Hugh de Port, Lord of Seamer
|Birthplace:||Port-en-Bessin, Calvados, Normandy, France|
|Death:||Died in Seamer, Scarborough, North Ride Yorkshire, England|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Hugh de Port, Lord of Seamer
About Hugh de Port, Lord of Seamer
Semær (xi cent.); Semere (xi–xviii cent.); Semar (xii-xvi cent.); Seymer, Semour (xvi-xviii cent.).
This parish is composed of the townships of Seamer and Irton and the chapelry of East Ayton. Its area is 8,450 acres, of which 18 acres are covered by water, 4,422 acres are arable, 2,178 acres permanent grass and 738 woodland. (fn. 1) The subsoil is Alluvium, Oxford Clay, Corallian Beds and Inferior Oolite. In Ruston Cliff Wood by the Derwent, the western boundary, are Whetstone Quarry, Whetstone Trod, Ayton Forge Cottages and Wallis Quarry, and there is a quarry at Crossgates. This hamlet lies at the junction of the Scarborough and Filey roads, which unite before passing through Seamer on their way to York and Driffield. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes and turnips. In 1768 1,337 acres were inclosed in East Ayton. (fn. 2) The village of Seamer is built upon practically level ground and contains no features of any antiquity. The church of St. Martin and the vicarage are in the centre. A short distance to the west of the church are some scanty remains of the manor-house. A ruined fragment of wall containing a 15th-century doorway is now all that is standing above ground, but extensive foundation mounds may be traced in connexion with it.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64696 ___________________________________________________________________________ Earl Tostig, treacherous brother of Harold, the last Saxon King, held Holdenhurst prior to the Norman Conquest. After 1066, William the Conqueror first held it himself, later bestowing it upon Hugh de Port who distinguished himself by killing so many English at the Battle of Hastings. Decades later it reverted to the Crown Source: http://www.opcdorset.org/Holdenhurst/Holdenhurst.htm _________________________________________________________________________________ Read Proceedings, Volume 2
By Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society (free ebook)
Candover Manor is mentioned, part of Hampshire; service in military. __________________________________________________________________________________ http://www.hampshire-history.com/basing-house-before-the-civil-war/ Hugh de Port, fought beside William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings, his actions won him the lordship of no fewer than 53 manors, Basing being one of them.
In the reign of King Henry I, Hugh de Port’s son, Henry, founded the Priory of Sherborne, near Basing. The connection continued. John de Port, son of Henry, was succeeded by his son, Adam de Port. It is at this point that a family name change occurs. Adam de Port, Lord of Basing, married Mabel, daughter of Reginald de Aurevalle and his wife Muriel. Muriel was the daughter of Roger de St. John, whose father, William de St. John, was very close to William the Conqueror
William de St. John, son of Adam de Port, assumed the name of his mother’s family and so Basing House became aligned with the name St John. _________________________________________________________________________________ The picture attatched to this page on 11 26 13 is also found on the following- https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4524514.Steven_Wood_Collins/blog/tag/battle-of-hastings Bayeux tapestry commissioned by Bishop Odo of Bayeux in 1077 __________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________
Hugh de Port, Lord of Seamer's Timeline
Port-en-Bessin, Calvados, Normandy, France
April 17, 1051
Port-en-Bessin-Huppain, Calvados, Lower Normandy, France
Seamer, Scarborough, North Ride Yorkshire, England