Is your surname Reed?

Research the Reed family

Hester Reed's Geni Profile

Records for Hester Reed

6,312,589 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Hester Reed (James)

Birthdate: (48)
Birthplace: Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
Death: 1690 (48)
Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Erasmus James, Sr Boat Builder and Jane James
Wife of Richard Reed
Mother of Samuel Reed

Managed by: Roland Henry Baker, III
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Hester Reed

Biography

Daughter of Erasmus (not Erasmas) James Sr Boat Builder 1623 – 1660 and Jane Felt (or Felton?) 1623 – 1669

Birth

   1642 abt 
   Marblehead, Essex, Massachusetts, USA

Marriage to Richard Reed mariner

   1661 — Age: 19
   Essex County, Massachusetts, USA

Children:

Samuel Reed 1661 – 1718 m Abigail Rowland 1664 – 1685 and Mary Bridges 1667 – 1740

Prudence Reed 1667 –

Inherited the lot of Erasmus and Jane James of Marblehead,

   1669 30 Jun — Age: 27
   Marblehead, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
   Widow Jane Jane (Felt) James left The title to the lot to her dau Esther Reed to descend to Hester's son, Samuel Reed of Marblehead, mariner, who owned the lot in 1700.

Death

   1690 — Age: 48
   Marblehead, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
   Still living when June 16, 1665, she gave Mr. Reed a deed of the house and land.*

Sources

<references /> Photos of sources here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/59016579/person/48398826253

MARBLEHEAD IN THE YEAR 1700by Sidney Perley A collection of Nine Articles fromHistorical Collections of the Essex Institute

Erasmus James House. This lot was a part of the land owned by Erasmus James very early; and by him sold to his son-in-law Richard Reed. Mr. James died, about 1660, before a deed of it was executed. Jane James, widow of Erasmus James, was appointed administratrix of his estate June 26, 1660; and June 16, 1665, she gave Mr. Reed a deed of the house and land.* Mr. Reed conveyed the house and this part of the lot to his brother-in-law, Erasmus James of Marblehead, ship-carpenter, 14:12:1667.† The purchaser was living in the house at-that time, and continued to do so. Administration upon his estate was granted Sept. 4, 1717. He had built a "mansion house" at the eastern end of the lot. The old-house and a strip of land two rods wide on which it stood was then appraised at one hundred and twenty pounds. Benjamin James of Marblehead, cordwainer, son of the deceased, had brought suit against his father's estate, and; recovered judgment, which was satisfied by his mother, Joanna James, administratrix, conveying to him this house and land around it May 13, 1721.‡ Benjamin James, for one hundred and forty pounds, conveyed the house and land to James Houlton of Salem new precinct, husbandman, May 12, 1721.§ The house was then occupied by Christopher Slade. Mr. Houlton died in 1722; and his son, James Houlton of Salem, husbandman, for ninety-rive pounds, conveyed one-half of the messuage to Jacob Fowle of Marblehead, joiner, March 9, 1729. Ebenezer Procter of Salem, cordwainer, and wife Mary, daughter of the deceased James Houlton, conveyed to her brother James Houlton her part of the estate June 22, 1730. Joseph Holton, jr., of Salem, cordwainer, son of the deceased, for twenty-five pounds, conveyed to Mr. Fowle one-sixth of the estate March 15, 1731.** David Felton of Salem, carpenter, and wife Sarah, for a similar consideration, conveyed one-sixth of the house and land to Mr. Fowle Dec. 7, 1739.†† Richard James of Marblehead, mariner, released his interest in the estate to Mr. Fowle, for ten pounds, May 21, 1747.‡‡ The house was then called "an old house," and Mr. Fowle probably took it down soon after, erecting a new one in its place.

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 2, leaf 110.

†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 3, leaf 49. ‡Essex Registry of Deeds, book 39, leaf 50. §Essex Registry of Deeds, book 39, leaf 49.

Essex Registry of Deeds, book 52, leaf 135. ¶Essex Registry of Deeds, book 58, leaf 44.

  • *Essex Registry of Deeds, book 60, leaf 107.

††Essex Registry of Deeds, book 86, leaf 147. ‡‡Essex Registry of Deeds, book 52, leaf 157.Samuel Reed House. This lot was a part of the estate of Erasmus James of Marblehead, who died in 1660. His widow, Jane James, had this lot and died possessed of it in 1669. This is probably the lot of land described in the inventory of her estate as the land by the pound, and valued at five pounds. By agreement between her son Erasmus James and her daughter Hester, wife of Richard Reed, this lot became the property of Hester, June 30, 1669. The title to it descended to Hester's son, Samuel Reed of Marblehead, mariner, who owned the lot in 1700.


