Is your surname Jones?

Research the Jones family

Jacob Jones's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Jacob Jones

Birthdate: (96)
Birthplace: Wilmington, New Castle County, Lower Counties on the Delaware
Death: 1828 (96)
Knottsville, Taylor County, Virginia (Present West Virginia), United States
Place of Burial: Knottsville, Taylor County, West Virginia, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Samuel Jones and Hannah Lewellen
Husband of Dinah Jones
Father of John Jones; Mary Brown; Benjamin Jones; Samuel Jones; William M. Jones and 3 others
Half brother of Jacob Lewellen; Thomas Lewellyn; Doctor Lewellen; Phillip Lewellyn; David Lewellyn and 3 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Jacob Jones

DAR JONES, JACOB Ancestor #: A062234 Service: PENNSYLVANIA Rank: ENSIGN Birth: 1732 WILLINGTOWN NEW CASTLE CO DELAWARE Death: 1828 MONONGALIA CO VIRGINIA Service Source: PA ARCH, 3RD SER, VOL 23, PP 285, 317 Service Description: 1) CAPT SHINN, RANGERS ON THE FRONTIER )County: WESTMORELAND CO - State: PENNSYLVANIA Created: 2002-03-27 23:23:55.3, Updated: 2011-12-07 17:09:57.0, By: 1451046 2) County: MONONGALIA CO - State: VIRGINIA

Jacob Jones,

Farmer, Hunter, Ranger & Scout,

Survived the Revolutionary War & Indian Skirmishes.

Jacob Jones performed scout duties for General Washington(?). In 1770 he came to Monongalia County and settled near the present town of Pentree, West Virginia. In 1774 during the Revolutionary War he was a frontier fighter and for his war service received land in Tayler Co WVA near Knottsville. He and his wife Dinah spent their final days in Knottsville.

From West Virginians in the American revolution by Ross b. Johnston p 153..Ensign Jacob Jones served as an ensign in the rangers of West Moreland County, PA and Monongalia County, VA. For a time was a member of Captain Nicholas Shinn's company. PA archives show that he received payment for at least 4 expeditions and also "depreciation pay" as a Continental Army soldier in PA. Considered a prt of the miitary quota from VA and received depreciation pay also in Richmond for the War.

The Virginia State Library Report 1911-1912, page 167, gives Jacob Jones as enlisted from Virginia. This quotes Revolutionary Army Vol 4 page 28 from four volumes of misc. manuscript matter concerning the Revolutionary War in the Library of Congress. The New York Historical Society Collection 1915 Page 640 names Jacob Jones of Virginia among those enlisted for the duration of the war and among those 'settled'.

The following information came from an old History Book on Monongahela Valley, Virginia (now W. VA) published in the 1800’s and THE JONES STORY written by Thomas Robert “Bob” Booher, (Note: Monongalia County is named after the Monongahela River and is either the latin version or was an error in spelling.)

“The earliest known ancestor of the Jones family was the mother of Jacob Jones, who married for a second time Samuel Lewellen and moved with him from near Wilmington, Delaware, to Loudon County, Virginia, where they lived until about 1770. The Lewellens then moved across the mountains and settled on the Cheat River, establishing the old Lewellen Ferry, in Monongalia County, VA. (where the Pennsylvania Railroad now crosses the river.) Samuel had obtained a grant of land there in 1771 and his name is prominently mentioned in old records among the early settlers of the county.

Jacob was born in 1732 near Wilmington, Delaware. He was fatherless almost from birth, was adopted by a wealthy planter in the area of Wilmington, and lived with his foster parents until he came of age. Jacob, always fond of hunting and a “dead shot” early developed those pioneer traits which distinguished his career. He met and married Dinah Stanton of Little Egg Harbor, NJ, and soon after his marriage they moved to Loudon County near the home of his mother and stepfather, and afterward went with them across the Allegheny Mountains. Jacob and Dinah settled on the west side of the Monongahela River, on Dunkard Creek, near the present town of Pentree. This was known then as the Indian side of the river and the place he selected was then on the extreme frontier. They started out life in the wilderness across the mountain from the scenes of their youth. At the close of their lives they had improved a good homestead and were well to do. Their adventures, struggles and hardships if fully described would require volumes. Fights with Indians and hunting expeditions are still being told over and over again.

