Jereboam O. Beauchamp

Is your surname Beauchamp?

Research the Beauchamp family

Jereboam O. Beauchamp's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Jereboam Orville Beauchamp

Birthplace: area now Simpson County, KY, USA
Death: Died in Frankfort, KY, USA
Cause of death: execution by hanging for the murder of Solomon P. Sharp
Place of Burial: Bloomfield, Nelson, Kentucky, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of Thomas Beauchamp and Sally Beauchamp
Husband of Anna Cooke

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Jereboam O. Beauchamp

Jereboam Orville Beauchamp ( /dʒɛrəˈboʊ.əm ˈɔrvɪl ˈbiːtʃəm/; September 6, 1802 – July 7, 1826) was an American lawyer who murdered the Kentucky legislator Solomon P. Sharp, an event known as the Beauchamp–Sharp Tragedy. In 1821, Sharp was accused of fathering the illegitimate stillborn child of a woman named Anna Cooke. Sharp denied paternity of the child, and public opinion favored him. In 1824, Beauchamp married Cooke. During Sharp's 1825 campaign for a seat in the Kentucky House of Representatives, Cooke's alleged illegitimate child was raised as an issue. His political opponents publicized his alleged claim of denying paternity because the child was mulatto, fathered by a slave. Whether Sharp said this has never been determined with certainty; believing it so, Beauchamp swore to avenge his wife's honor. In the early morning of November 7, 1825, Beauchamp tricked Sharp into answering the door at home in Frankfort and fatally stabbed him.

Beauchamp was convicted of the murder and sentenced to hang. The morning of the execution, he and his wife attempted a double suicide by stabbing themselves with a knife she had smuggled into prison. She was successful; he was not. Beauchamp was rushed to the gallows before he could bleed to death and was hanged on July 7, 1826. The bodies of the couple Jereboam and Anna Beauchamp were arranged in an embrace and buried in a single coffin, as they requested. The Beauchamp–Sharp Tragedy inspired fictional works such as Edgar Allan Poe's unfinished Politian and Robert Penn Warren's World Enough and Time.

Early life

Jereboam Beauchamp was born September 6, 1802 in the area that is now Simpson County, Kentucky. He was the second son of Thomas and Sally (Smithers) Beauchamp. Both parents were devout Christians. He was named after a paternal uncle, Jereboam O. Beauchamp, a state senator from Washington County, Kentucky.

Beauchamp was educated at Dr. Benjamin Thurston's academy in Barren County, Kentucky until the age of sixteen. Recognizing that his father was not able to sufficiently provide for the family, Beauchamp tried to pay for his education by finding employment as a shopkeeper. While this generated funds for his education, he did not have enough time to pursue his studies. Recommended by Thurston, Beauchamp became preceptor of a school. After saving some money, he returned to Thurston's school as a student, and was later employed by the school as an usher.

By age eighteen, Beauchamp had finished his preparatory studies. After observing the lawyers practicing in Glasgow and Bowling Green, he decided to pursue a career in the legal profession.

He particularly admired Solomon Sharp, a young lawyer in his 30s with whom he hoped to study.[4] In 1820, Beauchamp became disenchanted with Sharp when rumors surfaced that he had fathered an illegitimate child with a woman named Anna Cooke. Sharp denied paternity of the child, which was stillborn.

Courtship of Anna Cooke

Beauchamp left Bowling Green and lived at his father's estate in Simpson County, where he sought to recover from an illness. He learned that Cooke had become a recluse nearby at her mother's estate after her public disgrace. Having heard of the woman's beauty and accomplishments from a mutual friend, he decided to meet Cooke. At first, she rejected all attention, but gradually received Beauchamp under his guise of borrowing books from her library. The two eventually became friends, and in 1821, began courting. Beauchamp was eighteen years old; Cooke was at least thirty-four.

When he proposed marriage that year, Cooke told Beauchamp she would marry him on the condition that he kill Sharp. Beauchamp consented. Against Cooke's advice, Beauchamp traveled immediately to Frankfort, where Sharp had recently been appointed attorney general by the governor.


According to Beauchamp's account, he found Sharp and challenged him to a duel, but Sharp refused because he was not armed. Wielding a knife, Beauchamp took out a second knife and offered it to Sharp, who again declined the challenge. When Beauchamp challenged him a third time, Sharp tried to flee, but Beauchamp caught him by the collar. Sharp fell to his knees and begged Beauchamp to spare his life. Beauchamp kicked him, cursed him for a coward, and threatened to horsewhip him until he agreed to a duel. The next day, Beauchamp looked for Sharp in the streets of Frankfort, but was told he had left for Bowling Green. He went to Bowling Green, only to learn that Sharp was not there. Finally he returned to the home of Anna Cooke.

