About Joseph Hampton Kuykendall
Texas State Historical Association
KUYKENDALL, JOSEPH (1794–1873). Joseph Kuykendall, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born in Kentucky, probably in Henderson, in 1794, the son of Adam and Margaret (Hardin) Kuykendall. The family moved to Arkansas Territory in 1808. In October 1821 Joseph and his wife, Rosanna, and his brother, Abner Kuykendall, left Arkansas Territory with family members for Texas. At Nacogdoches they joined their brother, Robert H. Kuykendall, Sr. In June 1822 they traveled to the mouth of the Colorado River to pick up supplies for the Austin colony. In 1823 and 1824 Joseph voted in the alcalde and deputy elections. In August 1823 he received from the Mexican government a labor of land, and on July 8, 1824, he received title to a sitio in the area that became Fort Bend County. In November 1830 the ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin appointed him a commissioner to choose the best route for a road from San Felipe to Marion. Kuykendall apparently was a cripple and attempted to remain neutral during the Texas Revolution. He was successful to some degree, for on April 12, 1836, after the Runaway Scrape, Col. Juan Bringas, commander of the vanguard unit of the Mexican army, wrote Kuykendall assuring him that since he had never taken up arms against the Centralists his rights as a Mexican citizen would be respected, and that he had nothing to fear from the Mexican troops under Bringas's command. Kuykendall did not, however emerge unscathed. Ironically, on the same day Bringas guaranteed that his rights would be respected, David G. Burnet wrote Thomas J. Rusk that the Mexicans had captured about thirty of the "finest horses in Texas," a portion of which belonged to "Mr. Kyrkendal." Kuykendall lived about five miles south of Richmond. In February 1838 he served on the first petit jury in Fort Bend County. His first wife died in 1848. He married Eliza Jane Jones in January 1849. Kuykendall died in 1873 and was buried on his plantation, possibly in a brick crypt located on the Kuykendall-Tane Long League boundary line.