Matching family tree profiles for Henry Bristol, of New Haven
About Henry Bristol, of New Haven
Henry Bristol, immigrant ancestor, was born in England
Bristol Genealogy, Warren Edwin Bristol, compiler, 1967, pp 1-3 immigrated ca. 1640, some say as a stowaway indentured to William Davis, a cooper
Freeman Mar 1646/47 member of Rev. John Davenport's congregation appointed Fence Viewer 1663 home lot in New Haven was at present corner of Elm and Temple Streets bought 114 acres on western side of town 7 Jan 1667 from John Morris also had land at Malebon's Cove near Oyster River.
Said to have been a brother of Richard Bristol of Guilford, who died without children.
He and his brother Richard were early settlers in Connecticut. Richard was at Guilford when the first division of land was made and received a five-acre parcel of upland and rocks next Alexander Chalker's: was a freeman; member of the Guilford church; a cooper by trade; seventh on the list of proprietors in 1672: held a number of minor offices and has a claim to fame as the originator of the Bristol apple, which was named for him.
Richard married twice but left no children, so that all the colonial Bristols of New York and New England trace their lines to the brother.
Henry Bristol came to New Haven, Connecticut, as an apprentice to William Davis. When he came of age he settled there. He was born about 1625.
- (first) Rebecca ———, and
- (second) January 26, 1656, Lydia, daughter of Francis and Mary (Edwards) Browne. She was probably born about 1637-38, died in 1719;
he died 1695, and the following heirs acknowledged the receipt of their portions of the estate:
- Jobamah Gunn and wife Mary of Milford;
- Samuel and
- Bezaleel. heirs of Samuel Bristol, of Guilford, deceased;
- Elizabeth Bristol, of Milford;
- Abigail Bristol, of New Haven;
- Zaccheus Candee:
- Stephen Hine and wife Sarah of Milford;
- Thomas Hine, of Milford (New Haven county court records, Vol. II, pages 302-5).
Children of first wife:
- Rebecca, born February 4, 1649-50:
- Samuel, December 3, 1651 ;
- Mercy, November 7, 1653.
Children of second wife:
- Lydia, January 3, 1657-58;
- John, September 4, 1659:
- Mary, September 1, 1661;
- Hannah, December 10, 1663;
- Abigail, April 19. 1666;
- Sarah, February 1, 1667-68;
- Daniel, May 4, 1671;
- Elizabeth, May 20, 1674:
- Esther, October 3, 1676;
- Eliphalet, October 2, 1679.
Henry and Lydia were both members of First Church of Christ in New Haven. They were parents of eleven children.
Henry Bristol, of New Haven's Timeline
February 4, 1649
New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut
December 3, 1651
New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
November 17, 1653
New Haven, CT
January 3, 1657
New Haven, New Haven , Connecticut
September 4, 1659
New Haven Colony
September 1, 1661
New Haven, New Haven Co., CT
December 10, 1663
New Haven, New Haven Colony
April 19, 1666
New Haven, Connecticut, United States