Prudence Reed, sr., and Prudence Reed, jr., Lot. This lot was conveyed by Samuel Friend of Manchester, planter, for three pounds, to John Peach, jr., of Marblehead, fisherman, 3: 10: 1658.* Later, it belonged to Richard Hollingworth; and, Oct. 15, 1690, Richard Reed of Marblehead, mariner, conveyed it to his son Samuel Reed.† The father, Aug. 7, 1691, conveyed it to David Harris and William Hall of Boston, mariners, as feofees in trust, for the benefit of Prudence Hicks of Boston, spinster, whom he was about to marry.‡ Mr. Reed died in 1693, and Samuel Reed, then of Marblehead, mariner, son of the deceased, released the lot to his step-mother, Prudence Reed, and his sister Prudence Reed Dec. 29, 1699.§ It belonged to Mrs. Reed and Prudence in 1700.*Essex Registry of Deeds, took 1, leaf 43. †Ipswich Registry of Deeds, book 5, page 402. ‡Essex Registry of Deeds, book 9, leaf 13.§Essex Registry of Deeds, book 13, leaf 248.


Prudence Reed, sr., and Prudence Reed, jr., Lot. This lot early belonged to Richard Hollingworth, and later to Richard Reed of Marblehead, mariner, who, Oct. 15, 1690, conveyed it to his son Samuel Reed.¶ Richard Reed, the father, Aug. 7, 1691, conveyed it to David Harris and William Hall of Boston, mariners, as feofees in trust, for the benefit of Prudence Hicks of Boston, spinster, whom he was about to marry.** Mr. Reed died in 1693, and his son, Samuel Reed, of Marblehead, mariner, released the lot to his step-mother, Prudence Reed, and his sister Prudence Reed Dec. 29, 1699.* It belonged to Mrs. Reed and Miss Reed in 1700.¶Ipswich Registry of Deeds, book 5, page 402.

  • *Essex Registry of Deeds, book 9, leaf 13.*Essex Registry of Deeds, book 13, leaf 248.

Samuel Reed Lot. This lot belonged to Richard Rowland before 1680. He died in 1685, having devised this lot to his daughter Abigail Reed. The lot was then valued at seventy pounds. In 1689, it belonged to Samuel Reed, and in 1718 to Ester Reed of Marblehead, spinster.


Prudence Reed. sr., and Prudence Reed, jr., House. This lot of land belonged to John Russell very early. He died before May 14, 1660, when his daughter Ann Garred conveyed it to Richard Reed and Samuel Cundie, both of Marblehead.‡ For five pounds, Mr. Cundie conveyed his half to John Brimblecome of Marblehead Dec. 10, 1661; and subsequently the lot became wholly the estate of Mr. Reed, who, Oct. 15, 1690, conveyed it to his son Samuel Reed of Marblehead, mariner.¶ Richard Reed of Marblehead, mariner, conveyed this land with a dwelling house thereon to David Harris and William Hall of Boston, mariners, in trust for Prudence Hicks of Boston, spinster, whom he is to marry, Aug. 7, 1691.* Samuel Heed built a new house upon the lot in the summer of 1699, and conveyed the house and land to his step-mother Prudence Reed, sr., and sister Prudence Reed, jr., Dec. 29, 1699.* Mrs. and Miss Reed removed to Boston, and for two hundred pounds released the house and lot to said Samuel Reed of Marblehead, merchant, Feb. 7, 1709-10.‡ Samuel Reed having already sold the house and land under and around it, for one hundred and thirty pounds, to Benjamin Stacey of Marblehead, mariner, Jan. 81,1709-10. § Mr. Stacey died before Feb. 25, 1724-5, when administration upon his estate was granted to his widow Martha Stacey. The house, barn, small shop and land adjoining were then appraised at two hundred and forty pounds. The estate was insolvent. How much longer the house stood is not known. Benjamin Stacey's widow married, secondly, Joseph Sweat Sept. 13, 1725 ; and perhaps lived here. ‡Marblehead town records.

Essex Registry of Deeds, book 2, leaf 30. ¶Essex Registry of Deeds (Ipswich Series), book 5, page 402.

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 9, leaf 13.

†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 13 leaf 248. ‡Essex Registry of Deeds, book 39, leaf 144.§ Essex Registry of Deeds, book 26, leaf 12.


Estate of Henry Stacey Lot. This land originally belonged to Moses Maverick, and Henry Stacey, who then had his dwelling house thereon, in 1671. Mr. Stacey died in the autumn of 1689, having devised his estate to his wife Jane, and after her decease to his daughter Martha. The house and land were then appraised at forty-five pounds. The widow married Samuel Reed of Marblehead, fisherman, in 1692, and they, his wife Jane being executrix of the will of Mr. Stacey, conveyed the land to Capt. John Calley of Marblehead, mariner, March 8, 1705-6.¶ The house was gone in 1699, and for many years subsequently this lot was known as Stacey's orchard.¶Essex Registry of Deeds, book 30, leaf 195.


Samuel Reed House. This lot belonged to James Watts of Marblehead, fisherman, before March 22, 1671, when he conveyed it to Samuel Reed of Marblehead, fisherman.** Mr. Reed conveyed the land with the "old house and old barn" thereon to Capt. John Calley of Marblehead, mariner, March 29, 1716.†† Probably the house stood but a few years longer.**Essex Registry of Deeds, book 7, leaf 104.††Essex Registry of Deeds, book 30, leaf 194.

