Matching family tree profiles for Jeremiah Olmsted
About Jeremiah Olmsted
Contributions are welcome, but contributions with documented sources are respected.
Jeremiah Olmstead was the oldest son of Jabez. He took up land adjoining his father's farm, probably in 1729 or 30. The farm was confirmed to him by action of the General Court in 1733. The rest of the north-end addition was divided among the "Elbow" Proprietors by drawings held from time to time (the so called "Elbow" formed the bend of the Ware and Quaboag rivers which there unite to form the Chicopee). Many of the drawings were sold, as the Proprietors already had their homes in the southern part of the plantation. Jeremiah Olmstead sold his farm of 100 acres to Noah Colton in 1738.
About the time of Jabez’s death, Jeremiah, and his son, Jabez, along with others of his family, removed from Ware, first probably to West Stockbridge, and later removed even further west in Massachusetts, to the disputed land called "The Gore."
The children of Jedediah and Elizabeth were:
1. John was named as oldest son in father’s administrative papers. He died after 1844. He married Elizabeth Allen and had 5 daughters and one son. One daughter was named Mehitable. He was enumerated in the 1800 Hampton, NY census. There were land transactions by him in Washington County, NY and in Boyle/Pittsford, Monroe County, NY.
2. Israel married Elizabeth Haskins on 16 June 1791. His 1793 petition for land in Ontario states that he was from Hampton, NY. He was granted land in Wolford Twp. and was twice burned out by the Indians. He drowned in the River Rideau, Ontario on 7 February 1802. His children were Abial, Ephraim, Lurana, Mehitable and Thankful (twins). His widow Elizabeth married Solomon Edmunds 5 July 1803.
3. Moses was born 7 January 1774 and died 25 August 1852 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. He married 15 April 1818 Almira Seekins. They were in Cattaraugus County NY in the 1820 and 1830 census, Lapeer County MI by 1836, Nauvoo, IL in 1844 and Council Bluffs, IA in 1850. Their children were Hannah, David, Hiram, Matilda, John, Sarah Ann, Lucinda, Moses, Benjamin, Nelson Peter, Alma and Almira (twins). Both his widow and his daughter Lucinda married Ira Sterns Hatch 7 December 1852. It was a temple marriage in name only.
4. Jedediah Jr. was born in 1777 and died after the 1830 census. He married Olive who was probably the daughter of Samuel Waterhouse and lived in Wolford and Burritt’s Rapids, Ontario from 1801-05. The children of his brother Israel lived in Jedediah’s household for a time after their mother’s remarriage. Jedediah and Olive’s children were Samuel, Henry, William and Barnwell. Jedediah returned to the U.S. His first wife died and he then married Mary Bullard and settled in Bartholomew County, IN. Their children were John, Alonzo, George Washington, Permelia Ann, Justus, Malinda, Amanda, and John Quincy Adams. Jedediah was a cooper.
5. Polly died before 1844.
6. Betsey died before 1844.
7. Abiathar witnessed the early land records of his brothers in Monroe County, NY 1805-1815. There are also land records of his own and he is named on a Pittsford Village plat map with his brothers John and Benjamin in 1806. So far no further records have been found, but I have the Bible records of the William Olmstead/Mary Ann Round family in Vermillion County, IN that has a death entry for an Abiatha Olmstead 14 February 1849. William and Mary Ann were the parents of Jedediah Olmstead (wife Mariah Corman). I strongly suspect that this is the family of the missing Abiathar.
8. Benjamin J. was born 10 July 1783 in Vermont. He died 22 July 1871 in Orleans, MI. He married Elizabeth Rose who may have been his second wife. His children were Israel H.; Julia; Franklin; Irvin (one of twin sons born 14 July 1825 in Gates, Monroe County); and Benjamin J. He settled in Gates in 1804 and had a falling out with his brothers when his father died in 1809. He moved to Ypsilanti, MI in the 1820’s.
9. Mehitable was a possible daughter
2. JEREMIAH2 OLMSTEAD (JABEZ1) was born January 06, 1714/15. He married ELIZABETH LITTON.
Children of JEREMIAH OLMSTEAD and ELIZABETH LITTON are: 3. i. Jabez3 Olmstead, b. July 29, 1735, Brookfield, Worcester, Massachussetts; d. 1777, Valley Forge, Chester, Pennsylvania.
ii. Aaron Olmstead, b. February 11, 1736/37. iii. Jedediah Olmstead, b. February 13, 1738/39. iv. Elizabeth Olmstead, b. July 31, 1741. v. Martha Olmstead, b. December 17, 1743. vi. Gideon Olmstead, b. July 17, 1747. vii. Silence Olmstead, b. September 30, 1749. viii. Abigail Olmstead, b. March 24, 1750/51.
4. ix. Unknown Olmstead.
65. JEREMIAH4 OLMSTEAD (THANKFUL3 BARNES, THOMAS2, THOMAS1)1632,1633 was born 06 Jan 1715 in Brookfield, Worcester, MA1634,1635, and died Unknown. He married ELIZABETH LITTEN1636,1637 11 Dec 1734 in Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637. She died Unknown.
More About JEREMIAH OLMSTEAD and ELIZABETH LITTEN: Marriage: 11 Dec 1734, Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637
Children of JEREMIAH OLMSTEAD and ELIZABETH LITTEN are: 197. i. JABEZ5 OLMSTEAD, b. 29 Jul 1735, Brookfield, Worcester, MA; d. 1777, Valley Forge, Chester, PA.
ii. AARON OLMSTED1637, b. 11 Feb 1737, Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637; d. 07 Oct 1740, Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637. iii. JEDEDIAH OLMSTEAD1637, b. 13 Feb 1739, Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637; d. Unknown. iv. ELIZABETH OLMSTED1637, b. 31 Jul 1741, Brookfield, Worcester, MA1637; d. Unknown. v. MARTHA OLMSTED1638, b. 17 Dec 1743, Ware, Hampshire, MA1638; d. Unknown. vi. GIDEON OLMSTEAD1638, b. 17 Jul 1747, Ware, Hampshire, MA1638; d. Unknown. vii. SILENCE OLMSTED1638, b. 30 Sep 1749, Ware, Hampshire, MA1638; d. Unknown. viii. ABIGAIL OLMSTED1638, b. 24 Mar 1751, Ware, Hampshire, MA; d. Unknown.
Jeremiah Olmsted's Timeline
January 6, 1715
Brookfield, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
July 24, 1735
Ware, Hampshire, Massachusetts
February 13, 1739