Matching family tree profiles for Henry Palmer, of Wethersfield
About Henry Palmer, of Wethersfield
Not found in Yarmouth Records (including no 1661 death.]
Henry Palmer was born in England in about 1618 (estimated from the assumption that he was 25 years old in 1643 when his first child was born).
According to "The History of Ancient Wethersfield", Henry R. Stiles, (1975 reproduction of his 1904 edition), volume 2, Henry lived in Wethersfield in 1645 and was probably a carpenter as he contracted to clapboard the meeting house in 1651, a Freeman in 1657, a surveyor in 1662 and living in 1663. Other sources indicate he removed to Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island for the safety of his family in 1667. If true, then 1681 is a more probably death date than 1651 - location remains undetermined.
He was married to Catherine by 1642, likely in Wethersfield, Connecticut. Her maiden name is not known. In the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, the entries for the births of the four children registered at Wethersfield show their mother's first name as Ruth (Wethersfield, page 205), but the index entry on AmericanAncestors.org states that in the original manuscript the name Ruth was crossed out and "Katharine" was handwritten at the end of the entry.
Children of Henry and Katherine Palmer are identified from Wethersfield deeds and from John Winthrop's journal of medical treatments administered at Hartford, Connecticut. Their known children are:
- Deborah, born at Wethersfield on 5 February 1642
- Hanah, born at Wethersfield, 14 August 1645.
- Ephraim, born at Wethersfield on about 25 April 1648.
- Dorcas, born at Wethersfield 7 April 1650. She may have died before 3 July 1757, when an entry in John Winthrop's medical records shows prescriptions for four children of Henry Palmer who are identified by age, but do not include a child whose age matches Dorcas. 
- Henry, born about 1653 (age 3-1/2 on 3 July 1657 and age 5 on 17 December 1658).
- Jonathan, born in Wethersfield about 1657 (age 1 on 22 April 1658 and 2-1/2 on 24 November 1659).
- Joseph, born in Wethersfield about 1662 (2 years old on 8 January 1663/4 when John Winthrop supplied the family with a treatment for his "wormes").
- Benjamin, birthdate not known, may have been born in Wethersfield or in Newport, Rhode Island; was married by 1695.
- ↑ Harris, page 182.
- ↑ Torrey's New England Marriages Prior to 1700, vol. 3, page 1130. Torrey suggests both Watertown, Massachusetts and Wethersfield, Connecticut, as possible marriage locations. There is no record of their marriage in Watertown.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 "Wethersfield Vital Records, 1635-1665, in Land Records Vol. 1," The American Genealogist 9 (1932-33):28
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, (Wethersfield, page 205.
- ↑ Harris, pages 184-185.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Harris, page 185.
- ↑ Harris, pages 177 and 185
- The American Genealogist. (TAG) New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009 - .)
- Harris, Gale Ion. "Henry and Katherine Palmer of Wethersfield, Connecticut, and Newport, Rhode Island." The Genealogist, Fall 2003, Volume 17, No. 2, pp. 175-185.
conflicting data. Is he the son of Thomas Palmer, or son of William the Immigrant and his first wife Margaret? White, or son of William Palmer and Susan Heath.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~barbpretz/PS03/PS03_248.HTM - supporting Susan Heath (dead link)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bart/PALMER.htm - supporting Margaret White
Not the son of William Palmer, of Duxbury
From Anderson's Great Migration Project:
Family: William married (1) Frances _____ by about 1606 in England, and had four children. He married (2) Mary _____ by 1637 and had one son. She married (2) Robert Paddock by October 20, 1646, and (3) Thomas Roberts on March 24, 1650/1, in Plymouth.
Children of William and Frances Palmer (order uncertain):
Henry was born about 1606. He was mentioned in his father’s 1637 will, but there is no further information. [seems he did not emigrate to America]
Henry Palmer, of Wethersfield's Timeline
February 5, 1642
Hartford, Connecticut Colony
Wethersfield, Connecticut Colony
April 7, 1650
Wethersfield, Hartford, Ct
Newport, Newport , Rhode Island
Angmering, Sussex, England
Angmering, Sussex, England