Matching family tree profiles for James Cahill
About James Cahill
Source: Lee Cahill, 10 October 2012 (Last updated 2 December 2017)
Collaborators: If you'd like to add to these notes, please do so in a separate section below as I'd like to preserve the integrity of my original notes. Thanks.
- The date of birth for this ancestor was found on the MyHeritage family tree from which I obtained the information about Michael Morris Cahill's ancestors (http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/person/Michael-Morris-Cahill/22863031-1001076(DF).
- I subsequently found a record on Ancestry24.com giving a DOD of 1837 and age at death as 62 (http://ancestry24.com/search-item/?id=C1396356) (see 'Sources'). This would give a DOB of 1775, confirming the date on MyHeritage. The source of this record is the National Archive, and all further information listed here is based on that record - see 'Sources' for a transcription (DN 21861/2). Note, however, that the information given on James's military retirement record (see 'Sources') indicates that his date of birth may have been 1777, although anomalies such as these aren't uncommon in records from this period.
- James Cahill was married twice. The name of his second wife, Elizabeth Goodman (also widowed at the time of their marriage), appears in a marriage record on Ancestry24 (http://ancestry24.com/search-item/?id=C294775) - see 'Sources' for a screen shot.
- The National Archive record on MyHeritage.com states that James Cahill was married, but does not give the name of his spouse (the name of his first wife, given here, comes from the birth certificate of their child, Frederick Daniel - see 'Sources' for a screen shot). James Cahill's children are listed there as: John J., Margaret, Mary Ann, Amelia, Fred and another minor child (in that order). I've added these records here.
- There is a record of James Cahill on the South African Settlers web site (http://www.southafricansettlers.com/?p=5118), which confirms his arrival in the Cape Colony, as well as the date and details of his birth - see 'Sources' for a transcription. The names of his children are given as John L., Margaret, Mary Ann, Amelia and Frederick Daniel. I've assumed this as their birth order.
- There is a record of the death of James Cahill in 1837 in the Cape Estates Death Notice Index (1834 - 1951).
- His death notice also appears in the NAAIRS RSA database (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?201303141104564EACF406&DN=00000002) - see 'Sources' for a transcription.
- A record detailing James Cahill's retirement from the military appears on the Genealogocal Society of SA web site (http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/index.php/military-records/retirements-1818-1826?limitstart=0) - see 'Sources' for a transcription. In this record, his age is given as 44 at the time of his retirement in 1821, which would give a birth date of 1777.
view all 12
James Cahill's Timeline
King's County (County Offaly), Ireland
Fort Beaufort, Eastern Cape, South Africa
June 1, 1810
Moneybeg, Carlow, Ireland
August 1, 1821
August 28, 1824
Simon's Town, Western Cape, South Africa
April 20, 1837
Cape Town, Cape Colony (South Africa)