Samuel Reed House. This lot of land and the lot of Erasmus James adjoining belonged to Erasmus James of Marblehead very early. He sold the land and the house thereon to his son-in-law Richard Reed of Marblehead, fisherman, but died, about 1660, before a deed of the estate had been passed. Jane James, the widow of the deceased, was appointed administratrix of his estate June 26, 1660; and, June 16, 1665, she gave Mr. Reed a deed of the estate.* Mr. Reed was living in 1678, but probably died a few years later. He was succeeded upon the estate by Samuel Reed of Marblehead, apparently his son. Samuel Reed evidently built as a tavern the house shown on the map. In the rear, connected with the house by three steps, was the kitchen, a building nearly as large on the ground as the house itself. Tradition states that this was not only the kitchen, but the quarters of the slaves owned by Mr. Reed. Mr. Reed died Dec. 4, 1718, at the age of fifty-seven. His real estate was divided by deed March 25, 1732. The northeasterly half of the house was released to his widow Mary; and the southwesterly half of the "mansion house" and land, with an old shop, was released to his son John Reed of Marblehead, shoreman.† Accompanying the record of these releases is a copy of a plan showing the division of the estate which is here reproduced. The house measured about forty-eight by twenty feet, and the kitchen about forty by fifteen feet. At the time of this division the street line was changed to the present line. The continuous line on the north and east were the street lines at that date; and the dotted lines are the present lines to which they were changed. This was a knoll, and the old road ran around it; subsequently the street was straight and the town house was left on one side. Mary Reed, widow of Samuel Reed, married, secondly, Nicholas Andrews, Nov. 28, 1721 and he died in 1730. She survived him, and died, his widow, in the winter of 1740-1. Her son Samuel Reed of Marblehead, cordwainer, conveyed two-fifths of the dower part, for sixty-two pounds, to his brother John Reed of Marblehead, who was then a butcher, Jan. 11, 1741.* Samuel's brother, Richard Reed of Marblehead, gentleman, for twenty pounds, conveyed his fifth to John on the same day.† John Reed then conducted a tavern in the house; and died in 1764. The mansion house and barn and land were then valued at three hundred and ninety pounds. The estate came into the possession of his son, John Reed of Marblehead, mariner, who died in the winter of 1777-8, having devised the income of his estate to his wife Agnes (Annis), who subsequently married Ebenezer Foster. After her decease, he gave the absolute title to John Reed Malcom and Elizabeth Malcom, children of his sister Mary, who had married Alexander Malcom of Marblehead, mariner, both of whom having died before 1771, the date of the will. For twenty-one pounds and twelve shillings, John Reed Malcom of Marblehead, mariner, Samuel Ashton of Marblehead, fisherman, and wife Elizabeth, and widow Mary Abbot‡ of Marblehead conveyed the estate to Elbridge Gerry, Esq., of Marblehead, June 14, 1783.§ Ebenezer Foster of Boston, blacksmith, and his wife Annis, administratrix of the estate of John Reed, for forty-three pounds and four shillings, released the house and land to Mr. Gerry June 16, 1783.

The house was then called "an old dwelling house." For twenty-five pounds, Mr. Gerry conveyed to Robert Hooper, Esq., 28 of Marblehead, the land under the northeasterly end of the house, reserving "the Liberty of taking down and removing the said dwelling house from said granted land when he or they shall see fit within, twelve months from the date hereof," July 5, 1783.¶ The house was probably taken down within the twelve months.

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 2, leaf 110.

†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 61, leaf 156. ‡Essex Registry of Deeds, book 61, leaf 159.

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 129, leaf 219.

†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 129, leaf 220. ‡Daughter of Alexander and Mary Malcom. §Essex Registry of Deeds, book 141, leaf 21.

Essex Registry of Deeds, book 141, leaf 198.¶Essex Registry of Deeds, book 141, leaf 13.


Samuel Reed House. John Northey, sr., of Marblehead for fifty pounds, conveyed to Mr. Samuel Morgan and John Furbush, both of Marblehead, these lots of land, all ye stage with a little house adjoining to the stage, with the privilege of one shallop mooring in the cove, Feb. 25, 1671.* Messrs. Morgan and Furbush conveyed the same estate to Richard Reed of Marblehead May 25, 1672.† In consideration of marriage with Prudence Hicks of Boston, spinster, Richard Reed of Marblehead, mariner, conveyed to Daniel Harris and William Hall of Boston, mariners, as feofees, for her use, in case she survived him, this estate with a dwelling house thereon, Aug. 7, 1691.* The estate came into the hands of Samuel Reed, apparently son of Richard Reed; and Samuel owned it in 1714.March 30, 1674, Mr. Northey, who had owned this land, conveyed to Christopher Lattamore of Marblehead, mariner," a well, that stood in my land, which I sould to John Furbush & Samuell Morgaine, now in the possession of Richard Reed, with a passage waye to ye sd well."†

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 3, leaf 167.

†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 3, leaf 168.

  • Essex Registry of Deeds, book 9, leaf 13.†Essex Registry of Deeds, book 4, leaf 55.
view all

Hester Reed's Timeline

1642
1642
Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
1661
October 1, 1661
Age 19
Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
1690
1690
Age 48
Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States