|Death:||Died in Salem, Essex Co., Massachusetts|
Son of Rev. Emmanuel Downing and Lucy Downing (Winthrop)
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for Henry Downing
About Henry Downing
- ' Genealogy of the Downing family and immediate collateral relations: (1901)
- Ill GENERATION:
- Calybut Downyng of Sherrington, County Gloucester, born June 1, 1574: married (first), January 8, 1594, Elizabeth Wingfield (Morrison) — she having been previously married to Edward Morrison — daughter of Robert Wingfield of Upton, County Northampton, by Elizabeth Cecil, daughter of Richard Cecil and sister of William Cecil, Lord Burleigh, who, for forty years, was principal Secretary of State, and confidential friend and adviser of Queen Elizabeth, which position he held until the day of his death, August 4, 1598.
- He married (second), August 8, 1604, Anne Hogan, daughter of Edmund Hogan of Hackney.
- He died February 3, 1642.
- The marriages of Geoffrey Downyng (I) and Calybut Downyng (III) brought about the direct descent from the Plantagenets (King Henry III) as shown by the genealogical chart (page 5) and the following pedigree : ....
- IV GENERATION:
- Emanuel Downyng of Sherrington, County Gloucester; Dublin, Ireland; Salem, Mass.; and London, England; born December 10, 1594; married (first), June 7, 1614, Miss Ware of Dublin, Ireland, daughter of Sir James Ware. They had several children, but no records can be found. He married (second). April 10, 1622, Lucy Winthrop, daughter of Adam Winthrop, of Groton, County Suffolk, and sister of Governor John Winthrop of Massachusetts. Upon the invitation of Governor John Winthrop (his brother-in-law), he and his family came to New England in 1638. His children attended the public school at Salem, Mass., afterwards (George, Nicholas and Henry) at Harvard College, of which George Downing (1642) was the second graduate. In 1646, they returned to England. It is doubtful, however, whether the children by his first wife (Miss Ware) returned with him.
- He died July 26, 1676.
- Issue :
- 1. George Downing, born 1623 ; married 1654 ; died 1684.
- 2. Nicholas Downing, born 1627; died 1698; unmarried. He bequeathed his entire estate, in Drummond, County Derry, Ireland, to his nephews (the children of his brother, Henry), Adam, John, George and Daniel.
- ' 3. Henry Downing, born 1630; married 1665 ; died 1698 (see page 37).
- GEORGE DOWNING of East Hatley, County Cambridge, born 1623, was fortunate to gain as his wife, in 1654, a lady greatly distinguished for her birth and beauty: FRANCES HOWARD, fourth daughter of Sir William Howard, Knt., of Naworth Castle, County Cumberland, and sister of Colonel Charles Howard, first Earl of Carlisle, and a descendant of that unfortunate Thomas Howard, fourth Duke of Norfolk, who was arraigned and convicted upon charges of high treason and rebellion, and beheaded, by order of Queen Elizabeth, on June 2, 1572, for
- tenderness shown to, and arrangements made to marry, Mary, Queen of Scots.
- Sir George Downing's progress to power was undoubtedly greatly advanced by his matrimonial union with "the blood of all the Howards."
- He was Knighted in May, 1660, and created a Baronet July I, 1663.
- He died July 2, 1684. ....
- V GENERATION :
- ' Henry Downing of East Hatley, County Cambridge, born March 10, 1630 (third son of Emanuel Downyng: see page 15); married, June 2, 1665, Jane Clotworthy, of a very ancient Devonshire family. He held a commission in the guards of King Charles II, and was living in London, in 1666.
- ' He died September 25, 1698.
- Issue :
- 1. Adam Downing, born 1666; married 1696 ; died 1719.
- 2. John Downing, born 1667 ; died 1736.
- 3. George Downing, born 1668; married 1690 ; died 1729.
- 4. Elizabeth Downing, born 1669; married 1692 ; died 1740.
- 5. Daniel Downing, born 1670; married 1696; died 1733.
- 6. Anne Downing, born 1672 ; died 1674.
- 7. Margaret Downing, born 1675 ; married 1696 ; died 1723.
- 8. Anne Downing, born 1678 ; married 1702 ; died 1757.
- A history of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and its people; (1914)
- Tracing English family history back through the centuries, DOWNING the antiquarian finds a clear line of Downing descent from Geoffrey Downing, born March 7, 1524. He was a dignitary of county Essex, styled gentleman" and bore arms : "Gules a fesse naire, between two lions passant, quadrant ermine." Crest : "Out of a ducal coronet a swan or." The quartering and color show royal descent, which came through the marriages with Plantagenets, of both Geoffrey Downing and his grandson Calybut. Geoffrey married October 8, 1548, Elizabeth Winfield and died September 17, 1595, leaving male issue.
- Arthur Downing, son of Geoffrey Downing, was born at the family seat in county Essex, England, Pynest, Poles, Belchano, born August 1, 1550, died at Lexham, county Norfolk, England, September 19, 1606. He married June 10, 1573, Susan Calybut and had issue: Calybut, see forward; John, born 1581, died 1617: Dorothy, born 1584, died 1651 : Anna, born 1586, died 1658; Susan, born 1589, died 1642.
- Calybut Downing, eldest son of Arthur Downing, was born June 1, 1574, and had his estates in Sherrington, Gloucestershire, England, where he died in 1642. He married (first) January 8. 1594, Elizabeth (Winfield) Morrison, widow of Edward Morrison. He married (second) August 5, 1604, Anna Hogan ; children: Emanuel, see forward: Calybut (2), born 1596, died 1644; Elizabeth, born 1598, died 1660; Susan, 1601, died 1651.
- Emanuel Downing, son of Calybut Downing, was born at Sherrington, Gloucestershire, England, December 10, 1594, died in London. England, July 26, 1676. He resided in Sherrington, Dublin, Ireland, Salem, Massachusetts (coming to America in 1638), and London, England. He married (first) June 7, 1614, a Miss Ware of Dublin, ( second) April 10, 1622, Lucy Winthrop ; children by second marriage : George, born 1625. died 1654 ; Nicholas, born 1627, died 1698; 'Henry, see forward'.
- ' Henry Downing, son of Emanuel Downing, was born March 10, 1630, died September 25, 1698. He held an officer's commission in the Kings Own Guards and had his family seat at East Hatley, Cambridgeshire, England. He married, June 2, 1665, Jane Clotworthy, and had issue : Adam, see forward ; John, born 1667, died 1736; George, born 1668, died 1729: Elizabeth, born 1669, died 1740: Daniel, born 1670, died 1733; Anne, born 1672, died 1674; Margaret, born 1675, died 1723; Anne, born 1678, died 1757.
- 'A genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Ireland (1912)
- CHARLES DAWSON, H.M. Inspector of Customs for Ireland, m. Sarah, dau. of John Downing, of Bellaghy and Rowesgift, co. Londonderry (b. 1700), eldest son of Col. Adam Downing (served with distinction at the siege of Derry and the Battle of the Boyne, b. 1666, d. 1719), and grandson of 'Henry Downing (b. 1630, younger brother of Sir George Downing, Bart., the eminent statesman', temp. CHARLES II ; see FULLERTON of Ballintoy and BEAUMONT-NESBITT of Tubberdaly), and by her had issue, two sons and three daus. The elder surviving son,