About Jean Pierre de Comeau, IV
The earliest researched records of the COMEAU name are of Guy de COMEAU, born about 1450 in Pouilly-en-Auxois, Burgundy (Cote d'Or), France. No mention is made of the name of his wife. His great-great-grandson, Pierre COMEAU, was founder of the Acadian branch of the de COMEAU family. Guy de COMEAU, Squire and Lord de Creancey, founded a chapel in the parish church of Pouilly-en-Auxois in 1495 according to the title of foundation and from the "Lettres Patents" of King Charles VIII. He is mentioned as "the nobleman, Guy de Comeau." "...de Comeau, originally from Pouilly-en-Auxois, Cote d'Or" (near Dijon in Burgundy), established in Nivernais, in Bourbonnais, and a branch established in America." "This noble family bears the surname of Creancey from a Seigniory it possesses." Guy de COMEAU was granted Arms which are described as "D'azur, a la fasce d'or, accompagnees de trois etoiles de meme, a six rais cometees d'argent."
Jean de COMEAU IV, son of Jean II and Catherine COLARD, Ecuyer, Lord de Chassenay (or Chastenay), married in 1597 to Marguerite OCQUIDEM, daughter of Benigne, Lord de la Choselle. Their children were Pierre; Antoine; Benigne; Pierre II; Nicolas; Anne; and Marguerite.