Following Beauchamp's failed attempt, Cooke decided to lure Sharp to her house and kill him herself. Beauchamp wanted to take action to defend her honor, but she would not be swayed from her purposed and he began teaching her to use a gun. Learning that Sharp was in Bowling Green, Cooke sent him a letter condemning Beauchamp's attempt on his life and asking to see him again. Sharp suspected a trap, but responded that he would meet her at the planned time. Hoping to kill Sharp before the meeting, Beauchamp traveled to Bowling Green, but found his target had already left for Frankfort. He had eluded the trap. Beauchamp decided to finish his legal studies in Bowling Green and wait for Sharp to return there.

Beauchamp was admitted to the bar in April 1823. Although he had not killed Sharp, he and Anna Cooke married in June 1824. Still determined to defend the honor of his wife, Beauchamp devised a ruse to lure Sharp to Bowling Green. He wrote letters to Sharp under various pseudonyms, each asking for his help in some sort of legal matter, and sent each from a different post office. When Sharp failed to respond, Beauchamp decided to go to Frankfort and confront him.

Murder of Solomon Sharp

In Frankfort in 1825, Sharp was in the middle of a bitter political battle known as the Old Court-New Court controversy. He identified with the New Court, or Relief party, which promoted a legislative agenda favorable to debtors. In opposition was the Old Court, or Anti-Relief party, which worked to secure the rights of creditors to collect debts. Sharp had served as the state's attorney general under New Court governors John Adair, whose term lasted until August 1824, and Joseph Desha, who succeeded him in office. The New Court party's power was beginning to wane, however.

In 1825, Sharp resigned to run for a seat in the Kentucky House of Representatives. During the campaign, opponents raised the issue of his alleged seduction of Anna Cooke. Old Court partisan John Upshaw Waring had handbills distributed that alleged that Sharp had denied paternity of Cooke's child because it was a mulatto and likely fathered by a Cooke family slave. The story did not affect the election, which Sharp won, defeating John J. Crittenden. Whether Sharp had made the claim is uncertain, but Beauchamp believed he had. He began to prepare to murder him and flee to Missouri. He planned to commit the murder in the early morning of November 7, 1825, when the new legislature would convene its session, in the hopes that suspicion would be cast on Sharp's political enemies. Three weeks prior to that date, Beauchamp sold his property, telling his friends that he was planning to move to Missouri. He hired laborers to help load his wagons two days before the planned murder.

Beauchamp's plan to move was complicated by a warrant sworn out against him by Ruth Reed. Reed claimed that Beauchamp was the father of her illegitimate child, born on June 10, 1824. Although the warrant was sworn out October 25, 1825, Beauchamp had ignored it on advice of a friend who said it was harassment. Later, Beauchamp claimed that he had arranged for the warrant to give him a reason to be in Frankfort and present for the murder. The historian Fred Johnson says that the incorporation of the warrant into Beauchamp's story was likely done after the fact as a means of damage control – especially considering that fathering an illegitimate child was the reason for his planned murder of Sharp.

Preparing to travel, Beauchamp packed a change of clothes, a black mask, and a knife with poison on the tip, to be used as the murder weapon. Finding all the inns filled when he arrived at Frankfort, he took lodging at the residence of Joel Scott, warden of the state penitentiary. Between nine and ten o'clock that evening, Beauchamp went to Sharp's home. Dressed in a disguise, he carried his usual clothes and buried them along the bank of the Kentucky River for retrieval following the murder. Discovering that Sharp was not home, Beauchamp sought him in the city and found him at a local tavern. He returned to Sharp's house to wait for him, seeing him arrive about midnight.

