Matching family tree profiles for James Franklin, a longhunter
About James Franklin, a longhunter
James Franklin 1750 - 1819 DAR Ancestor #: A041746
Pilot Knob, Sumner County, Tennessee
James Franklin came to Tennessee originally as a Long Hunter. These men were very much like the Mountain Men of the great Rocky Mountains in that they would go out to hunt and trade for a year (or longer) at a time. Hence, the name 'Long Hunter.'
On 640 acres land grant pre-emption on the West Fork of Station Camp Creek is where in 1788 James Franklin would build Pilot Knob, which is recorded to be the first brick home in Sumner County. It is there in 1789 that son Isaac is born and 4 more children would follow. (Sara, William, Betsy & Albert)
James Franklin could not read or write but he could farm and breed horses. These things he did successfully until his death in 1825. James Franklin is recorded as one of the first white settlers that helped found Sumner County. His marked grave still lies 300 yards south of his Pilot Knob home: the now Golden Era Plantation. His children and grand children would go on to make Sumner County one of the richest counties in the State of TN prior to the Civil War, becoming doctors, merchants and business men or in the case of the daughters, marrying the same. Their homes and farms still dot the Nashville Pike to this day on the West side of Gallatin, having been subdivided and some stripped of their historic designation.
DAR Vol 44 p230: James Franklin 1750-178? 5th VA reg 1778 born MD married in VA died in TN vol 76 p255 same James Franklin but says 1750-1819 died Sumter County, TN
Mary3 Lauderdale (James Lauderdale2 Sr., James1 Lauderdale) was born Abt. 1762 in Botetourt County, VA., and died Bef. 1828 in Franklin, Sumner County, TN.. She married John Franklin 1776 in Sumner County, TN..
Children of Mary Lauderdale and John Franklin are:
- John4 Franklin, born January 04, 1777; died WFT Est. 1778-1867.
- ames Franklin, born October 01, 1779; died WFT Est. 1804-1870. He married Prudence McKain WFT Est. 1800-1831.
- Jane Franklin, born January 04, 1782; died WFT Est. 1783-1876.
- Peggy Franklin, born June 12, 1784; died WFT Est. 1785-1878.
- Anna Franklin, born February 01, 1787; died WFT Est. 1788-1881.
- Isaac Franklin, born May 26, 1789; died WFT Est. 1842-1881. He married Adelicia Hayes Abt. 1839.
- Sally Franklin, born June 26, 1791; died WFT Est. 1792-1885.
- William Franklin, born October 01, 1793; died WFT Est. 1794-1883.
- Betsy Franklin, born May 14, 1796; died WFT Est. 1797-1886.
- Albert C. Franklin, born WFT Est. 1777-1804; died WFT Est. 1783-1884.
wife Mary Lauderdale born 1752 married 1782 her father John Lauderdale born PA & granted land in Franklin County, GA died GA ( see also Vol 111 p295; Vol 116 p 210 desc of William Franklin who married 1755 to Mary ____ born 1737, William Franklin r’cd bounty land in Washington County, GA for services as Pvt, GA Line, he was born VA died 1797 in Warren County, GA.
James Franklin, a longhunter's Timeline
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
January 4, 1777
Helston Valley, Sullivan, Tennessee, USA
October 1, 1779
January 4, 1782
June 12, 1784
February 1, 1787
May 26, 1789
June 26, 1791
Sumner Co. TN
October 1, 1793
Sumner Co. TN