|Birthplace:||Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA|
|Death:||Died in Kent, Delaware, USA|
Son of Benanuel Bowers and Elizabeth Dunster
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for George Bowers
About George Bowers
- History of Cambridge Massachusetts: Supplement and Index By Mary Isabella Gozzaldi
- Bowers, Anne (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 14 Oct. 1668, 194
- Barbara or Barbary (Benanuel, Geo.) b. Charlestown, 4 Jan. 1655, 494; shared father's sufferings for the faith, 347
- Bathsheba (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 4 June 1671, 494
- Benanuel (Geo.) b. Eng., m. Elizabeth Dunster, 9 Dec. 1653, rec. deed of land in Charlestown nor Somervill 1656, will dated 5 Oct. 1693, proved 1698, w. Elizabeth living 26 Dec. 1693, 493-4; land at Shawshine, 59; heretical opinions of, admonished, convicted by court, 6 Oct. 1663, fined for absence from public worship, refuses to pay, sent to prison, 345, 346, 347, 347 n.; imprisoned and fined for aiding Elizabeth Horton, 346; suffered as a Baptist, then as a Quaker, 347; fined for absence from public ordinances, 348; Petitions to County and General Courts, 348-9; text of poetry sent to Thomas Danforth, 1677, 350; punished, denounces Mr. Danforth in meeting-house, 351-2; openly whipped and fined; four Harvard graduates witness will, 352, M. W.
- Elizabeth (Dunster) called cousin by Pres. Dunster, 494; wife of Benanuel Bowers; Quaker, shared husband's faith and sufferings, 347, 352; carried husband's poetry to Mr. Danforth, 350
- Elizabeth (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 8 Dec. 1656, Quaker, shares sufferings of father, 347,494
- George, of Scituate, 1637, Plymouth 1639, m. (2) Barbara [Smyth] who d. 25 Mar. 1644; m. (2) Elizabeth Worthington, 15 Apr. 1649, lived E. side North [Massachusetts] Avenue near railroad, voted when not a sworn freeman, fined, d. 1656, conveyed land, 20 acres in Charlestown to son Benanuel, difficulty with son, complaint of, Thos. Danforth of, 493; His widow m. Henry Bowtell, 25 June 1657, 496 M. W.
- [George (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 3 Feb. 1656 [m. Priscilla —— W. Chs.] 494]
- Henry (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 2 June 1665, d. 16 Oct. 1690, 494
- Jerathmeel (Geo.) b. 2 May 1650, sold homestead, 2 Jan. 1684, res. Chelmsford, Rep. that town in General Court, wife Elizabeth, [d. Groton, 4 Mar. 1721, a. 75 yrs.], 494 M. W.
- John, Rev. (Geo.) H. C. 1649, preached at Guilford, new Haven, Branford, Derby, and Rye, Conn. d. ab. 1697, (Quart. Reb. 1836) Savage says d. 14 June 1687, 494
- John, Rev. (Rev. John, Geo.) minister at Rye, d. at Derby, Conn., 23 Sept. 1708, 494
- John, engaged to erect Market House, 1812, 230 M. Adm., 1820
- Jonathan (Benanuel, Geo.) b. 11 Aug. 1673, [m. Ann Sylvester pub. 11 Feb. 1696, W. Chs.], 494
- Matthew, (George) b. in England. d. 30 Fan. 1645, 493
- Patience (Geo.) wife of Humphrey Bradshaw bef. 1653, d. bef. 1666, 493, 498
- Silence (Geo.) named in father's will [m. Elnathan Dunckley of Dedham, 14 Dec. 1656, d. 17 Feb. 1669] 493
- Bowes, .... etc.
- Genealogy of Dunwoody and Hood families: and collateral branches : their ... By Gilbert Cope
- Pg. 146
- George Bowers was of Scituate, Mass., in 1637, of Plymouth in 1639, and soon afterwards in Cambridge. His wife Barbarie, died 25th March, 1644, and he married Elizabeth Worthington, 15th April, 1649. Their son, Jerathmeel, was born 2d May, 1650. George, the father died 1656, and his wife, Elizabeth, married Henry Bowtell, 25 June, 1657. In his will are named wife and children, Benanuel (who had already received his portion), John, Patience, wife of Humphrey Bradstreet, Silence, and Jerathmeel: the wife and Jerathmeel to inherit the homestead. Matthew Bowers, who died 30 Jan., 1644-5, was probably a son of George. Mr. Bowers resided on the easterly side of North Avenue, not far from the railroad bridge. In 1656 he conveyed to his son, Benanuel, 20 acres in Charlestown, adjoining Cambridge line. Previously, however, an unhappy difficulty occurred between the father and son; for Thomas Danforth complained to the General Court, May, 1652, against George Bowers, "for rending a deed committed to his trust, with several articles between the said George Bowers and Benanuel Bowers, his son;" for which offence a fine was imposed. At the same Court, "George Bowers, of Cambridge, being complained on for putting in a vote on the election day for the Governor, acknowledged that fact, not only this year but every year since he came into these parts, (and) pleaded ignorance. It is ordered that the said George Bowers, for his offence therein, shall pay the sum of £10." he was not a sworn freeman, and therefore not a legal voter.
