James Tallman, M.D.
|Birthplace:||Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations|
|Death:||Died in Portsmouth, Newport County, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations|
Son of Peter Tallman and Joan Tallman
|Managed by:||Erin Spiceland|
Matching family tree profiles for James Tallman, M.D.
About James Tallman, M.D.
- ' Historical and genealogical miscellany; data relating to the settlement and settlers of New York and New Jersey (1903) Vol. V
- The Tallmans of New Jersey are represented by several branches of the name having a common ancestor in Peter Tallman, I,who settled in Newport and Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he died in 1708. Concerning him and his immediate issue, F. O. Austin supplies the following data: .....
- 1708. The inventory of his estate was presented by his son 'James Tallman'.
- 1709, May 3. Administration having been given to Jonathan Tallman, he took acquittances, at this date, from his brothers and sisters, William Wilbur, Israel Shaw, Jonathan Tallman, 'James Tallman', Benjamin Tallman, Mary Pearce, Susanna Beckett, Peter Tallman, Isaac Lawton, William Potter, John Tallman, Joseph Tallman and Samuel Tallman.
- Peter Tallman, Sr., married, first, Ann ___ ; second, 1665, Joan Briggs, who died about 1685; third, about 1686, Esther ___ who died before 1708. Issue
- 2 Mary Tallman married John Pearce
- 3 Elizabeth Tallman married Isaac Lawton
- 4 Peter Tallman born Mch. 22, 1658, (son by first wife), a physician, married Anne Walstone.
- 5 Anne Tallman married Stephen Brayton
- 6 Joseph Tallman
- 7 Susanna Tallman married Mr. Beckett
- 8 Daughter married William Wilbur
- 9 Jonathan Tallman married Sarah ___ .
- ' 10 James Tallman, ancestor of the Shrewsbury, New Jersey, family.
- 11 Daughter married William Potter
- 12 John Tallman married Mary ___ ; settled at Flushing, Long Island; ancestor of the Burlington County, New Jersey, family.
- 13 Daughter married Israel Shaw
- 14 Benjamin Tallman (son by second wife).
- 15 Samuel Tallman (son by third wife).
- Concerning these children Austin contributes considerable information and mentions ninety-two of their children. But we are only interested in following 'James Tallman, 10', and John Tallman, 12, and their progeny.
- Peter Tallman
- M, b. 20 February 1623, d. 1708
- Peter Tallman was born on 20 February 1623 at Hamburg, Germany. He married Ann Hill, daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann (?), on 2 January 1649 at Christ Church, Barbados. Peter Tallman immigrated in 1649; To Barbados, 1647, then from Barbados to Portsmouth, Rhode Island about 1649, with first wife Ann Hill. He and Ann Hill were divorced in 1665; Adultery, complaint that she had a child by another man. Peter Tallman married Joan Briggs, daughter of Samuel Briggs, on 24 July 1665 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI. Peter Tallman married Esther (?) circa 1686 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI. Note: Deposition of Joseph Sheffield regarding a declaration made by Peter Tallman of Portsmouth on 13 March, 1702/3:
- "Joseph Sheffield, one of Her Majesty's Assistants, testified that being in the house of Peter Tallman in Portsmouth March 13, 1702/3, Peter declared:
- 'I am now 80 years of age and in the year 1647 I came from Hambrough to the Island of Barbados, and within two years after my arrival I married with Ann Hill the daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann his wife,' and he was married in Christ Church in said Island, and after seven or eight months after his marriage the said Tallman moved from the Island of Barbados to Rhode Island bringing with him his wife and wife's brother called Robert Hill, as likewise his wife's mother ... and further said Tallman declared to me the said deponent that the Peter Tallman whose habitation is now at Guildford in the County of New Haven in Connecticut is eldest lawfull son of said Peter Tallman." Peter Tallman died in 1708 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI.
- Children of Peter Tallman and Ann Hill
- Mary Tallman b. c 1651, d. 1720
- Elizabeth Tallman+ b. c 1654, d. 20 May 1701
- Ann Tallman+ b. c 1656, d. 1732
- Peter Tallman+ b. 22 Mar 1658, d. 6 Jul 1726
- Joseph Tallman b. c 1660, d. a 3 May 1709
- Susannah Tallman b. c 1662
- Sarah Tallman b. 1664, d. 1732
- Children of Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs
- Jonathan Tallman b. 1666, d. 1782
- Mercy Ruth Tallman b. 1666
- ' James Tallman+ b. c 1668, d. 1724
- John Tallman b. 1672, d. bt 1707 - 1709
- Ruth Tallman b. 1674
- Peter Tallman b. c 1676
- Nathaniel Tallman b. 1680
- Benjamin Tallman+ b. 28 Jun 1684, d. 20 May 1759
- Mary Tallman b. c 1686
- Children of Peter Tallman and Esther (?)
- Samuel Tallman b. 14 Jan 1687/88
- Joseph Tallman b. 1691
- Peter Tallman (1623 - 1708) was originally from Hamburg, Germany. He settled first about 1647 at Barbados, where he married his first wife Ann Hill, then in 1649 relocated to Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Peter and Ann were divorced in 1665 based on alleged infidelity of Ann, producing a child by another man. Peter Tallman then married Joan Briggs in July, 1665. Our descent is from Peter and Joan's son Benjamin (1684 - 1759) and his wife Patience Durfee, via their son William, born in Rhode Island, who married Anne Lincoln and lived at Reading in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Of eleven children born to William and Anne Lincoln Tallman, only Benjamin lived to adulthood, to marry and have children of his own. Ben Tallman married Dinah Boone, daughter of Benjamin and Susannah (Liken) Boone in 1764 in Berks County.
