Jane Allison McFarlane

Is your surname McFarlane?

Research the McFarlane family

Jane Allison McFarlane's Geni Profile

Records for Jane McFarlane

501,531 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Jane Allison McFarlane (McGibbon)

Birthdate: (36)
Birthplace: Patric, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death: November 15, 1866 (36)
Gunnison, Sanpete, Utah, United States (Dyptheria)
Place of Burial: Gunnison, Sanpete, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Walter McGibbon and Agnes McGibbon
Wife of James Henderson and Parlan McFarlane
Mother of Jane Alison Henderson; James Michael Henderson; Mary Black Allred; Parlan McFarlane; Alexander McFarlane and 2 others

Occupation: Housewife
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Jane Allison McFarlane

Year of birth 1830 - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Organized. Greece granted independence from Ottoman Empire. George IV of England dies and is seceeded by his brother William IV. Andrew Jackson President of the United States.

Jane Allison McGibbon was born on 3 Jul 1830 in Patric, Lanarkshire, Scotland to Walter McGibbon and Agnes Allison about three months after the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which greatly shaped her life. Little is known of her early life in Scotland prior to her joining the Church 13 September 1848 during her 18th year. About four years later, she married a fellow Church member, James Henderson, in 1852. In November of 1853, she gave birth to a daughter, Jane Allison Henderson in Knightswood, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. However, little Jane only lived about two years before she died 27 February 1855. Her death came just a little over four months prior to the birth of a son, James, on 6 July 1855 in the same town (This location information needs further research as Knightswood, as far as I can tell, is in Glasgow, Lanarkshire not Dunbartonshire which is an adjoining county).

         She and her husband decided to join the Saints in Utah and taking their infant son traveled to Liverpool, England where on 1 May 1856 the boarded the ship Thornton with other Latter Day Saint and embarked for America.  On 14 Jun 1856, the passengers disembarked in New York City and passed through the Castle Gardens Emigrant Receiving Station during the next few days. On 17 Jun 1856, the Saints boarded a train for Dunkirk, New York passing Harmony, Pennsylvania, a significant site in Church history, on the way.  On 19 Jun at Dunkirk, they boarded a steamboat, The Jersey City, and were ferried across Lake Erie. They transferred to a train in Toledo, Ohio. After some inconvenience, the train arrived in Iowa City, Iowa on 26 June. Iowa City was the end of the rails so preparations had to be made to travel by Handcart the remainder of the way to Salt Lake City.  They were now about half way to their destination as they had travel about 1200 miles from New York City. The Handcarts were provided on 11 Jul and the trek began on the 16th. The trip across Iowa was difficult as the conditions were so different from what they had experienced in Scotland.  They were often harassed by the locals. The temperature in the 90s and the humidity in the 70s caused much stress upon the body as these temperatures were rare in Scotland. The rations were often insufficient and unusual and the communication with the Danish Saints was prone to be misunderstood. They arrived in Florence, Nebraska 12 August 1856 (the end of civilization). Though many of the English Saints stayed in Winter Quarters Jane and her family left into the next 1000 miles of wilderness 17 Aug with the remainder of the James G. Willie Company. They arrived at Fort Laramie, Wyoming 29 Sep and left the following day without any additional supplies, the wagons that had accompanied the company from Florence, and in weather that had turned quite cold. Conditions turned severe, the cattle became exhausted, the weather bitter cold, the rations were reduced and the water ran out.  Finally after fording the Sweetwater River, on 18 October, James, then age 27, died in the evening.    The following day, the Company met an advance party of rescuers and the main party two days later. With her infant son, the now widowed Jane arrived in Salt Lake City 9 November 1856.
         After arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, sometime during the following year, she was visited by a young single Scotsman from her part of Scotland named Parlan McFarlane. Parlan had immigrated to Canada after the death of his family from smallpox and had met missionaries on a boat on the Saint Lawrence River.  He joined the Church and made his way to Utah. He was single and living in Salt Lake City when his church leaders suggested that he visit a young Scottish widow that had arrived in the Valley with the Willie Handcart Company. He followed this counsel. They met, courted, and finally married 12 November 1857, slightly over a year after her arrival in the Valley.
         Parlan was relatively well educated and was a skilled stonecutter.   He and his new family were called to help settle Sanpete County where he became a prominent doctor and public official.  In the next ten years, he and Jane had five children. The first two children, Mary (1858) and Parlan (1860), were born in Fort Ephraim and the last three, Alexander (1862), William (1864), and John (1866), in Fort Gunnison, both in Sanpete County. The third child died at two days old and the fifth child died in infancy as an eight month old. But, the other three children lived to an old age and had their own families.  They lived in Forts in Ephraim and Gunnison as, during this period, Utah was engaged in the Black Hawk War and Chief Walker was very active in Sanpete County.
        They moved to Gunnison with one of the early group of settlers but this would be Jane’s last move.  Jane was noted for her beautiful singing. My mother relates that she had received special training in music while in Scotland.  While still recovering from the birth of her last child, crows gathered outside her window in the Fort and implored her to sing to them to raise their spirits.  She complied and went to her window and sang beautifully to the crowd gathered inside the fort.  While in her weakened condition and from the exposure to a cold Utah November evening, she became ill with pneumonia and died 15 Nov 1866 in Gunnison, Sanpete, Utah, USA.
         Jane was faithful to the Gospel and in 1859 returned with Parlan to Salt Lake City and was sealed in the Endowment house to her first husband, James Henderson. Though only 36 at death and her gravesite is unknown, her memory lingers.  I remember my Grandmother, her son Parlan’s wife, telling her story every time we passed through Gunnison. My Grandmother McFarlane’s husband was only six years old when his mother died and her death made a serious impression upon him for the rest of his life.
       The following accounts concerning the Willie Company provides insight into her experiences in 1856. The first narrative is by a fellow member of the company and the second account is a more generalized description of the Willie ccompany history. Though she is not mentioned in these accounts specifically, she endured the conditions described. We can be thankful for her sacrifice and dedication to the Gospel so that we, her posterity, may enjoy the blessing that we have.
view all 13

Jane Allison McFarlane's Timeline

July 3, 1830
Patric, Lanarkshire, Scotland
September 13, 1848
Age 18
November 22, 1853
Age 23
Knightswood, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
July 6, 1855
Age 25
Knightswood, Dumbartonshire, Scotland
August 17, 1858
Age 28
Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah, United States
June 28, 1860
Age 29
Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States
November 3, 1862
Age 32
Gunnison, Sanpete, Utah, United States
February 6, 1864
Age 33
Gunnison, Sanpete, Utah, United States