James Edward Pace, Jr

Is your surname Pace?

Research the Pace family

James Edward Pace, Jr's Geni Profile

Records for James Pace

841,745 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


James Edward Pace, Jr

Birthdate: (76)
Birthplace: Double Springs, Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States
Death: April 6, 1888 (76)
Thatcher, Graham County, Arizona, United States
Place of Burial: Thatcher, Graham County, Arizona, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Capt. James Pace, Sr. and Mary Ann Pace
Husband of Ann Pace; Lucinda Gibson Pace and Margaret Pace
Father of Adalaide Pace; James Orlando Pace; Mary Adelia Tyler; Ruth Elmina Alger; Sarah Ellen Cunningham and 20 others
Brother of Nancy Anderson; William Franklin Pace; Margaret (patsy) Pace; Pace; Zany Pace and 4 others

Occupation: farmer, Payson, Utah named after this man. Was part of the Mormon Battalion
Managed by: Gwyneth McNeil
Last Updated:

About James Edward Pace, Jr


James Pace, Jr., (1811-1888) son of James Pace and Mary Ann Loving had 3 wives, not 8 wives. His wives were: (1) 20 March 1831 Lucinda Gibson Strickland (2) Margaret Hewitt (as James Pace listed her name in his autobiography) (3) Ann Webb

For a full discussion see: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PACE/2003-02/1044852155


A biographical Sketch of the life of James Pace, the Son of James Pace, who was born in North Carolina January 23rd 1778 And married Mary Ann loving, daughter of Thomas and Polly Loving in 1796. He was the eldest Son of William Pace, Who had eight sons and two daughters.

In the year My father removed the Double Springs, Rutherford County, Tennessee, where I was born, June the l5th 1811, In the War of 1812, He volunteered and was elected Captain of Horse in the Service of the United States under Command of General Andrew Jackson. After being successful in several engagements, with Indians He lost his Life, at the memorial Battle of Orleans, December 23, 1814. Thus leaving My Mother a Widow with eight children six girls and two boys, viz--William and James, I being next to the youngest.

In this vecenity I grew to manhood and married Lucinda G. Strickland, March 20th 1831. On the 9th day of February 1832 William Byron our first son was borned. In the following December removed our fami1y to Shelby County State of Illinoise where I took up my residence early in the Spring of 33. I returned to Tennessee and assisted in removing my Father in law Warren G. Strickland and Family, to my residence in Illinoise. February the 25th l834 James Finis, our second son was born.

During this season we had a great deal of sickness, occasioned by settling a new country My Mother in law died, and on the 2lst of September l834 James Finis our second son died October 20th 1835, Mary Ann, our first daughter was born. This also was a verry sickly season. December 28th 1837, Warren Sidney our third son was born. In April 1839 I herd the first discourse on Mormonism from Elder Dominicus Carter, and on the l4th Inst myself and Wife were baptized and confirmed members of the Church Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints under his hands.

The ensuing September, Almon Babbit (While passing that way to Kirtland, Ohio) organised a Branch of the Church in our neighborhood When I was ordained a Deacon, April 15th 1840, Martha Elmira, our second daughter was born.

On the 2nd day of June following I started for the City of Nauvoo (then known as Commerce) with my Family and effects Where we arrived on the 12th. On the 13th I visited and was introduced to the Prophet Joseph Smith, after some conversation I was counsilled to locate in the City, Which I did and soon after commenced work upon Temple.

The following October Conference, I was ordained a Seventy, under the hands of the Council of Seventies.

January 10th 1842 We received our Patriarchal blessings under the hands of Hyrum Smith the Patriarch of the whole Church, which was recorded in Record Book--page 179 and 180, the following being a verbatim Copy

"The Patriarchal blessing of James Pace Son of James and Mary Ann Lovin Pace born in Middle Tennessee the 15th day of June 1811. I lay my hands upon your head in the name of Jesus of Nazereth, to place a blessing upon you, for your consolation, to be fulfilled hereafter, which blessing shall be by promise, and sealed by the sealing Power which is invested in me, for the time shall come when you shall feel the power of God to work which shall work untill the great object in view, shall be accomplished, for his spirit shall upon you, in power as upon the Residue of his Servants, which he hath called and chosen to prune the vinyard for the last time, and to push the People together from the ends of the Earth, as the Horns of Joseph as the thousand of Mannassah, and the tens of thousands of Ephream. Therefore ye are called and chosen and shall be blest in your calling, for ye are of Joseph in the lineage of Ephraim, and your calling and Inheritance shall be accordingly, and ye shall be blest with the Anointing and the Endowment in the house of the Lord, and shall be qualified with due diligence shall it be accomplished, even your mission according to your calling you shall be blest, Spiritually and Temporally also which are minor blessings aside from the importance of your calling, and your years shall be many, and crowned with an Holy Head and a Celestial Crown in the resurection of the Just, to gether with the order and power of the Pristhood upon the heads of your posterity, unto the latest generation. These promises I seal upon you even so Amen.

