Galeazzo Maria von Thun und Hohenstein
|Birthplace:||Trento, Province of Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Italy|
|Death:||Died in Rome, Rome, Lazio, Italy|
Son of Guidobald Graf von Thun und Hohenstein and Contessa Teresa Guidi dei Marchesi di Bagno
|Managed by:||George J. Homs|
Matching family tree profiles for Galeazzo Maria von Thun und Hohenstein, Gran Mastri ta' Ordni Militari Sovran ta' Malta (Grand Master, Order of Malta)
About Galeazzo Maria von Thun und Hohenstein, Gran Mastri ta' Ordni Militari Sovran ta' Malta (Grand Master, Order of Malta)
Galeas von Thun und Hohenstein
- Fra' Galeas von Thun und Hohenstein (24 September 1850 – 26 March 1931) was the 75th Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta from 1905 to 1931. His first name was also known as Galeazzo.
- He was born in Trento (then in Austria, now in Italy), the youngest son of Count Guidobald Maria Thun und Hohenstein and of his wife, Teresa Guidi dei Marchesi di Bagno.
- In 1905 Thun und Hohenstein was elected Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. Under his leadership the order engaged in large-scale hospitaller and charitable activities during World War I. Since he had been born an Austrian subject, Thun und Hohenstein spent much of the war in Austria. He invested a large amount of the order’s funds in Austrian war bonds, which became worthless when Austria was defeated. In 1925 he was made a knight of the Spanish branch of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
- For the last two years of his life, Thun und Hohenstein was physically incapacitated. He continued to be Grand Master, but a Lieutenant, Pio Franchi de' Cavalieri, acted on his behalf.
- Thun und Hohenstein died in Rome.