The assets of those times consisted in adventure and the bare necessities of life. Constant vigilance was the law of life and the rifle was as essential as any article of apparel. Always in danger, they suffered from three well-organized raids of the Indians, 1774, 1777, and 1778.”

After the attack in 1777 where two of his children were capture (see story below), Jacob removed to a safer situation on Cheat River, and served in the militia on the frontier until the close of the Revolutionary War. He had a grant of land on Cheat Bottom, now Tucker Co. WVA. then Wicker Creek and then in 1794 he obtained a grant near Knottsville, WVA where he spent his remaining days. In 1904 a family reunion was held near the spot where they were buried and a monument to their memory was formally dedicated.

The following are stories found in various publications about the Indian attacks they encountered.

Dinah gives birth while fleeing from approaching Indians

In 1774 the family was warned by scouts of the approach of Indians, and had time to find refuge in the fort at Morgantown, about seventeen miles away, but as Dinah was expecting and not in condition to make the journey, he sent the children to the fort and remained with her in the cabin.  A scout named Morgan gave them a second warning and they then started for the fort.  After traveling about five miles Dinah gave birth to a son, William. Morgan carried the newborn baby and the guns, while Jacob assisted his wife in the long and hazardous journey through the wilderness.  

In 1775 or 76 a fort was built near their home on the old Statler farm, and during the Indian outbreak of 1777 the settlers were sheltered their.

The saga of John and Mary (Polly) Jones—Two of Jacob’s children.

(Our ancestor Benjamin was a younger brother and would have been 9 years old at the time of this story)

On the evening of June 13, 1777 Jacob Farmer and his daughter Susie, Jacob Jones and his eldest children, Mary (Polly) and John, and others went to the home of Jacob Farmer, planning to spend the night and hoe corn the next day. During the night the house was surrounded by a band of about thirty Indians and an attack at daybreak began. A man named Nathan Worley and Jacob Farmer were killed, Susie Farmer and Mary and John Jones were take captive. Jacob escaped by making a rush past the Indians to the bank of the stream. He was shot at 15 times, one shot passed through his ear, another hit his belt and a third passed between his legs. He met up with a man named John Marsh who was part of the group and together they saw the children dragged up the hill on the other side of the creek.

The children were taken westward across the Ohio River. Susie was unable to keep up with the party and was tomahawked and scalped before the other children's eyes.

John and Mary fully expected to be killed at any moment. In fact Mary’s feet became so sore that she could hardly walk, and probably would have been killed had not an old Indian taken a liking to her and carried her most of the way through the forest from then on.

On the way John devised a plan to escape, but was dissuaded by Mary who told him that they could not find their way back and even if they could, they could not cross the big river, and if he should be recaptured he would probably be burnt at stake. Such was the penalty of those who tried to escape.

John and Mary were adopted into different families of the Wyandottes and lived near Sandusky, Ohio. After arriving at Sandusky, the children were made to run the “gauntlet” which they did successfully, to the gratification of their captors. On the whole the children were treated as kindly as the Indian’s method of living would admit and their hardships were probably no greater then those which the Indians had to undergo themselves. Mary was especially obedient and, consequently was held in high esteem, but John never became reconciled and was always planning to escape. Finding at last after five years of persuasion, that he could not induce Mary to join him, John’s desire to get away became so great that he decided to try to make his escape.

One day the Indians went down to the lake to fish through the ice. Some of the children had sleds and skates made of bones to play on the ice with. Unknown to the Indians John was very good at ice skating, he having learned to skate when only a few years old, with skates made of bone. John begged to be allowed to try the skates and at first the Indians watched him suspiciously. But he pretended he couldn’t hardly stand up and would fall down violently, thus amusing the Indians greatly. They howled and laughed with glee as he slid awkwardly about. All the time he slyly getting farther away from them and out in the bay. At last when he thought he had enough head start he got to his feet and sped rapidly away before the startled Indians could apprehend him.

