Heremia Te Wake

Is your surname Te Wake?

Research the Te Wake family

Heremia Te Wake's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Heremia Te Wake

Also Known As: "Hone (John)", "Heremia (Jeremiah)"
Birthdate: (83)
Birthplace: Te Karaka, Hokianga, North Island, New Zealand
Death: November 29, 1918 (79-87)
Whakarapa, North Island, New Zealand (1918 Influenza Pandemic)
Place of Burial: Panguru, Northland, North Island, New Zealand
Immediate Family:

Son of William "Piri Hoa" Hoard and Te Oki Hoard
Husband of Maraea Te Wake and Kare Pauro Te Wake
Father of Hotene Te Wake; Benjamin Te Hau Te Wake; Pita Te Wake; Heeni Jane Maxwell; Pakete Te Wake and 4 others
Brother of Huihana Wharetohunga; Pire Piri Hoa; Himi Hauata Howard; Ira Pōmare; Pene Hoard and 4 others

Occupation: Te Rarawa leader, farmer, assessor, catechist
Managed by: Jason Scott Wills
Last Updated:

About Heremia Te Wake

Heremia Te Wake belonged to Ngati Manawa, a hapu of Te Kaitutae and Te Rarawa. He was born at Te Karaka in the Hokianga district, probably in the 1830s, the son of William Hoard (known to his Maori family as Pire Hoa), a deserter from an American whaling ship, and Te Oki, a high-ranking woman of Te Rarawa. The name Te Wake came from an early incident in his life. He used to support a man crippled by arthritis, and, to encourage him to walk, would say 'wakewake' (hurry). The name Heremia (Jeremiah) came from his baptism as a Catholic, probably in the 1860s. An earlier name, Hone (John), indicates an earlier baptism, probably as a Wesleyan. In his youth he worked as a timber worker and flax cutter. He used profits from trade to establish farms for his four brothers and three sisters and their families.

In the two years before 1869 10 people were shot in land feuds and revenge killings in Hokianga. They were mostly Ngati Manawa killed by Nga Puhi. In one incident in March 1868, Te Wake led a party of Te Rarawa across Hokianga Harbour to Whirinaki where a block of land was in dispute. Nuku, a man of Ngati Kuri (who were living with Nga Puhi), was shot dead. Te Wake accepted responsibility as leader of his party, although the shot was probably fired by Te Kawau, his younger brother. Te Wake gave himself up to the authorities, expecting a reprimand, but escaped when it became apparent he was going to be tried and probably convicted. War was now imminent between Te Rarawa and Nga Puhi. Two pa were fortified at Te Karaka and shots were fired across the strait between Te Karaka and Onoke.

In June the civil commissioner, James Mackay, and chiefs from other areas came to Hokianga to mediate. Te Wake was persuaded to surrender on a promise of a fair trial. On 14 June he surrendered at Te Karaka and on 20 June was sent to Mount Eden gaol in Auckland. Once subjected to prison life he decided to escape and scaled the prison wall. After some difficulty he reached friendly territory at Kaipara Harbour and returned home. He was later pardoned after representations were made to the native minister by chiefs who believed him to be innocent, and by the MHR for Northern Maori, Frederick Nene Russell.

In the years following his return Te Wake became a leader of Te Kaitutae and Ngati Manawa at Te Karaka, Whakarapa (Panguru), Waihou (Lower Waihou), Motuti and Motukauri – communities on the north side of Hokianga Harbour. He encouraged the adoption of European farming methods and improvements in housing and sanitation. He became chairman of a local school committee and mail contractor, by boat, for northern Hokianga. He was a farmer and held shares in the ownership of many land blocks in Hokianga. He sold land in 1875 and 1876 but later was against land selling. He had used the proceeds to buy livestock, and established a flour mill at Whakarapa. In 1886 he was appointed an assessor under the Resident Magistrates Act 1867. He was highly valued for his knowledge of Te Rarawa genealogy and traditions and for his commitment to the truth. He was nominated as a parliamentary candidate in the 1880s, and was a returning officer in the 1884 elections. In 1898 he was one of a number of leading Maori who helped persuade Te Mahurehure of Waima to end their revolt against the dog tax without bloodshed.

Heremia Te Wake was deeply committed to the Catholic church. He was a catechist who instructed the young. In the absence of Catholic clergy from 1873 to 1880 in Hokianga he visited settlements and led communities in prayer: Father James McDonald found Catholicism flourishing in Hokianga on his arrival in 1880. Te Wake's leadership carried over into traditional religion too. Early in the 1900s he retrieved the bones of ancestors from their caves on Panguru mountain. Other burial caves in Hokianga had been discovered by Pakeha, who had removed precious objects to the Auckland Museum. Heremia was chosen as having the mana and tapu to move and rebury the remains safely.

Te Wake's first wife was Maraea (Maraia) Topia, whom he married probably early in the 1860s. They had seven children. He later married Kare Pauro Kawatihi. Their first child was Hohepine (Whina), born in 1895; a second daughter, Heretute, was born in 1897. In 1914 Whina took a leading role in opposing the attempt of a Pakeha farmer to drain the mudflats at Whakarapa. Heremia did not want to break the law, but there was a danger that the land would be lost while he sought a legal remedy. Whina led the community in a passive resistance campaign, filling in the drainage ditches as they were dug. Although some of the participants were fined for trespass, through Heremia's representations to the local Maori MP, Te Rangi Hiroa (Peter Buck), the farmer's lease was cancelled and the mudflats remained.

Heremia's last years were marred by tension with his sons and nephews over the succession to his leadership. The community at Whakarapa was split and a second marae established. Kare Pauro died in June 1917. Heremia Te Wake died at Whakarapa on 29 November the following year in the influenza epidemic. His daughter Whina became the prominent Maori leader Whina Cooper, who launched the Maori Women's Welfare League in 1951 and organised the Maori land march of 1975.

Source: Heremia Te Wake biographyby Steven Oliver, first published in the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography Volume 2, 1993

view all 14

Heremia Te Wake's Timeline

Te Karaka, Hokianga, North Island, New Zealand
Age 19
Age 21
Age 24
Age 27
Age 27
New Zealand
Age 46
Hokianga, North Island, Aotearoa
December 9, 1895
Age 60
Te Karaka, Hokianga, New Zealand
Age 62
New Zealand
November 29, 1918
Age 83
Whakarapa, North Island, New Zealand