September 14th 1842, Margaret Angeline our third daughter was born, in the year 43 I was chosen a policeman by Joseph Smith and as such served the remainder or my sojourn in that place. That same season I was elected Captain of the 1st company of Infantry organized in Nauvoo (Succeeding Jesse D. Hunter who was promoted) designated Nauvoo Sentinels or Red Coats-- May 19th l844 I started on a mission to the State of Arkansas, where I arrived Preached, and baptised several, returning Home the ensuing July, while absent upon this mission Joseph and Hyrum Smith Prophet and Patriarch were murdered in Carthage Jail, while imprisoned under the pledged faith of the state of Illinoise for their safety June 27th 1844.*

  • From my first introduction to these men until their martyrdom I was an eye witness to most of their sufferings and can faithfully testafy that they were innocent of the charges, brought against them in every respect.

July 12th l845 John Ezra, our fourth son was born, at a conference of Seventies held in this year I was ordained one of the Presidents of the 17th Quorum of Seventies, the following December I was permitted to take my Wife into the Temple of the Lord at Nauvoo, Where we received our washings and Anointings in fulfillment of the predictions

the Patriarch Hyrum.

July January 10th l846 I had my Wife sealed to me in the Temple and on the 29th we received our second Anointings and blessings in the Temple. during this month, preperations were being made for the departure of the Saints from Nauvoo, in consequence of the over powering mobocratic influence, that surrounded us on every side. Consequently about the first of February the Quorum of the Twelve; and others began crossing the Mississippi and made their encampment on Sugar Creek about 8 miles west of the River

February 8th 1846 I succeeded in removing my Family across the River in the night leaving Houses and lands to the mercy of a ruthless mob, not knowing or caring where our Journey would terminate, leaving my Family at my Bro. William Paces about 5 miles out from the River I returned back to Nauvoo and stood my guard at Presidents Youngs until he crossed the River, on the 10th, 1was at the front of the Temple when it took fire and assisted in extinguishing it.On the 12th I joined the Camp on Sugar Creek with my Family, and traveled with them through mud rain and Snow, as far as Mount Pesgah, Situated on main Fork Grand River, Iowa. Here it was deemed advisable for a number to remain for a season and raise a crop While the Twelve and others that were well-fitted out to push forward to the Mountains I being among those remaining. Commenced plowing sowing and planting and making preperations to remain over Winter by building ( and and co.) but on the 6th day of July I was called upon by Prest. Young to join the Mormon Battalion, He having returned the day previous to raise men for at service. Consequently on the 7th I started for Sar Peas Point on the Missouri River, where the Mormon Battalion was Mustered into Service of the United States, on the 16th day of July l846 I being elected 1st Lieutenant Co. E under Captain David (Daniel) C. Davis.

After crossing Kaw River on learning of the death of Col. Allen, I was sent back to Council Bluffs with dispatches for the First Presidency, after delivering them, Bro. John D Lee and Howard Egan were called by the President to accompany me back to overtake the Battalion and continue with them as far as Santa Fee. I got permission to return via Pisgah and visit my family which I did, meeting with Bro. Lee and Egan at St. Joseph Missouri on the 3rd of September. After setting up our wagon we proceeded on our journey and overtook the Battalion at the crossing of the Arkansas River about the 20th of September.

Found the Battalion in charge of a Lieut Smith of the Dragoons (one of the last of God's creations) After a tedious forced march from this place we arrived in Santa Fee New Mexico about the first of October. Here we met an order from Genl. Kerney placing us under the command of Capt. P.W. George Cook' of the 1st Dragoons he taking Comd. as Brevt Lieut. Colonel with orders to march us through to California Here our sick were sorted out, and such as could not boast of sound limbs, and under directions Captain Brown of Co. (C) were ordered to fall back to Bents Fort or old Pueblo and take up Winter Quarters then proceed by the Northern Route to Calafornia Thus we were compelled to Witness the diviision of little Battalion, so contrairy to the general feelings of our People.