John made his way to Detroit where he was taken in by Dr. Harvey and treated as a son. He was given as good a schooling as the times afforded, and as much knowledge of medicine as the doctor could give. John started for England to complete his medical course and got as far as Montreal when a desire to see his people if any were yet living, caused him to return and go to Pittsburgh instead. Jacob Jones, learning of this fact went after him and took him home. In all John was away eleven years, five at Sandusky with the Indians and six years with He remained in his homeland and became a valued scout.

Mary remained with the Indians for ten years during which time the members of the Wyandotte family that had adopted her all died. Some say she had married a Wyandotte Chieftain and after he was killed in a battle with the white people she was traded to the whites by the terms of a peace treaty. The bronze plaque affixed to the Jones-Malott memorial monument on her grave at Kingsville, Ontario bears her life story and states that she was rescued near the present city of Detroit, Michigan by a British Officer, Colonel McCoomes, with whom she lived for three years. She then married Peter Malott. Peter was a young French fur trader and soldier of Huegenot ancestory. He was stationed at Ft. Detroit at the time Mary was taken in to live with the family of Colonel McComes.

Mary and Peter first went to live in Grosse Isle, Michigan, where they remained for about two years and then moved to an area on the shore of Lake Erie near Kingsville, Ontario, Canada. During their marriage Peter and his brother-in-law, Simon Girty, traveled to Jacob's home and this story can be found later in this section. After Peter's death in 1816 Mary also traveled back to a reunion with her brothers and sisters after a separation of forty years.

Reference to Jacob Jones can also be found in the history of a nearby town on Dunkard Creek called

Blacksville. Jacob's Dunkard Creek home was probably between Blacksville and Pentree and he is listed as one of the early settlers. In another accounting of the 1777 attack Indians can be found the following from the History of Blacksville:

“The first attack in force by the Indians occurred in July, 1777, near the present location of Blacksville. Captain John Minor, in command at Fort Statler, near the mouth of Jakes Run, wrote the following to Col. Zackwell Morgan under the date of the 14th.

“This minute Alexander Clegg came in great haste, who escaped the shot of a number of Indians, while we were getting ready to go after them John March and Jacob Jones came in, and say that they think they saw at least twenty, and followed them, but they escaped. The Indians fired at us and Jacob Farmer’s house. Two men and a boy were killed, a young woman and two children missing. It is supposed that she is killed: and Nathan Worley, and two of Jacob Jones children, and a daughter of Farmer’s. We shall march after them in less than an hour.”

Another reference is made of Jacob Jones in an article entitled “Famous Traitor Simon Girty Was Here”. Simon had married Peter Malotts sister Catherine who had also been captured by the Indians when she and her family were leaving Maryland for Kentucky in 1779. She met Simon while being held by the Indians and he convinced them to let them both go to Detroit where they married. At an old age Simon, accompanied by his brother-in-law Peter Malott traveled to West Virginia and the home of Jacob Jones, Peter's father-in-law. Sometime prior to 1805, Girty, suffering terribly from arthritis, heard that a Dr. Jehu Lash, living some 20 miles south of Morgantown, had, using certain herbs cured Jacob Jones, of a "most severe case of rheumatism." The news gave Girty hope.


Later, in the summer of 1805, Girty and his brother-in-law, Peter Malotte, set out "a-horse-back" for the region at the mouth of Three Forks Creek (now Grafton) where, they had learned through correspondence with Malotte's relatives, the Jacob Joneses, Dr. Lash was then living. The journey of Girty and Malotte, that began at Girty's farm near Malden, Canada, and ended at present Grafton, was slow and for Girty very painful. It was mid- August when the two men finally arrived at the Lash cabin on Three Forks Creek.

