|Birthplace:||Stonington, New London County, CT, USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for James Gilbert
About James Gilbert
- Genealogies of Connecticut families: from the New England historical and ... By Judith McGhan, Genealogical Publishing Co
Captain JOHN GILBERT, brother of Jonathan, of Hartford, m. Amy, daughter of Thomas and Dorothy Lord of Hartford, May 6, 1647, was admitted freeman May 21, 1657. -- The Court sold to him for L10, March 11, 1662-3, land lying between that of Capt. Richard Lord and of C. John Culick, and at "ye landing place on the Rivulet, both parcels being or lying in ye South Meadow at Hartford." May 19, 1663, the "Generll Court " allowed him "eleven pounds out of the Publique Treasury, for and in consideration of his horse that dyed in the country's service." Their children,
- John, born Jan. 16, 1647/8
- John, Feb. 19, 1652/3
- Elizabeth, Feb. 12, 1655/6
- Thomas, Sept. 14, 1658, m. Deborah Beaumont, Sept. 27, 1681. See Gen. Reg. IV. 137.
- Amy, April 3, 1663.
- Joseph, April 3, 1666. -- Mary Griswold ? May 17, 1692--2nd Elizabeth d. of Joseph Smith ? of Hartford, May, 1695.
- Dorothy Palmer (nee Gilbert, baptism not registered in Hartford) but mentioned in Capt. Gilbert's will
- James, mentioned in Capt. Gilbert's will
His will, of Aug. 1, 1690, names his wife Amy, sons Thomas, Joseph, and James, and d. Dorothy Palmer. Estate, L417 19 10. Mrs. Dorothy Lord, in her will, Feb. 8, 1669, leaves land to her "daughter Amy Gilbert and her children," and a legacy to Elizabeth Gilbert.