Is your surname Dayton?

Research the Dayton family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Hiram Dayton

Birthplace: Herkimer, Herkimer County, New York, United States
Death: December 10, 1881 (83)
American Fork, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
Place of Burial: American Fork, Utah County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Friend Dayton and Ann Dayton
Husband of Nancy Dayton; Nancy Louise Cooper; Sophia Dayton; Mary Dayton; Lucy Ann Dayton and 3 others
Father of Moroni Dayton; Albert Friend Dayton Cooper; Louisa Mamie Davis; Charles Hyrum Dayton; Alma Theodore Dayton and 11 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Hiram Dayton

Hiram married 3 daughters of Samuel Lance and Marie Nancy Lance Cooper (1818 - 1879) Mary Lance Dayton (1820 - 1879) Sophia Lance Dayton (1826 - 1861)

Biographical Summary:

"... SUFFERINGS AND LOSS OF PROPERTY OF HIRAM DAYTON AND FAMILY. "I received the Gospel of the Latter Day Saints in the year 1832. Myself and wife were baptized by the Prophet Joseph Smith. I was at that time living at Parkman, Ohio. My persecutions were so heavy that I could not live there long. My friends and neighbors destroyed my property, and twice laid plans to take my life. When I left Parkman with my wife and nine children, I was forced to sell my farm for $500, It was sold three years later for $5,000.

Then I moved to Kirtland, Ohio where I opened up a farm and put it under cultivation. I broke up sixty acres and put a double ditch around the whole farm. My farm was valued at $1,000. I built a good house and set out a good orchard. I then built me a house in the city of Kirtland costing $800. also built a good frame barn, clap boarded and finished off in the best style, valued at $300. I then set out an orchard of all kinds of fruit. I took a job on Public Works to cut down the hills. The grade to run opposite the Temple, and I contracted to dig a canal to turn the Chignan River in. This canal was for running steamboats up to Kirtland. I expended on the above work $2,000 in cash and worked my whole family for a year. Will put our labor at $500. We were driven from Kirtland and I could not accomplish all my works this was in 1836. Then we settled in Daviess County Missouri. We bought out the settlers there. I turned over my part, one pair of good horses, one new wagon and one set of new harnesses, worth in all $600. We were driven from Daviess County in 1838, losing everything.

We then went to Far West, Mo. where we suffered considerably. When we were forced to leave here by ovder of the mob. I was sick and also my family of ten, except one daughter. I had to leave my three children in the hands of the mob. It was in February and extremely cold weather. I drove the distance of thirty miles when I stopped to bait my team. Three of my children begged me to throw them out of the wagon to die, for they would soon freeze to death. Next day I could not stand to think of my children in the hands of the mob, so I drove back for them. The army numbering 14,00 was at that time in Far West. They had destroyed all they stock they could get hold of, and even took the hogs out of their pens. Before leaving Far West we had just completed a horse mill, and I had soy corn in a field. While gathering the corn from the field, two men were killed by the mobbers, and I had to flee for my life. (My son Lysander gathered the corn.) I shelled out two bushels and put one of my horses on the mill and ground it out in the night. There being nothing to eat in Far West, we hid hogs about the mill. I being so sick and not being able to do anything myself, and the soldiers still being there, I asked one of them to shoot a hog for me. He said he would shoot it for a bit. (12 1/2 c) I had no money, not even a bit, and while pleading with him to kill the hog, I saw one of the Brethren coming toward us. I asked him if he had a bit to let me have. He gave me all the money he had which was 25c. The soldier shot the pig but did not kill it. I wanted him to shoot it again but he would not do it unless I paid him another bit, which I did.

He then shot and killed the pig. I then asked him if he would please help me get the hog in my wagon, and he utterly refused to help me. I was not able to lif t fifty pounds. My son Lysander drove my team into a deep hollow, got a couple of poles and put them in the back of the wagon. We then snoked the hog to them and rolled it in on them. We had cleaned the hog before putting it in the wagon. I then started back to Far West, crossed the river whore my children were. Two of them were sick and I had nothing to give them but some frozen corn bread. Having arrived at Far West, I got into a house of Sister Rigdons. Her husband, some of the Twelve and the Prophet was then in Liberty Jail. This was the first time my wife had been in a house for ten months. She was therefore very feeble, having been confined two months previous to our coming back to Far West. We stayed with the Rigdons about ten days. I then rented a small house of one of the Brethren. We stayed there for two weeks and then had to give possesion to the owner. Some few days after this a merchant heard my conversation with several friends and the owner of the house I had just left. I was talking about what I should do. He, the merchant proposed giving myself and team and labor, to freight merchandise for him and some of his friends. He said the Missourians would get drunk and steal his goods. He had a log cabin and stable one and a half miles from the city, which he said we could occupy. I loaded up what things I could take and moved out there. One of my daughters (Nancy) the one who had been well all through my sickness, rode horseback without saddle or blanket. She caught a violent cold while going out there, and took sick in a few days and lived about two weeks and died. I took her body down to the City to bury her.. The ground was frozen very deep. I was very feeble and not being able to dig her grave. I asked several bystanders to assist me, but I could not get them to help me at all. I then borrowed some tools and went to the graveyard when a negro came to me and said, "Massah, I will dig the grave and bury your daughter."

