About Harman Tallman
- rockleigh.org... ;
- 2 i. Harman Dowsen Talman (c.1655 in Friesland, Holland, -aft.1702), son of Douwe Harmensen Talma & Dirckje Theunisse, an Indian trader, is the acknowledged first settler on Nyack Tribal lands in the Rockland area in 1675, preceding the Tappan settlers. He established his trading post in what is now Nyack. He purchased in 1684 a good portion, if not all, of the Nyack lands from Claes Jansen (Van Purmarent) Cuyper.
- Harman married on 24 Jun 1707 at Tappan RDC Grietje Minneus/ Minnelay (c.17 Jan 1663 in New Amersfoort - 1715), daughter of Minne Johanes & Reneje Feddans of New Amersfoot (Canarsie). In 1681, Johannes Minne mortgaged lands on the DeHart patent in Haverstraw and became the first settler there with his wife and children (Johannes, Albertt, and Gsietje). Johannes and Albertt are listed in the 1702 Provincial census of Orange County.
- Harman & Grietje's daughter Dirckje was the first non-native child born in Rockland County, NY. The 1702 Provincial census of Orange County lists Harme Dowsen (Tallman) and his brother, Theunis Dowsen (Tallman). Children of Harman Dowensen Talman & Gsietje Misseus include:
- i. Dirckje Taelman (1687-1768)
- ii. Douwe Harmanse Tallman (1689-1779)
- Harme Taelman died in 1689 after his son Douwe Harmanson was born. Dirckje m2 on 8 Apr 1691 Abraham Gerritsen Blauvelt with whom she raised four more children.