- Benanuel Bowers, son of George, married 9, Dec., 1653, Elizabeth Dunster (called "cousin," by President Dunster in his will), and had a son, George, born 3 Feb., 1653-4. In 1656 he received a deed of land in Charlestown, now Somerville, adjoining Cambridge, where he had Barbary, born 4 Jan., 1655; Elizabeth, born 8 Dec., 1656; Mary, born 16 Sept., 1660; Henry, born 2 June, 1665, and died 16 Oct., 1680; Anna, born 14 Oct. 1668; Bathsheba, born 4 June, 1671., Jonathan, born 11 Aug., 1673; Mary, born 20 May, 1679, and died Dec., 1669. (This last date no doubt the death of the first Mary.) His passage through life was stormy. His will, dated 5 Oct., 1693, was proved May, 1698. His wife, Elizabeth, was living 26 Dec., 1693.
- John Bowers, son of George, graduated at Harvard College, 1649, preached at Guilford, New Haven, Branford,
- Derby and Rye, in Connecticut, and died about 1697, according to the Quarterly Register, May, 1836. Savage, in Genealogical Dictionary, says he died 14 June, 1687, and that his son, John, was minister at Rye, and died at Derby, 23 Sept., 1708.
- Jerathmeel, son of George, sold the homestead 2 Jan., 1683-4. He then resided in Chelmsford, of which he as a prominent inhabitant, and Representative in the General Court. His wife was Elizabeth.
- (Paige's Hist. Cambridge, Mass., 1877, p. 493.)
- Bathsheba Bowers.—The authoress of "An Alarm Sounded to prepare the Inhabitants of the World to meet the Lord in the way of his judgment. By Bath. Bowers (1709). Sm 4 to pp, 23."
- This very rare book .... etc.
- KITCHEN, Priscilla
- Spouse: BOWERS, George
- b. 28 FEB 1653/4 Charlestown, Suffolk, Mass.
- Father: BOWERS, Benanuel
- Mother: DUNSTER, Elizabeth
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_65a.htm#24
- New England Marriages Prior to 1700 By Clarence Almon Torrey
- BOWERS, Benanuel (-1658) & Elizabeth DUNSTER (1632, 1637-); 9 Dec. 1653, 1654; Cambridge
- BOWERS, George (-1656) & 1/wf Barbara SMITH (-1644); Braithwell, Eng, 9 Feb. 1614/15; Scituate/Plymouth/Cambridge
- BOWERS, George (-1656) & 2/wf Elizabeth WORTHINGTON, m/2 Henry BOUTWELL 1657; 15 Apr 1649; Cambridge
- BOWERS, George (1654-1689) & Priscilla KITCHEN [HUNN] (1647-), m/3 John CURTIS 1689, m/4 John GILBERT; b. 1686; Charlestown/Kent Co., RI/Groton
- BOWERS, Jerathmeel (1650-1721) & Elizabeth ___ ; b. 1674; Billerica/Chelmsford/Groton
- BOWERS, John & Mary ___ ; ca 1650, b. 1654; Medfield
- BOWERS, Rev. John (-1687) & ?1/wf Rebecca [GRIGSON]; b. 1657; New Haven/Derby, CT
- BOWERS, John & Sarah [DOWD], dau Henry; ? ; ?Guildord, CT
- BOWERS, Rev. John (-1687) & ?2/wf Bridget [THOMPSON] (1636-1720), ?m/2 William HOADLEY; ca 1660/2?, b 1667; New Haven/Guildord, CT/Derby, CT
- BOWERS, John & Judith (FESKE) (PALMER) FERRES, w William, w Jeffery; aft 31 May 1666, bef 9 Mar 1666/7; ?Greenwich, CT
- BOWERS, John (-1676) & Sarah CLARKE (1651-), m/2 Samuel SMITH 1677; 7 Jan 1673/4; Medfield
- BOWERS, John & Susanna ___ ; b. 1676, had Robert; Boston
- BOWERS, John (-1695?, 1690) & Hannah (CLOSE) KNAPP (ca 1632-1696, 1694?), w. Joshua; aft 27 Oct 1684; Stamford, CT/Greenwich, CT
- BOWERS, Jonas (-1671) & 2/wf Hannah [HILDRETH], w Thomas; aft 1657; Southampton, LI
- BOWERS, Jonah & Ruth HOWELL; 12 Apr 1686; Southampton, LI
- BOWERS, Jonathan (1673-) & Anne/Anna? SILVESTER; m int 11 FEb 1695/6; Boston/Charleston/Taunton
- BOWERS, Jonathan & Hannah BARETT/BARRETT (1686-1763); 17 May 1699; Chelmsford
- BOWER, Nathaniel (-1712) & Deborah ___ (-1712, Derby, CT); ca 1696/1700?; Rye, NY/Greenwich, CT/Derby, CT/Newark, NJ
- BOWERS, Samuel (1665-1744) & 1/wf Ruth WOOSTER (1668-); ; Derby, CT
- BOWER, Samuel & 2/wf Lydia FRENCH (1670-); 4 Nov 1691; Derby, CT
- BOWES, .... etc.
- A Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New England By John Farmer
- Pg. 37
- BOWERS, GEORGE, Cambridge 1644. George, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Bowers was b. Cambridge, 3, Feb. 1654. JOHN, Derby, Conn. was son of George Bowers of Cambridge; grad. at H. C. 1649; settles in the ministry at Derby. W. Winthrop, MS Catalogue. MATTHEW, Cambridge, d. 30 Jan. 1645.