Henry Jones, Sr

Is your surname Jones?

Research the Jones family

Henry Jones, Sr's Geni Profile

Records for Henry Jones

29,528,395 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


About Henry Jones, Sr

b5 Emily * Sept. 1819 x 19.9.1837 Henry JONES * c.1815

c1 Henry JONES * Uitenhage c.1841 died Jansenville 27.1.1876

c2 William JONES * c.1851

Source: Pamela Barnes, Through the chequered path: the story of William Howard's party of 1820 settlers


Granted Castle Hill erf - 8 Sep. 1840 sale of neat and convenient cottage, opposite dwelling of Mr. McCleland. Arrived 1836, spent 4 years as schoolmaster of Robson's native school. 1840 appointed master of native school, Uitenhage - there till his death. Librarian and Sexton of DRC. 1851 teacher of the Coloured Classes, Uitenhage. "Civil in manner, upright in dealings, promoter of every good cause". He left a family of 22.

Source: Margaret Harradine


"... the year 1842 had begun with a visit to Uitenhage where their daughter Emily and her husband Henry Jones were now living and teaching, their first child Henry having put in an appearance the previous year." NOTE from Craig Sheldon: Henry, born in 1841, was not the Jones' first child; they had two younger children, Henry Howard Jones, born in 1839, and Emily Smith Jones, born in 1840.

Source: Pamela Barnes, Through the chequered path: the story of William Howard's party of 1820 settlers


"1825 Thomas Sterley was appointed acting gaoler and policeman. His appointment as constable became Feb. official on 1 April 1828. He was not the owner of the so-called "Sterley Cottages" on Castle Hill. The lower cottage belonged to his brother, William, a bootmaker, the land being granted in 1838. The upper cottage was built by teacher Henry Jones, who sold it in 1840 when he moved to Uitenhage."

Source: Margaret Harradine, Port Elizabeth: A Social Chronicle to the End of 1945


"Across the road from No 7 Castle Hill, stand the 'Sterley' cottages. [...] No. 12 was built on land granted to Henry Jones in 1839 and transferred to Caesar Andrews in 1841. These two cottages have also been proclaimed national monuments."

Source: History of Nelson Mandela Bay and the Surrounding Region, Jikeleza


"The Governor informed the Kerkeraad that the house lately occupied by the minister might be given over to the Church, on the understanding that it be kept in repair, and that the Slave School (situated where Messrs. Heeley's store now stands) should be maintained. From the minutes it would appear that the precentor also fulfilled the duties of school master, and that he annually received £50 from the Government and £50 from the Church. The late Mr. Henry Jones was the last precentor who worked under these conditions."

Source: W.S.J. Sellick, 1904, Uitenhage, past and present : souvenir of the Centenary, 1804-1904


NOTE from Craig Sheldon: Henry Jones might have been mentioned as a Clerk for the Dutch Reformed Church in Utenhay in the book The Cape of Good Hope and the Eastern Province of Algoa Bay, written by John Centlivres Chase, published 1843.

Source: page 301, John Centlivres Chase, (1843), The Cape of Good Hope and the Eastern Province of Algoa Bay, Archive.org


NOTE from Craig Sheldon: Henry Jones was possibly briefly mentioned in a 7 May 1850 memorial notice in the Port Elizabeth Mercury for a young girl, Catharina Magdalena, who might have been one of his students:

"OVERLEDEN, te Uitenhage, op Dingsdag avond, den 30 April, te half acht uur, onze geliefde en eenigste dochtertje Catharina Magdalena, in den ouderdom van 6 jaren, 4 maanden, en 19 dagen.

"Wy versoeken van dit ons verlies kennis te geven aan Naastbestaande en Vrienden, en ter gelyker tyd onze oprechte dank te betuigen aan de Heeren J. GIBSON, Gouvernements Schoolmeester; J.G. DE KORTE, Assisteerende ditto, en Henry JONES, en aan de Scholieren van het Gouvernement school voor de laatste eer door hun aan ons overledene dochterje bewezen.

"Johan Nicolas Wilhelm BARKHAUSEN, Catharina Magdalena BARKHAUSEN."

Source: Transcribed by Sunelia Heath, "Port Elizabeth Mercury 1850 2 April - June", eGGSA.org


The school at Xaba was reopened in 1852 and he continued to teach there until 1867. Its closure this time was occasioned by another school, belonging to the Dutch Reformed Church, under a white man, Henry Jones. Founded in 1841, this school taught Hottentot, Coloured, Muslim and slave children. But when the deceased earned a reputation, the Hottentot children went to him in large numbers, so Jones's supporters complained and wrote to Cape Town. It was decided that Mr. Kunene should move and pour his class into that of Mr. Jones, and become Jones's assistant. And so this was done.

Source: Isaac Williams Wauchope, Selected Writings, 1874-1916, edited by Jeff Opland


Isaac Williams Wauchope was born in 1852 at Door Hoek, near Uitenhage, his father being an elder of the Union Chapel, Uitenhage. He was at school there in 1859 under Malgas Kunene and Mr. Jones.

Source: James Stewart, Lovedale: Past and Present


Date of birth: 17 December 1816

Source: Henry Jones Jnr FAMILY BIBLE (1872) - Photographed by Jan A Jones


Grave record - Uitenhage DRC - http://africangenealogy.blogspot.com/2013/11/begraafplaas-uitenhage-nederduits.html

view all 27

Henry Jones, Sr's Timeline

December 17, 1816
Saint Helena
January 19, 1817
Saint Helena
January 6, 1839
Age 22
Port Elizabeth, EC, South Africa
March 30, 1840
Age 23
Port Elizabeth, EC, South Africa
June 30, 1841
Age 24
Uitenhage, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
October 10, 1843
Age 26
Uitenhage, EC, South Africa

Esther Doubell nee Jones gravestone - http://www.egssa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=525710

March 31, 1844
Age 27
Uitenhage, EC, South Africa
September 16, 1845
Age 28
Uitenhage, EC, South Africa
December 7, 1846
Age 29
Uitenhage, EC, South Africa