About Henry Gibbons
Information from Suze Foster - 20 Jan 2016 - unconfirmed link to Sculptor Grinling Gibbons)
" the information I have ... unfortunately none of it has specific sources, and I'm afraid that the links you request have perhaps just been speculation (logical speculation though perhaps!)
My father (Philip Gibbons) passed on a stack of papers to me titled 'The Descendants of Grinling Gibbons' there are no sources for any of it though unfortunately.
The information came via another line of the family tree:
Gibbons, Henry Rose, 1761 - 1825, who married Susannah Jemima Norriss, had a daughter Emily Elizabeth (1845-1902) who married Thomas Horne, had 7 children: daughter Hannah Horne (1847 - 1898) married Thomas Finney. "Horace (whom you know of) supplied most of this information". I don't actually know who Horace is.. I haven't put him into my big picture (yet)!
Several years ago I did a lot of piecing together through ancestry.com, but from memory I couldn't find any sourced evidence of links between Grinling Gibbons (1648-1721) and Henry Grinling Gibbons (1676 - 1743) ... here is a quick overview of the information I've been given.
- 1. Grinling Gibbons (1648 - 1721). Born Rotterdam, father is thought to be Samuel Gibbons. A Quaker known as the 'Kings Carver'.
- 2. Gibbons, Henry (Grinling) (1676 - 1743)
- 3. Gibbons, Henry (1726 - 1796). Born West of the river Medway, man of Kent. School master, compiled an Algebra Book printed in 1758. Married Mirriam Rose.
- 4. Gibbons, Henry Rose (1761 - 1825) of Seven Oaks, Kent. Builder and boat builder.
- 5. Gibbons, Henry Rose Junior (1786 - 1856). Born in Seven Oaks (Known as the Gibbons Stronghold) in Kent. A Junior Builder. Married Susannah Jemima Norriss. Commander of Queen Victoria's yacht in the Crimea War. Sailed to Tasmania with his wife 9/11/1832. Had a son Henry Rose, and two daughters.
- 6. Gibbons, Henry Rose (Harry) (1843 - 1912). Builder. Married Margaret Finney. They had seven sons (Tasman, >Frank, Richard, Harry, Gustave, Frederick, Thomas), and four daughters (Ethel, Miriam, Olinda, Clara).
- 7. Gibbons, Frank (1874 - 1929). Builder. Sailed to NZ in 1902. Worked as a foreman carpenter for the Nelson City Council. Keen interest in birds of all kinds and later owned a poultry farm. Married Emma Besley (1881 - 1931) 1902. They had five sons (Kenneth, Frank, Clifford, Ronald, Henry Rose).
- 8. Gibbons, Kenneth (1905 - 1980). Teacher. Married Diana Grace. Had 3 sons and 3 daughters.
- 9. Gibbons, Philip (1948 - ) (My father)