Frank Lusk Babbott
|Birthplace:||Waterville, Oneida County, New York, United States|
|Death:||Died in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Frank Lusk Babbott
About Frank Lusk Babbott
Frank Lusk Babbott was a multimillionaire jute merchant, art collector, patron, and philanthropist. A public park (Babbott Field) and a street (Babbott Avenue), both in Waterville, New York, were named in his honor.
Babbott was born in Waterville, New York, the son of Miller Babbott and Mary Elizabeth Crandall. He was educated at Amherst College and graduated in the class of 1878. He also studied at Columbia University, graduating with an LLB in 1880.
Babbott was Director of Chelsea Jute Mills from 1883-1901.
Babbott was a member of the Brooklyn Board of Education; president of the Brooklyn Free Kindergarten Society; president Board of Trustees, Packer Collegiate Institute, Brooklyn
He was a trustee of various organisations, including: Vassar College; YWCA of Brooklyn; Brooklyn Academy of Music; Brooklyn Public Library; Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences.
He was vice-president of the New York Board of Education, 1902-04.
The Babbott Room in the Octagon at Amherst College was named in memory of him.
Babbott's family home was 153 Lincoln Place, New York, NY. They also owned an estate at Glen Cove, Long Island, advertised for sale in 2008 at $4.2 million.
Babbott married Lydia Richardson Pratt (1857-1904), daughter of Standard Oil magnate Charles Pratt on 18 February 1886.
They had four children:
Mary Babbott, who married Dr William Sargeant Ladd
Frank Lusk Babbott Jr (1891-1970) (Amherst 1913)
Lydia Pratt Babbott, who married a Mr Stokes
Helen L Babbott
Frank Lusk Babbott's Timeline
August 14, 1854
Waterville, Oneida County, New York, United States
birth: May 28, 1891
December 7, 1933
Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, United States
Born June 3, 1895