At two o'clock in the morning, Beauchamp thought the household was quiet and approached the door. In his Confession, he described the murder of Sharp:

"I put on my mask, drew my dagger and proceeded to the door; I knocked three times loud and quick, Colonel Sharp said; "Who's there" - "Covington," I replied. Quickly Sharp's foot was heard upon the floor. I saw under the door as he approached without a light. I drew my mask over my face and immediately Colonel Sharp opened the door. I advanced into the room and with my left hand I grasped his right wrist. The violence of the grasp made him spring back and trying to disengage his wrist. He said, "What Covington is this." I replied John A. Covington. "I don't know you," said Colonel Sharp, I know John W. Covington." Mrs. Sharp appeared at the partition door and then disappeared, seeing her disappear I said in a persuasive tone of voice, "Come to the light Colonel and you will know me," and pulling him by the arm he came readily to the door and still holding his wrist with my left hand I stripped my hat and handkerchief from over my forehead and looked into Sharp's face. He knew me the more readily I imagine, by my long, bush, curly suit of hair. He sprang back and exclaimed in a tone of horror and despair, "Great God it is him," and as he said that he fell on his knees. I let go of his wrist and grasped him by the throat dashing him against the facing of the door and muttered in his face, "die you villain." As I said that I plunged the dagger to his heart.

—Jereboam Beauchamp, Confession of Jereboam O. Beauchamp, pp. 39–41

Sharp died within moments. Fleeing the scene, Beauchamp went to the river to retrieve his clothes, where he changed and sank his disguise in the river with a stone. He returned to the house of Joel Scott.

When the Scott family awoke the next morning, Beauchamp emerged from his quarters. He feigned surprise when told of the murder and was apparently believed at the time. After being told there were no suspects yet, he called for his horse and began his return trip to Bowling Green. After the four-day journey, he told his wife that Sharp was dead. The next morning, a posse from Frankfort arrived and told Beauchamp that he was under suspicion for the murder. He agreed to return with the men to Frankfort and face the charge.

Trial for murder

Beauchamp arrived in Frankfort on November 15, 1825. New Court partisans talked of Sharp's murder as the work of the Old Court party, just as Beauchamp had hoped. One suspect was Waring, who had printed the handbills critical of Sharp. Known as a violent man, he had both political and personal motivation for the crime. He was cleared of suspicion when investigators learned that, at the time of the murder, Waring was in Fayette County recovering from unrelated injuries.

Suspicion moved to Beauchamp, as he was loyal to the Old Court Party, and was known to hate Sharp for his political principles. People knew of Sharp's earlier alleged involvement with Anna Cooke before her marriage to Beauchamp. In addition, Beauchamp was placed in Frankfort the night of the killing, and his host, Joel Scott, said that he had heard Beauchamp leave in the night. After presenting preliminary testimony, Commonwealth's Attorney Charles Bibb asked for additional time to assemble more witnesses. Beauchamp assented to the request. A second delay pushed the hearings back to mid-December.

The dagger taken from Beauchamp at his arrest did not match the wound on Sharp's body. (In his Confession, Beauchamp claimed to have buried the murder weapon by the bank of the river near where the murder took place. That knife was never found.) Beauchamp's shoe did not match a track found outside Sharp's house the morning of the murder. The posse lost a handkerchief found at the scene of the crime and believed to belong to the murderer. (Beauchamp later claimed to have stolen and burned it after the posse had gone to sleep one night.)

Several witnesses testified against him. Eliza Sharp testified that the voice of the killer was distinct. A test was devised allowing Ms. Sharp to hear Beauchamp's voice; she immediately identified it as that of the killer. (Beauchamp claimed he had disguised his voice on the night of the murder and thought Ms. Sharp would not recognize it.) Patrick H. Darby, an Old Court partisan, claimed that in 1824, he had a chance encounter with the man he now knew as Beauchamp. Darby said the man – a stranger to him at the time – had asked for Darby's help in prosecuting an unspecified claim against Sharp. The man then identified himself as the husband of Anna Cooke and said he intended to kill Sharp. Based on the circumstantial evidence, Beauchamp was held for trial at the next term of the circuit court in March 1826.

Beauchamp's uncle Jereboam assembled a legal team for his nephew that included former U.S. Senator John Pope. The grand jury convened in March and returned an indictment against Beauchamp for Sharp's murder. Giving Beauchamp the time he requested to gather witnesses, the court scheduled a special session in May specifically for Beauchamp's trial.

Beauchamp's trial began May 8, 1826. After a change of venue was denied, Beauchamp pled innocent to the charge against him. A jury was empaneled, and testimony began May 10. Eliza Sharp detailed the events of the night of the murder and reiterated that Beauchamp's voice was that of the murderer. John Lowe, a magistrate of Simpson County, testified that he had heard Beauchamp threaten to kill Sharp, and said that on Beauchamp's return from Frankfort, he saw him waving a red flag and heard him tell his wife that he had "gained the victory." Patrick Darby repeated his testimony of the 1824 meeting between him and Beauchamp. Darby said that Beauchamp had told him that Sharp offered him one thousand dollars, a slave girl, and 200 acres (0.81 km2) of land if he and his wife Anna would leave him (Sharp) alone. As Sharp had apparently reneged on the promise, Beauchamp told Darby he was going to kill the man. Other witnesses testified that Beauchamp habitually referred to Sharp's friend, John W. Covington as "John A. Covington", the name used by the murderer to gain entry to Sharp's house.

