Matching family tree profiles for George Gillespie
About George Gillespie
George Gillespie is commonly listed as being born in 1731. Where he was born, and who is parents are, is unknown. GILLESPIE is a Scottish name, associated with the MACPHERSON clan. George is what is commonly referred to as Scotch-Irish, meaning that his family migrated first from Scotland to Ireland and then to America. Western Virginia was heavily populated with the Scotch-Irish.
George had two wives, both named Mary very little is known about his first wife’s family, but many researchers believe that her maiden name was Moore, as two of their children, Sherod Moore and Letitia Moore, have Moore as a middle name. All of George's 12 children were by his first wife. George married his second wife in late 1785, so George's first Mary, must have died sometime between 1779 and 1785. George and Mary’s youngest child Nancy was born in 1779 in Amherst County.
George Gillespie was born in 1731 and died in 1803 in Piney River Valley, Amherst, VA. He married (1) Mary Moore probably sometime in 1751/1752, location unknown. Mary Moore was born about 1732 in Virgina and died in somewhere in or before 1785 in Amherst, VA. George may have been 21 and Mary may have been that age as well when they were married. This is calculated based on the births of their children. William is believed to have been born in 1753. There is no documentation for either William or Sherod's birth date, it is an educated guess based on their brother and sister's birthdates and the knowing that William was the oldest and Sherod was next. George died sometime in 1803 and all 12 children are named in the settlement of his estate.
George married (2) Mary Ann Saunders on Dec. 26, 1785 in Louisa, Virginia. Mary Ann, daughter of Hezekiah Saunders and Martha Elmore, was born in 1742 in Virginia and was the widow of Charles Faris. She was the mother of 12 children.
Children of George Gillespie and first wife Mary Moore:
- William GILLESPIE was born in 1753 in Albemarle, VA and died on Oct. 22, 1794 in Paint Lick, Garrard, KY.
- Sherod Moore GILLESPIE was born in 1755 in Albermarle, VA and died Between 1822 and 1829 in Amherst, VA.
- Frances Fanni GILLESPIE was born in 1757 in Albemarle, VA and died in 1818 in Caldwell, KY.
- Letitia Moore GILLESPIE was born in 1762 in Albemarle, VA and died on Aug. 7, 1850 in Amherst, VA
- Lucy GILLESPIE was born in 1761 in Albemarle, VA and died in Aug. 1815 in Amherst, VA
- Elizabeth Betsy GILLESPIE was born in 1765 in Albemarle, VA and died on Feb. 14, 1826
- Alexander GILLESPIE was born in 1767 in Albemarle, VA.
- Sarah Sally GILLESPIE was born on Mar. 7, 1768 in Albemarle, VA and died on Aug. 8, 1840 in Princeton, Caldwell, KY
- George GILLESPIE was born in 1770 in Albemarle, VA and died in Mar. 1842 in Franklin, TN
- Dicey GILLESPIE was born in 1774 in Amherst, VA.
- Lewis GILLESPIE was born in 1775 in Amherst, VA and died in Dec. 1841 in Franklin, TN2
- Nancy GILLESPIE was born in 1779 in Amherst, VA
George Gillespie's Timeline
Province of Virginia
March 7, 1768
Virginia, United States