|Birthplace:||Chatham, Medway, UK|
|Death:||Died in Queenstown, Stormberg District, Eastern Cape, South Africa|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for George Coleman
About George Coleman
- Joined the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment of Foot, aged 9, as a drummer boy.
- 1808-1811, Peninsular War, Wellington called them 'the best Regiment in this Army'.
- 1814-1815, War of 1812, America, dispatched to Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Married Maria Montgomery, sister of John Montgomery.
- 1824-1830, drafted to 4th Regiment of Foot (Lancaster) Kings Own, bandmaster.
- Dec 1826- Feb 1827 Active Service Portugal.
- 1825-1831, England, Scotland & Ireland.
- 1831-1837, Australia, convict guarding duties, Paramatta, New South Wales, Norfolk Island & Sydney.
- 1837-1840, India, Madras, Bangalore, Bellary, Belgaum & Badami.
- Discharged in 1840, his character was exemplary, his general conduct has been that of a well conducted & efficient soldier.
- Chelsea Pensioner (Received a military pension).
- John Montgomery arranged to get him out to South Africa.
- Four of his children ended up marrying John Montgomery's children.
England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
- Name: George Coleman
- Gender: Male
- Christening Date: 24 Mar 1799
- Christening Place: Chatham, Kent, England
- Father's Name: John Coleman
- Mother's Name: Mary
view all 11
George Coleman's Timeline
March 24, 1799
Chatham, Medway, UK
October 23, 1824
Baltinglass, Wicklow, Ireland
December 26, 1827
Woolwich, Kent, Engalnd
February 23, 1830
Warwick, Warwickshire, England
December 12, 1836
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
October 24, 1868
Queenstown, Stormberg District, Eastern Cape, South Africa