Here they were disappointed by the information that the doctor had gone into the mountains "herb-diggin" and might not return for weeks. Girty and Malotte went on, then, to Jacob's homestead near present Knottsville, and here, with Girty using the name of a first cousin, Simon Eckerlin, they remained for several days, until word came that the doctor was at "the Davisson farm" on Simpson Creek, treating a child for "horse-kick in the head." In a day or two the doctor returned home and Girty stayed with him for some days taking treatment before returning to his home in Canada where he died in 1815 having been stricken with rheumatism and was totally blind.

The monument in the picture is in memory of Jacob and Dinah Jones near Knottsville, WV on the original Jones land. Exact location of graves is unknown.


From the Exponent Telegram Newspaper January 17, 1934 JACOB JONES was born in 1732, near Wilmington Delaware, he married DINAH STANTON in Burlington County New Jersey on 28 September 1763. {She was a descendant of the GALE family}. After their marriage, they removed to Loudin County Virginia and settled near the home of Jacob's mother and stepfather, Samuel Lewellen, where they lived until 1769. They then moved, with the Leweellen's, to the Monongahela Valley settling on Dunkard's Creek, north of the Mason-Dixon line, in territory claimed by Virginia as part of West Virginia until 1770, when it became Monongahela County, also claimed by Pennsylvania as part of Cumberland County, which later by formation of new counties became Bedford County in 1771, Westmoreland County in 1781 and Green County in 1796. The Lewellens settled on Cheat River and established the Lewellen Ferry in Monongahela County, near the Pennsylvania line, obtained a land grant in 1771 and became prominent early settlers.

Jacob and Dinah Stanton Jones had three children born in Loudin County, Virginia, Mary in 1764; John in 1766; and Benjamin in 1768. Five more born in Monongahela County, Samuel, January 16, 1772 on Dunkard's Creek; William, May May 4, 1774; Jacob 1775; Rebecca, July 4, 1781; and Martha in 1784.

Jacob and Dinah Stanton Jones settled on the west side of Dunkard's Creek near the present town of Pentree, and suffered from Indian raids in 1774, 1777 and 1778. Warned by scouts in 1774 that savages were approaching, the settlers fled to the fort at Margan town 17 miles away, but Jacobs wife was in no condition to make the trip, so he sent their children and remained with her. A scout named Morgan gave them a second warning and they started for the fort. After going five miles, their son, William, was born. The scout carried the baby and guns while Jacob helped his wife, and they reached the fort safely. About a year later a fort was built near the Jones farm and during the 1777 raids, the settlers took refuge there.

On June 18, 1877 Jacob Farmer and daughter Susie, and Jacob Jones and children, Mary and John, with others went to the home of Jacob Farmer to spend the night and hoe corn the next day. A band of Indians surrounded the house that night and began an attack at daybreak. Jacob Farmer and Nathan Worley were killed and Susie Farmer, Mary and John Jones were taken captive. Rushing past the Indians , Jacob Jones reached a shelter on the bank of a Stream and ran along the bank near the water's edge until forced by three Indians in hot pursuit to climb the bank and run up along a fence of a clearing. Abandoning their efforts to take him alive, the Indians began shooting at him. One shot passed through an ear, one hit his belt and another went between his legs. At least 15 shots were fired at him . John and Jonas Marsh, members of a party who were hunting, saw the captive children being dragged along by the Indians. The children were taken westward and across the Ohio River. Susie Farmer, unable to keep up, was tomahawked and scalped in the presence of the Jones children. [Another version of this episode said that Susie was killed because she wouldn't stop crying. " E.L.A"]

