Galeazzo Maria von Thun und Hohenstein
|Birthplace:||Trento, Province of Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Italy|
|Death:||Died in Rome, Rome, Lazio, Italy|
Son of Guidobald Maria von Thun-Hohenstein and Teresa Guidi dei Marchesi di Bagno
|Managed by:||George J. Homs|
About Galeazzo Maria von Thun und Hohenstein, Gran Mastri ta' Ordni Militari Sovran ta' Malta (Grand Master, Order of Malta)
Galeas von Thun und Hohenstein
- Fra' Galeas von Thun und Hohenstein (24 September 1850 – 26 March 1931) was the 75th Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta from 1905 to 1931. His first name was also known as Galeazzo.
- He was born in Trento (then in Austria, now in Italy), the youngest son of Count Guidobald Maria Thun und Hohenstein and of his wife, Teresa Guidi dei Marchesi di Bagno.
- In 1905 Thun und Hohenstein was elected Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. Under his leadership the order engaged in large-scale hospitaller and charitable activities during World War I. Since he had been born an Austrian subject, Thun und Hohenstein spent much of the war in Austria. He invested a large amount of the order’s funds in Austrian war bonds, which became worthless when Austria was defeated. In 1925 he was made a knight of the Spanish branch of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
- For the last two years of his life, Thun und Hohenstein was physically incapacitated. He continued to be Grand Master, but a Lieutenant, Pio Franchi de' Cavalieri, acted on his behalf.
- Thun und Hohenstein died in Rome.