Testimony in the trial concluded on May 15, 1826; summations concluded four days later. Despite the lack of physical evidence, the jury deliberated only an hour before convicting Beauchamp of Sharp's murder. He was sentenced to death by hanging on June 26 of that year. Beauchamp requested a stay of execution to write a justification for his actions. The stay was granted, and the execution was rescheduled for July 7, 1826. Though Anna Beauchamp was questioned, a charge against her for being an accessory to the crime was dismissed.

Execution by hanging

While imprisoned and awaiting execution, Beauchamp wrote a confession. He accused Patrick Darby of perjury with regard to the alleged 1824 meeting between Darby and Beauchamp. Many believed Beauchamp's accusation was meant to curry favor with New Court governor Joseph Desha – who considered Darby a political enemy – and to secure a pardon from him. When he finished the confession in mid-June 1826, and Beauchamp's uncle, Senator Beauchamp, took it to the state printer for immediate publication. An Old Court supporter, the printer refused to publish it.

Anna Beauchamp joined her husband in his cell. During their incarceration, they tried to bribe a guard into allowing them to escape. When that failed, they tried to pass a letter to Senator Beauchamp asking him for help in an escape, an attempt which likewise failed. Both the senator and the younger Beauchamp asked for a pardon from Governor Desha, but to no avail. Beauchamp's final request to Desha for a stay of execution was rejected July 5, 1826. With the last hope exhausted, the couple attempted a double suicide by drinking a vial of laudanum which Anna had smuggled into the cell. Both survived the attempt. The following morning, Jereboam and Anna were put on suicide watch and threatened with separation.

The night before the execution, Anna took a second dose of laudanum but was unable to keep it down. On July 7, 1826, the morning of the scheduled execution, Anna asked the guard to give her privacy to dress. Once the guard left, Anna revealed she had smuggled in, and she and her husband stabbed themselves. Anna was taken to a nearby house to be treated by doctors.

Too weak to stand or walk, Beauchamp was loaded onto a cart to be conveyed to the gallows. He begged to see Anna, but the guards told him she was not seriously injured. The guards finally allowed him to see his wife. When they got to her, Beauchamp was angered that they had underplayed her critical condition. He stayed with her until he could no longer feel her pulse, then the guards took him to the gallows to be hanged before he died of his stab wounds.

Beauchamp asked to see Patrick Darby, who was among the assembled spectators. Beauchamp smiled and offered his hand, but Darby declined the gesture. Beauchamp publicly denied that Darby had any involvement with Sharp's murder, but accused him of having lied about the 1824 meeting. Darby denied the death march accusation and tried to get Beauchamp to retract it, but the prisoner moved on to the gallows.

Two men supported Beauchamp as the noose was put around his neck. He asked for a drink of water, and the band to play "Bonaparte's Retreat from Moscow". At his signal, the cart moved out from under him, and he died after a brief struggle. His father requested his body. Following Beauchamp's earlier instructions, he had the bodies of Jereboam and Anna arranged in an embrace and buried them in the same coffin. A poem written by Anna was etched on their double tombstone.

Senator Beauchamp eventually found a publisher for his nephew's Confession. The first printing ran on August 11, 1826. Sharp's brother, Dr. Leander Sharp, attempted to counter Beauchamp's Confession with Vindication of the Character of the late Col. Solomon P. Sharp, which he wrote in 1827. In this book, Dr. Sharp claimed to have seen a "first version" of the confession in which Beauchamp implicated Darby. Darby threatened to sue Dr. Sharp if he published Vindication, and John Waring threatened to kill him if he did so. Consequently, the manuscript was never published, but was found years later during a remodel of Sharp's house.

In popular culture

Edgar Allan Poe's Politian was based on the events above.
Robert Penn Warren's World Enough and Time was also inspired by them.
view all

Jereboam O. Beauchamp's Timeline

September 6, 1802
area now Simpson County, KY, USA
July 7, 1826
Age 23
Frankfort, KY, USA
Bloomfield, Nelson, Kentucky, USA