Son of George Baillie-Hamilton, styled Lord Binning and Katherine Augusta Millicent Salting
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Matching family tree profiles for George Baillie-Hamilton, 12th Earl of Haddington, KT
About George Baillie-Hamilton, 12th Earl of Haddington, KT
Hamilton, 12th Earl of Haddington, George Baillie-. 18/09/1894-17/04/1986. Ref: 3663. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: 12th Earl of Haddington, MC, TD, DL, KT(1951).
- Profession: Landowner.
- Appointments Held: Commissioned, Royal Scots Greys Regiment, ADC to Governor-General of Canada; Scottish
- Representative Peer 1922-63.
- Schools and Tutors: Eton College, Buckinghamshire.
- Training: Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL D(Glasgow).
- Marital Status: Married (1923) Sarah Cook.
- Mother: Katherine Salting d.1952.
- Father: Brigadier General, The Lord Binning.
- War Service: 1914-18. Royal Scots Greys, France, wounded. 1939-45. Lothian & Border Horse Yeomanry, France.later RAF, Wing Commander.
- References: RSE Year Book, 1987, 55-7.
- Memberships: FSA Scot.
- Date of Election: 02/03/1953.
- Proposers: James Ritchie, Sir Henry C Beresford-Peirse, Sir W Wright Smith,A D Buchanan Smith(Lord Balerno) Candidates List 1952-3.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 406
George Baillie-Hamilton, 12th Earl of Haddington MC, TD (18 September 1894 – 17 April 1986), was a Scottish Peer from 1917 to 1986.
Haddington was the son of Brigadier-General George Baillie-Hamilton, Lord Binning. Educated at Eton and Sandhurst, he was awarded the Military Cross during the First World War. He succeeded his grandfather in the earldom in 1917. In the Second World War he was a Wing Commander in the RAFVR. He was Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1952 to 1969. In 1957 he became the first president of the Georgian Group of Edinburgh, later the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland. He lived at Tyninghame House in East Lothian, where he and his wife created and replanted several formal gardens
George Baillie-Hamilton, 12th Earl of Haddington, KT's Timeline
September 18, 1894
January 13, 1934
December 21, 1941