- Photos of:
- The Tallman cemetery, on top of a hill in rural Pickaway County, Ohio
- headstone for Benjamin and Dinah (Boone) Tallman
- Berne, NY - Family Files
- Father: Peter Tallman Mother: Maria Von Peene
- Individual: Peter Tallman Born: ABT 1623 Married: Died: 1708
- Spouse: Joan Briggs Born: Died: 24 JUL 1685
- Other Spouses: Ann Hill
- Jonathan Tallman Born: ABT 1666 Died: JUL 1762
- 'James Tallman Born: ABT 1668 Died: 1724
- Ann Tallman Born: ABT 1670 Died: 1732
- Note1: an ante nuptial agreement was made between Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs. He agreed to give her land he had bought from Richard Morris, Daniel Wilcox and William Wilbur and also a house, all to be hers and her heirs born of this marriage . He gave her beside a bed and half the household goods, but if she die without issue the estate given her was to revert to Peter Tallman's eldest son, viz. Peter Jr., and if the latter die without issue then to Peter Tallman Sr.'s eldes t daughter viz Mary and her heirs. To Joan, absolutely as a "free gift of donation" he gave 3 good cows and a good breeding mare.
Born: 1668 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Father: Peter Tallman b. 20 FEB 1622/3; d. 1 APR 1708 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Mother: Joanna Briggs b. ABT 1635; d. 1685 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Marriage (1) 18 MAR 1689/90 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Spouse: Mary DEVOL, b. 1670 Newport, Newport, RI.; d. ABT 1700 Portsmouth, Newport, RI. daughter of Joseph DEVOL, and Mary BRAYTON
Children, all born in Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island:
- John P. Tallman, b: 19 Sep 1692; marr. 1) Anna Bennett; 2) Sarah Church
- Joseph Tallmanb: 13 Jul 1694; marr. Sarah English
- Elizabeth Tallman, b. 13 JUN 1699
Marriage (2) 14 SEP 1701 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Spouse: Hannah SWAINE, b. 5 JUL 1679 Nantucket, Mass.; d. 9 SEP 1765 Portsmouth, Newport, RI. daughter of John SWAINE and Mary WEARE
Children, all born Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island:
- John Tallman, b: Aft 1701
- Stephen Tallman, b: 20 Jun 1702; d. 24 Aug 1774, Shrewsbury, Monmouth Co, NJ; m. Mary Potter
- Mary Tallman, b: 26 Jun 1704; d. Abt 1764, Portsmouth RI; m. John Freeborn
- Peter Tallman, b. b: 27 Dec 1706; d. Jun 1786, Tiverton, Newport County, RI; m. 1) Sarah Cook; 2) Patience Rogers
- Jemima Tallman, b. 11 Sep 1708; d. Feb 1780 Nantucket, RI; m. 1) Unk; m. 2) David A. Fish
- James Tallman, b. 10 APR 1710; d. 16 Sep 1758, Gloucester County, NJ; m. Keziah Hinchman
- Jeremiah Tallman, b: 25 Sep 1712; d. cir 1764, Portsmouth, RI; m. Ruth [Unknown]
- Silas Tallman, b: 10 Sep 1717; d. Death Aft 1764 Portsmouth, RI; m. Katherine Hefferland
- Joseph Tallman, b. 1 JUN 1720 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.; d. Rhode Island; m. Mary [Unknown]
- Hannah Tallman, b: 14 Sep 1723; d. 15 Aug 1797, Portsmouth or Little Compton, RI; m. 1) Matthew Slocum; m. 2) Antipas Tabor
The Tallman Family- http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ricktallman&id=I95494
James Tallman (1668 - 1723)
James Tallman Born 1668 in Portsmouth,Newport,Rhode Island,USAmap Son of Peter Tallman and Joanna (Briggs) Tallman Brother of Sarah (Tallman) Wilbore, Mary (Tallman) Pearce, Elizabeth (Tallman) Lawton, Ann Tallman, Peter Tallman, Joseph Tallman, Susannah (Tallman) Beckwith, Sarah Tallman, Sarah (Tallman) Wilbore, Mercy Ruth (Tallman) Shaw, Jonathan Tallman, John Tallman, Ruth Tallman, Nathaniel Tallman, Benjamin Tallman, Mary (Tallman) Potter and Samuel Tallman [spouse(s) unknown] [children unknown] Died February 25, 1723 in Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island, USA (Probably)map Profile managers: Jillaine Smith private message [send private message] and Jamie Swindells private message [send private message] Last modified 17 July 2016. 17 July 2016 10:15: Jillaine Smith added an unmerged match of Tallman-3 and Tallman-222 with a comment. [Thank Jillaine for this]
Categories: Unsourced Profiles.
This profile lacks source information. Please add sources that support the facts. Thank you!
James Tallman was born in 1688, son of Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs. He died in 1723.
James Tallman, M.D.'s Timeline
Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
September 19, 1692
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
July 13, 1694
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
June 13, 1699
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
June 30, 1702
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
June 26, 1704
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
December 27, 1706
Portsmouth, Newport County, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations