Is your surname Earley?

Research the Earley family

George Earley's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


George Earley

Birthdate: (69)
Birthplace: Brockenhurst, Hampshire, UK
Death: November 23, 1917 (69)
Logan, Cache, UT, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of George Earley and Jane Earley
Husband of Mary Elizabeth Earley
Brother of William Earley; Lehi Nephi Earley; Thomas Ephriam Earley; Ammon Earley; Jerimiah Burton Earley and 1 other

Managed by: Randy Stebbing
Last Updated:

About George Earley

Biographical Summary:

"...George Earley (1848-1917) was born July 19, 1848 at Brockenhurst Hamps England died November 23, 1917 Logan, Utah-buried Laketown, Utah. Son of George Earley born March 25, 1824 Brockenhurst Hamps. England died Nov.4, 1887 Round Valley, Utah. Son of Stephen Earley born Jun 5, 1794 W. Brockenhurst Hamps. England.

George Earley was born July 19, 1848 in Brockenhurst Hampshire England. A little place ten miles inland from Southhampton and about 75 miles south of London. He was the son of George Earley and Jane Burton. His parents joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1853 and George was baptized by William Budge, a local missionary Sept. 18 1858.

Brockenhurst was a farming district and he used to herd cows from the Green fields for about a shilling (25 cents) a week. At age sixteen George became restless and wanted to join the Navy. His mother didn't want him to, so he ran away. His father tried to find him but without success. While he was away his mother had a dream of him. She saw a long street in Southhampton with a large building at the end and saw George coming out of the building. She had faith in the dream so took the train to Southhampton the next morning. She found her husband at the station and they followed the instructions in the dream. When they arrived at the building George came out exactly as her dream and they were all glad to be together. George was rejected by the Navy because he wasn't old enough and didn't have his parents consent. His parents decided they must do something for him so they decided to send him to America to her brother William Burton who had joined the church and was living in Grantsville, Utah.

His parents wanted to emigrate, but because of a fire that had made it impossible at this time. They decided to send his only sister with him. He was 17 and she was 15. Her name was Elizabeth. They left England in April 1865 and spent six weeks on the ocean. They arrived in Winter Quarters in June. He was sent to Utah with Captain Jennings' freighting outfit leaving his sister to come with a company later in the season. He drove a double Ox team across the plains. George was sent with the freighting outfit to pay his way to Utah. Captain Jennings wanted him to work for him and make the trip back, but George had had enough so went on to Grantsville to his uncle. His sister arrived in Salt Lake in Nov. He went to Salt Lake to meet her. She said she was never was so glad to see anyone in her life.

When he arrived at his uncle’s he went to work on the farm. His uncle told the hired man George had come out for the Gospel’s sake so you must cut out your swearing. When they got to the field the hired man said George knew all and more swear words than him.

George went to work for a James Kearl who was a relative in law herding and driving cattle. He finally went with him to Bear Lake to help with his cattle and made his home there. His parents and family came in 1875 having arrived in Utah in 1874.

He spent some hard winters in Bear Lake Valley and Wyoming mostly herding and wrangling cattle and horses. He was considered an excellent cow hand. He was among the first settlers of Laketown, Rich County, Utah.

He married my mother, Mary Elizabeth Neslin Busby on June 4, 1877 in Laketown, Utah, and they moved to his home in Round Valley. She was living with her parents in Laketown who were pioneers having moved there in 1864. He was eleven years older than his wife. They made their home in Round Valley.

After a few years they acquired property in Laketown and built a frame house, one of the first and it still stands today.They received their endowments and he was made an Elder Oct. 2, 1879 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. He received his citizenship papers Oct. 2, 1879.

In the spring of 1892 he traded his farm and home in Laketown to Joseph Gibbons for his ranch and home in Round Valley. This trade made them better farmers and saved a lot of time and traveling. There wasn't a ward or school so it wasn't the best that way as Laketown was four miles away. Father donated the ground for the school also the church and helped to build them. In January 1893 a ward was organized also a school started in the fall. He was considered the most thorough farmer in the Valley, raised more grain and hay per acre thru good farming. He always kept about 100 head of good cattle, a few milk cows, hogs, chickens etc. and always had a good vegetable garden and fruits, such as apples, pears, raspberries, strawberries etc.

He loved good horses, so he raised a lot of them to sell, mostly matched them up and sold them in teams. He always had one price $150 each or $300 a matched team. He was always on the school board and took an active part in the church. He was the Y.M.W.I.A president in the new ward.

In May 1897 he went on a mission to California stayed a year and a half and was released in Dec. 1898. He spent some of his time in San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland and also Stockton. I remember when he came home. He brought a limb from an orange tree covered with oranges, the first we had seen like that. He continued to farm until 1907, when he moved to Garden City and went into the Mercantile business, and built a nice home there.

In 1909 he went to England to visit his home country and gather some genealogy. He was not very successful in that and wasn't very kindly received by his relatives. He bought a home in Logan where his children could go to high school and he and his wife could work in the Temple. He sent two of his boys, William and Lyman, on missions. He and his family lived in Logan in the winter and Garden City in the summer where he worked in his store.

He was the father of 13 children, 6 sons and 7 daughters, four who died in infancy. He was a good provider and we always had plenty to eat, and some to spare to take of those in need. In the spring of 1917 he became ill. The doctor was called in but was unable to do much for him. He passed away November 27, 1917 in Logan Utah. His funeral was held in Garden City and he was buried in the Laketown cemetery. He never held a high office in the church or blessed with riches but was always a good helper..."

SOURCE: "George Earley History"; John Lyman Earley born Oct. 30, 1886 Laketown Rich County Utah. Retrieved from:

view all

George Earley's Timeline

July 19, 1848
Brockenhurst, Hampshire, UK
November 23, 1917
Age 69
Logan, Cache, UT, United States