Mary and John Jones were adopted by different families of Wyandotte Indians, near Sandusky, Ohio, but not until after they had been made to run the gauntlet, in the Indian village. John who was never reconciled, was always planning to escape. Mary was very obedient and was held in high esteem, and could not be persuaded to attempt the long trip home. After five years John escaped and reached Detroit, where he became a member of the family of Dr. Harvey, a physician, and was treated as one of the family and given as much education as possible. Dr. Harvey planed to send him to England to complete his medical education, but when john reached Montreal, his desire see his family caused him to turn southward. His father met him in Pittsburgh and he arrived home after an absence of eleven years. He afterward became a valued scout in the service against the Indians. [This same story in the 1924 West Virginia Review states that Dr. Jones eventually married and settled west of Grafton. "E.L.A.".] Mary remained ten years with the Wyandotte's, and was rescued after the death of the family with whom she had lived, and taken to Detroit and into the family of General McCombs. Three years later she became the wife of Peter Mallott and settled Grosse Island, after-ward removing to Kingsville, Ontario, Canada. After the death of her husband in 1816 she returned to the scenes of her childhood, crossing The lake at Cleveland, Ohio, and making the rest of her journey on foot. After an absence of 40 years, she again met her sisters and brothers. On her return trip to Ontario, two of her brothers accompanied her on horseback to Cleveland. She died at Kingsville, October 16, 1849, leaving 4 children -- Joseph, Mary, Anne and Peter.

A record of the Revolutionary service of Jacob Jones shows he was an Ensign in the services of the Rangers of the Frontier of Westmorland County, Pennsylvania and Monongahela County Virginia. For a time he was a member of Captain Nicholas Shinn's company. Pennsylvania archives show he received payment for at least 4 different expeditions, and also depreciation pay as a Continental Soldier in Pennsylvania. Other records show he was also considered a part of the Quota from Virginia and received depreciation pay in Richmond Virginia. After the capture of his two children he removed his family to a more secure spot on Cheat River and served in the militia on the frontier until the close of the Revolution. He resided for awhile on Cheat Bottom, now in Tucker County where he had a land grant. About 1794, he obtained a land grant near Knottsville, now in Taylor County, moved on it, and died there in 1828, aged 96 years. His wife died the same year at 93 years. A monument to their memory was dedicated in 1904 at a Jones Family Reunion held near the spot where they are buried near Knottsville West Virginia.

The Cheat River Today

Monongalia Co.

New Jersey The marriage bond of Jacob Jones, dated September 28, 1763, is signed by Jacob with Isaac Strattan as surity, both of Evesham in the county of Burlington, New Jersey. The bride to be was named Dinah Stanson of same place, spinster, as seen from the copy of the bond. Isaac Stratton was born in Evesham twp. in 1720 and died there in 1781. I have not found a relationship between Jones and Stratton. Perhaps Jacob was employed by him or was a neighbor. It is noted that Henry Oldacres (aka Oldaker, Ouldaker) married Elinor Borden in Evesham township on Nov. 6, 1732. They also went to Loudon Co., Va. and had a daughter that married Phillip Lewellen. This suggests a possibility that Jacob Jones was related in some way to the Oldacre family and returned to Evesham when he came of age. In Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New Jersey, Volume XXII - Marriage Records, 1665-1800, New Jersey Historical Society, 1900, the following Jones marriages are listed in Burlington Co. in that time frame: 1757, Dec. 17 - Josiah Jones, Burlington Co. and Mary Lewis, Burlington 1759, Jan. 16 - Benjamin Jones, Burlington Co. and Elizabeth Butler 1763, Dec. 28 - John Jones Jr., City of Burlington and Martha Staples 1764, Aug. 4 - Joseph Jones, Burlington Co., taylor and Sarah Shinn, Burlington There may be a slight possibility that John or Benjamin could be related, given that Jacob named sons John and Benjamin. A Jacob Jones also had a grant in Washington Co., Pa. adjoining a John Jones.