The remainder some 350 of us were fitted out through the kindness of Lieut. Smith and Dr. Sanderson, with about one fourth of the amount necessary to carry us through to the Paciffic

On the 19th day of October we took up the line of march for Calafornia, and as per. matter of economy were put on half rations. That afternoon (Bros. Lee and Egan having returned to Council Bluffs with money letters for our families previous to our leaving Santa Fee) our march from here to the Pacific is almost indiscribable with hardships and suffering occasioned from want of sufficient supplies being provided previous to our leaving Santafee, suffice it to say that after a toilsome march we arrived at San Diego, Calafornia on the 29th day of January-47--and were subsequently quartered in San Louis Rey Mission were we subsisted over six weeks on beef alone in consequence of there being no Government Supplies in that Country.

On the 19th of March we took up the line of march for Pueblo De Los Angelos, a distance of one hundred and forty miles )leaving our sick with a small guard in charge of Lieut. Omen) theu making an other division in our Camp where we arrived and made our encampment on the North East side of Town. Here we served out the remainder of our enlistment, and were honorably discharged on the 16th day of July 1847.

At a distance of 25OO miles from our place of Enlistment. Which I traveled on foot, and under the most Heart rending circumstances that an Army was ever called to march being placed upon short rations and required to make forced marches through Deserts and mountain regions, that had never been traveled by white man. A number of us amediately commenced fitting up for Home and on the 23rd we organised our Company of 163 men, I being elected Captain. On the 24th we set out on our journey through the Great Joaquin Valley (to Sutters Fort thence via Fort Hall) homeward bound, with pack animals

On arriving at Sutters Fort, on the 26th of August a number of our brethren were compelled to stop through the winter, for want of sufficient outfit to take them through to the states.

On the 27th after purchasing a fresh supply of provisions, and exchanging some of our poorest animals we set out again, crossing the great Seerra Nevada Mountains on the Truckey River Route passing the remains of a camp of Missourians that had perished there during the Fall of 46 subsisting on Human flesh until their number were reduced to some four or five before assistance came to the their relief, which was in accordance with the predictions made by the Prophet Joseph while in Missouri.

On the 9th of September we met Captain James Brown with an Epistle from Prest. Young and Council also letters from our families and friends. From this Epistle we learned of the location made by them in the Great Salt Lake Valley, and the consequent scarcity of provisions. That would probably be during the Winter coming, in consequence of which many of our young men and such as could not go through to the States for want of an outfit returned back to Calafornia to work over Winter.

On the morning of the 8th we parted with those returning to Calafornia, and proceeded on our way to great Salt Lake Valley (Via Fort Hall) Where we arrived on the 16th of October here we met with many our brethren that we had associated with in troublesome times in Nauvoo, and other places also the portion of the Mormon Battalion that had returned from Santafee to Pueblo and Wintered they having been met by General Kerney and discharged previous to their arrival in great Salt Lake Valley.

All were busily engaged in building a Fort, and preparing for winter Spending one day here to exchange some of our animals and refit, we set out for the Missouri River on the l8th in company with some 30 others.

On arriving at the head of Echo Canyon, a heavy snow fell upon us, and from this time on it continued to storm most of the time during the entire trip. On arriving at the head of Grand Island on the Platt, our stock of provisions having failed several days previous, and not being successful in killing buffalo, for want of fresh horses, we were compelled to resort to our animals for subsistance. A jackass of D.P. Raineys having given out during the day, was driven into Camp and butchered at night to feed a number of Uncle Sams Worn out Mormon Soldiers who fared sumptiously by roasting and eating until I were satisfied and retired to their rest.

The remainder of the journey was performed on mule meal without salt or any other useless ingredients cooked after the most approved stile, and served up to suit the taste of the most refined and delicate Traveling through snow and storms we arrived at Winter Quarters on the Missouri River on the 17th day of December 1847. Here I found my wife Family in good health though in rather adverse circumstances. I shortly removed my Family to Brighams Farm about 20 miles up the River where I spent the remainder of the Winter.

In the spring of 1848 not being able to remove my Family to G.S.L. Valley. I recrossed the Missouri and took me a farm, apposite the mouth of Platt River and raised a crop. Working in St. Joseph Mo. during the Winter for an outfit.

The spring of 49 still found me unable to move West, consequently I removed to St. Joseph where through labor and economy I succeeded in securing wagons and teams sufficient to remove my Family.

On the 18th day of February 1850 Amanda Lucinda our 4th daughter was born. About the 1st of May, I loaded up and started for the valleies, upon arriving at the Bluffs I was organised with a company and elected Capt. of a hundred. Bros. Richard Sessions and Bennett Captains of Fifties.

During our Journey Westward nothing out of the ordinary rotene of camp life transpired excepting the first few Weeks we were infested with the Cholerea, which occasioned several deaths.

Arriving in G.S. L. Valley september 23rd I received a hearty welcome by Prest. Young, who requested me to go South and locate on Peteetneet Creek in the south end of Utah Valley.

