre of Court Morgan. 3. William, whence MORGAN OF RHYMNY. 4. Rowland of Risca; will 19 Dec. 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Honora --- , and had Colonel William Morgan; buried at Bassalleg, 27 Oct. 1679. 5. John, of the Temple in 1652 ; coel. 6. Mary, married George Lewis of St. Pierre. 7. Blanch, married John Carne of Ewenny. 8. Frances, married Charles Williams of Llangibby. 9. Mary, single; will 1687, 10. Elizabeth, married William Morgan of Dderw ; she died 1638, he died 1649. By Sir William's second wife : 11. Anthony of Kilfengan, s. p. His widow was alive in 1673. 12. Mary, married Peter Farmer of London, who died 1691. They had Margaret, daughter and heir, married John More, who sold Kilfengan 1707.
- XVII. THOMAS MORGAN, sheriff 1661; died 18 Oct. 1666 [13 May 1664], aet. 76; married 1st Rachel, daughter of Robert Hopton and widow of David Kemeys, 2d Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Windham of Sandhills. Issue by 1st wife: 1. Elizabeth, married Sir Trevor Williams of LIangibby; settlement 20 Oct. 1640 ; she died 1674. By the second wife. 2. William. 3. Thomas, 1659. 4. John, died young. 5. John of London, merchant; sheriff 1697; M. P. for county 1701 ; died 1 Jan., buried at Machen 9 Jan. 1715, s. p. 6. Edward, s. p. 7. Trevor, 1680, s. p. 8. Lewis of Penylan, sheriff 1703, died 1706, s. p.; married Mary, daughter of — Edwards and heir of, her brother Thomas Edwards. 9. Frances, married 1st William Lewis of Llandewi-Rhydderch, 2d Sir Edward Morgan of Llantarnam. 10. Blanch, married Charles Van, 1650. 11. Ann, married Henry Morgan of Penllwyn-Sarth. 12. Elizabeth, married Thomas Morgan of Llanrhymny. 13. Rachel, married Henry Probert. 14. Mary, married William Thomas, of Llanbradach, 19 Nov. 1668. 15. Catherine, died 29 July 1724, aet. 73, s. p.