  1. 145; Jacob JONES and Isaac STRATTON, both of Evesham in the County of Burlington... [bound to]... William FRANKLIN,

Governor... 500 pounds... 28 Sept 1763. ... Jacob JONES... obtained license of marriage for himself and for Dinah STANSON of the same place, spinster... [w] Gab: BLOND from microfilm copies of original marriage bonds in possession of NJ Dept. of Education, Division of State Library Archives & History, filmed in 1966. "Marriages are from various counties, and are arranged in groups by surname, but not alphabetical within groups." (Family History Library Catalog; 0888701-0888710) FHLC 0888705; Vol. I, J, K; 1711-1790 (J3D #067 - #253; 1735-1783)


Mary & Peter Jr., traveled across Lake Erie by boat to Cleveland and then on foot through what was still relatively undeveloped Ohio and Western Virginia. Mary and Peter Jr. arrived at her parents home near Knottsville on June 15, 1817, and enjoyed a very happy reunion after forty years of separation. Jacob and Dinah, then aged eighty- five and eighty three, respectively, were still in good health and of course ecstatic to see Mary & her son. On June 25, 1817, the family held a major party in Knottsville celebrating Mary's return and many relatives and friends came from miles away for the event. This became the first Jones Reunion.


The old homestead of Samuel Jones near Knottsville was the scene of one of the most pleasant gatherings in the history of this branch of the great Jones family, whose ancestors were among the first settlers of this country. It was the occasion of the first reunion of the family which now numbers 66, including grand children and great grand children, 58 of whom were present on this occasion. Thanks to Cathie Shanks of California for this article.


Jacob Jones Reunion in Oak Grove, Indiana More than 200 descendants of Jacob Jones, of West Virginia held their annual reunion yesterday at oak Grove, east of Muncie, and the usual big time enjoyed. Nathan Jones, aged 88, the oldest living member of the family, was present and made an interesting speech. A big dinner was another feature. The following officers were elected. President Oliver Jones Secretary Arthur W. Shideler Treasure John A. Shroyer The next meeting will be held Aug. 1900 at Grafton, West Virginia. Newspaper article found on Genealogy Trails History Group, Delaware County, Indiana. (Oak Grove was the home place in Indiana of Jacob Jones, son of William, son of Jacob Jones,) The original Indiana settlement of this family is located north of this city. Two of their reunions have been held at Oak Grove, which is a part of the old homestead. From Hoosier State Chronicles.


The Jones Family Reunion and picnic with numerous connections was held in the beautiful Oak Grove, near Knottsville, on Wednesday. The day was an ideal one in every respect and the occasion one that will long be remember by all who were present either as a member of the Jones Family connection or as a mere guest or friend. There were nearly three hundred of the former enrolled during the day as present and from a hundred of the latter.

This was found in the August 24, 1900 Friday Grafton Sentinel


Parker City, The fourth annual reunion of the Jones family will be held at Kingsville, Ont., thirty miles east of Detroit, on Wednesday, Sept. 3.

This is were the number of reunions have change. At this reunion, they did not count the first as when Mary walked to West Virginia. This article came from The Indianapolis Journal, Volume 52, Number 234, August 22, 1902.

Between 500 & 600 people present at the 1902 Jones Reunion in Kingsville, Canada held in Tabenacle of Paridise Grove Park.


The 7th Jones family reunion was held in Kingsville, Canada on 1905.

In Sept. 7, 1904 the 6th Jones family reunion was held at the homestead, at which time a monument dedicated to Jacob & Dinah Jones was located near where they were buried. More than five thousand people were present at the unveiling of the monument. West Virginia Supreme Court Justice Marmaduke H. Dent delivered the address. The farm at the Jones homestead is still known in the community as the monument farm. Justice Dent's wife, Mary Jones Dent, was a great-grand-daughter of Samuel Jones, son of Jacob & Dinah Jones.

A ribbon came from the 9th Jones Family Reunion held in August 28,1907 in Knottsville, West Virginia.

view all 12

Jacob Jones's Timeline

Wilmington, New Castle County, Lower Counties on the Delaware
Age 34
Del. Co, VA
Age 35
Province of Virginia (Present West Virginia)
Age 36
Loudoun County, West Virginia
January 16, 1772
Age 40
Dunkards Creek, Monongalia Co, VA, USA
April 30, 1774
Age 42
Monongalia County, West Virginia, United States
October 31, 1775
Age 43
District of West Augusta, Province of Virginia
March 4, 1782
Age 50
West Virginia
Age 52
Monongalia,,West Virginia,USA