I immediately started for this place, stopping a few days at Provo at my Bro Wm Paces, and arrived on Peteetneet Creek Oct. 20, l850 with my Family, accompanied by Bros. A.J. Steward, J. C. Searle and Families.

Early in the year 51. our numbers were considerably increased by emigrants from G.S.L. City and other places, and in March we had a visit from Prest. Young and Suit when we were organised into a Branch of the Church. I was chosen President, and Benjamin Cross Bishop, after which President Young named the place Payson.

During the remander of the Season nothing of importance transpired excepting the ordinary rotine of trials, confusions, and difficuties attending the building up of a new settlement with all classes of men to do it with, including all their peculairaties, and notions of right and wrong.

On the 2nd of Jan l852, I had Margaret Hewit sealed to me by. President Young in G.S. Lake City, the ensuing I worked at farming, building fences and c.

At a conference held in G>S.L.C. on 28th August, I was called to take a mission to England, in connexion with a number of others, consequently on the 9th day of September I bid adieu to my family in Payson and started to fulfill this appointment.

Arriving in England I was appointed in the Bedford Conference.

On the 25th of December 1852 my first son by Margaret Hewit was born, James Wilkerson

After spending about three years in that Land I was released to go Home.

In Jan. l855 and after a tedious trip of several months I arrived in Payson Utah, on the 7th of November 1855 finding my family again enjoying good health, which was a source of great consolation to me, after an absence of three years and about 3 months

On the 4th of December following, I had Ann Webb sealed to me by Prest. Young at Payson while we were enroute to Felmore City--The ensuing spring I recommenced farming at Payson, nothing worthy of notice transpiring.

On the 13th of August 1856, Willard my second Son per Margaret was born.

And on the 28th of October 1856 Emma Ann my first daughter by Ann Webb was born.

During the following Winter I participated in the Reformation, then prevalent among our People, though not to the extent of wild enthusiasm that some manifested. The following Summer continued to farm until the troubles commenced with the United States, When I was detailed as a Captain to explore the Country East of Payson for place of Security, for a safe retreat provided it should prove necessary to flee to the Mountains, this I continued until late in the Winter.

On the 8th of February 1858, Wi1ford my third son by Margaret was born, And on the 16th of April 58 Orlando my first Son by Ann Webb was born.

During this season continued to farm at Payson In March 59 I was called as a Grand Juror to Provo in the famous Cradlebaugh Court and after being harangued there for near a month was discharged and returned to my own business at home.

On the 27th of February 1860 Margaret Lenora my second daughter by Ann Webb was born.

This season I located part of my Family on the head of Spring Creek about 2 1/2 miles south of Payson and commenced opening a new farm. During this year 1861 I rented my farm at Payson and continued my operations at Spring Creek July 7th 1861 Naomi Eugenia my first daughter by Margaret was born at Spring Creek the ensuing September I sold my Payson farm to William Whiteman receiveing payment in young stock to amt. Of about dollars.

In October I was called to remove south to the cotton Country with my family and commenced the cultivation of Cotton, Rice, grapes, and fruits and c.

And on the 2Oth of Nov. 1861, I started on this mission with my wife Lucinda (her youngest child Amanda, and James Wilkerson Margarets oldest son) accompanied by my Bro. Wm Pace and part of his family.

After some two Weeks travel we arrived at Harmony Washington County, and per advice of Prest. Erastus Snow located ourselves upon Ash Creek near old Harmony.

After preparing a shelter for the folks I returned to Payson for the remainder of my Family, arriving Dec. 31st 1861.

(Following is in different handwriting) finishing out this record of James Pace

My father spent the next Twenty years in New Harmony and Washington, farming and home building.

In November 1882 he moved his wife, Ann Webb, and family to southern Arizona, settleing on the Gila River. He had been disirous of returning to this country, having crossed it while in the Mormon Battalion. He engaged in farming and home building in this new country for the next five years. He died Apri1 6th l888 at his house in Thatcher, Arizona, and was buried in the Thatcher cemetery

Signed:Mary Adelia Pace Tyler

view all 33

James Edward Pace, Jr's Timeline

June 15, 1811
Double Springs, Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States
June 10, 1812
June 10, 1812
February 9, 1832
Age 20
Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States
February 20, 1834
Age 22
Shelby, Shlb., Illinois, USA
October 20, 1835
Age 24
Shelby, IL, USA
December 28, 1837
Age 26
Shelbyville, Shelby, Illinois, USA
April 15, 1840
Age 28
Shelbyville, Shelby, IL, USA
September 14, 1842
Age 31
Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA