About Gen. Amasa Allen
ALLEN, Gen. AMASA, came to Walpole from Pomfret, Ct., soon after the evacuationof Boston by the British, in 1776. He was at Dorchester heights at the time of theevacuation, and was one of the number who worked through the night of the 4th of March, 1776, in fortifying the place. When he came to town he commenced business as a merchant, in a store that stood a little west of E. E. Seabury's, but he subsequently built the " Britton " store, and was a merchant during his active life. He had partners in business, from time to time, but was himself the master spirit. Although he came into town poor, he left, at the time of his death, which occurred July 1,1821, at the age of seventy, $75,000. He was twice married, but had no children.
His first wife died in 1811, and in 1812 he married the widow Sarah S. Gordon, whosemaiden name was Dixon, and who was the mother of Mrs. William Buffum. He represented the town in the Provincial Legislature in 1786-'7-'8-'9-'90-'1, and in 1806, after theState Constitution was adopted. He was also a State senator in 1802-3, and a leading man in the affairs of the town, for many years. He gave the church organ formerly usby the Unitarians to the old town society, and was present when the old church bell was cast, and dropped in the silver composing a portion of it. He built the house now owned by Mrs. Philip Peck, which was his home. He was a man of sanguine temperament, florid complexion, with light blue eyes, and was rather stout than otherwise. He was very popularwith his townsmen, although decided in his opinions,-public-spirited, yet grasping; jovial at times, at other times the opposite; but on the whole a good citizen. His funeralwas one of the largest ever known in town. He was a staunch Republican of the old school.