At that time we were destitute of food and clothing. My son Lysander drove the team, freighting for the merchant. He worked for him seven weeks and earned about $30. per week. I began to feel a little better in health. I felt as though I could do pretty well. On the eighth week I took one of my horses to haul up some wood to the door. I hitched on to a stick about thirty feet long. I got bound between two stumps. I took hold of the top end to raise it up when I fell as quick as though I had been shot. My wife and daughter was standing in the door and came to pick me up. I was about eight rods from the house. They helped me along, about half of the way I fell again. They lifted me up and carried me in the house and laid me upon the bed. I was bedfast for eleven weeks racked in most violent pain, the doctor called the disease "Theatic Rheumatism" in the kidneys. It finally broke and discharged, and I felt a little better. My eldest son Lysander and the team made out enough to keep the family up, until the first of April 1839, we then all had to leave Missouri or be exterminated. Four days previous to our time of starting, one of my neighbors came to me and said he wanted to have my son and team work for him one day. I had a very fine mare. He had tried very often to buy from me. My son performed the labor and turned the horses into a very strong yard. In the morning the mare was gone. My son hunted for her and of I hired a man to help him, three days, and she could not be found. We had I to leave and I was then amongst strangers, thirty miles from Far West. I then took an old horse that had followed me from Far West and harnessed We him up with my good horse. I chained the good horse back so he would have all the load to pull, the old horse coming along just to hold up his side of the tongue. A portion of the family being able to walk we traveled eight miles the first day. The boys nursed the old horse up the best they could. He improved so that in a few days he could pull his portion of the load.

We finally landed at the Mississippi River opposite Quincy, Illinois. We remained there about two weeks in which time I was able to walk with a little help. We then went to Nauvoo. The whole camp of us and the most part of the Saints at the Mississippi River were penniless and nothing to help themselves with, there may have been a few exceptions. Some few of the Saints got able to put in a little garden, same wore able to break up land and put in some crops. After remaining there six weeks I recovered myself so as to be able to go to work. I built a good outstanding house, bought a piece of land from the government. (80 acres) With the help of my boys we put sixty acres under improvements. I bought ten acres of land from Hiram Kimball, and built three good houses and was prosperous in every thing I went into.

We remained there and helped build up that city and the Temple, until the mob came upon us. Not being able to sell anything, I left my property in the hands of Hiram Kimball, the original owner of the land, for to sell and do the best he could for me. He sold the property for houses and lots in the city of Boston, Mass. He afterwards took the Overland Mail. But I could collect nothing from him. Before taking the mail, he sold the property in Boston, bought with my lands, for $4,000, which was a dead loss to me. It was at the time when the property was worth three times the amount received.

After we left Nauvoo in 1846, I crossed the River with many of the Saints and went about ten miles to a town of which I have forgotten the name of. I had to make two trips to get my things there, my team not being heavy enough to pull them all at once. Myself and boys labored there until the fall of the year and earned me another team and wagon. We then moved to Garden Grave, with many of the Saints in 1846, We remained over the winter and put in our crops in the Spring. Being destitute of provisions I went into Missouri and worked for grain and meat etc. From Garden Grove, Iowa, went to Kaysville, Iowa. There we opened farms, mine being worth $400. We stayed there one year and then went with the most of the Saints to Winter Quarters. I opened a farm about two and a half miles from town and with the help of my boys broke up thirty acres valued at $400. After I had got under full headway, about the first of April, the Indians stole all my cattle, but one steer and one cow, which I used as a team. The cattle they stole was well worth $250. When I commenced operations the First of April, all I had to sustain my family, consisting of fifteen souls, was one sack of flour, one bushel of meal, forty pounds of bacon and very little salt, which was all we could have until I raised more. We were obliged to dig wild potatoes, wild onions and greens, which was the principal part of our living.

The next season I took a job digging a mill race, by the request of President Young. I accomplished that and got a mill running. I then started from Winter Quarters with the 5th Company with Ezra Taft Benson. I had two yoke of cattle each, some oxen and some cows. We arrived in Salt Lake City, October 27, 1849

I am now here in Cedar Valley, Utah County, Utah, enjoying good health, in the month of May 1878 and an eighty years old the first day of November next."

(Written by W.N. Bassett and dictated by Hiram Dayton Sr.)..."

SOURCE: Retrieved from:

  • Residence: Parkman, Geauga, Ohio, United States - 1830
  • Residence: Pottawatamie county, Pottawatamie, Iowa - 1850

Son of Friend Dayton and Ann Herrington

Married Permelia Bundy, 1 Nov 1820, of Parkman, Geauga, Ohio

Married Sophia Lance, 27 Jan 1846, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois


Married Nancy Lance, 24 Feb 1848, Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska

Married Mary Lance, 24 Feb 1848, Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska

Married Lucy Ann Millard, 26 May 1857


Married Louise Jones, 6 Jul 1870, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah


Married Nancy Allen, 6 Jul 1870, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah


Married Mindwell Bundy, 6 Jul 1870, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Biography of Hiram Dayton

view all 27

Hiram Dayton's Timeline

November 1, 1798
Herkimer, Herkimer County, New York, United States
October 19, 1821
Age 22
Welchfield, Geauga, Ohio, USA
August 20, 1824
Age 25
Welchfield, Geauga, Ohio, USA
January 5, 1825
Age 26
Farmington, Geauga County, Ohio, United States
January 5, 1825
Age 26
Bundyburgh, Geauga, Ohio, USA
August 15, 1827
Age 28
Parkman, Geauga County, Ohio, United States
July 15, 1829
Age 30
Bundyburgh, Geauga, Ohio, USA
February 12, 1831
Age 32
Parkman, Geauga County, Ohio, United States
October 23, 1832
Age 33
Parkman, Geauga, Ohio, USA