About Joan Tallman
moved here, per http://davidedwardtaylorjr.com/Briggs.html
- Historical and genealogical miscellany; data relating to the settlement and settlers of New York and New Jersey (1903) Vol. V
- The Tallmans of New Jersey are represented by several branches of the name having a common ancestor in Peter Tallman, I,who settled in Newport and Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he died in 1708. Concerning him and his immediate issue, F. O. Austin supplies the following data: .....
- 1708. The inventory of his estate was presented by his son James Tallman.
- 1709, May 3. Administration having been given to Jonathan Tallman, he took acquittances, at this date, from his brothers and sisters, William Wilbur, Israel Shaw, Jonathan Tallman, James Tallman, Benjamin Tallman, Mary Pearce, Susanna Beckett, Peter Tallman, Isaac Lawton, William Potter, John Tallman, Joseph Tallman and Samuel Tallman.
- Peter Tallman, Sr., married, first, Ann ___ ; 'second, 1665, Joan Briggs, who died about 1685'; third, about 1686, Esther ___ who died before 1708. Issue
- 2 Mary Tallman married John Pearce
- 3 Elizabeth Tallman married Isaac Lawton
- 4 Peter Tallman born Mch. 22, 1658, (son by first wife), a physician, married Anne Walstone.
- 5 Anne Tallman married Stephen Brayton
- 6 Joseph Tallman
- 7 Susanna Tallman married Mr. Beckett
- 8 Daughter married William Wilbur
- 9 Jonathan Tallman married Sarah ___ .
- 10 James Tallman, ancestor of the Shrewsbury, New Jersey, family.
- 1 1 Daughter married William Potter
- 12 John Tallman married Mary ___ ; settled at Flushing, Long Island; ancestor of the Burlington County, New Jersey, family.
- 13 Daughter married Israel Shaw
- 14 Benjamin Tallman ('son by second wife').
- 15 Samuel Tallman (son by third wife).
- Concerning these children Austin contributes considerable information and mentions ninety-two of their children. But we are only interested in following James Tallman, 10, and John Tallman, 12, and their progeny.
- 'Henry Howland Crapo. Certain comeoverers. (page 12 of 22)
- ' PETER TALLMAN
- Came over 1648
- Golden Dolphin
- Israel Shaw, the son of Anthony Shaw and Alice Stonard, was born in 1660. He was alive in 1710, and how long after that date he lived I know not. He lived in Little Compton. In 1689 he married a daughter of Peter Tallman. They
- had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in 1706. I have found no record that clearly proves that this Elizabeth Shaw was the same Elizabeth Shaw who married Nathan Chase ....
- .... It has been stated, on what authority I know not, that Peter Tallman was Dutch and that he came over in 1648 in the ship Golden Dolphin to New York, .... He lived, however, until 1708.
- Peter Tallman's married career was varied. From his first wife, Ann, he was granted a divorce by the General Assembly. 'In 1665 he married Joan Briggs of Taunton. The antenuptial agreement between Peter and Joan and the deeds by which it was confirmed are set forth in full in the Portsmouth town records. The documents are elaborately and excellently written, and indicate a very liberal settlement on the bride. She bore him several children, of whom your ancestress is listed as the twelfth, and there were still others. Joan died in 1685' and in 1686 Peter married for the third time one Esther.
- 'The descendants of Thomas Durfee of Portsmouth, R.I (May 1902)
- 1. THOMAS DURFEE, parents unknown. Born in England in 1643 ; died in Portsmouth, R. I., in July, 1712 ; married in Portsmouth, R. I, about 1664, to ___ , of Portsmouth, R. I. Their children were (born in Portsmouth, R. I.)
- 2.— 1st. Robert, born March 10, 1665.
- 3.— 2d. Richard.
- 4.— 3d. Thomas.
- 5.— 4th. William, born about 1673.
- 6. — 5th. Ann.
- 7. — 6th. Benjamin, born in 1679.
- Mr. Durfee married a second time in Portsmouth, R. I., to Deliverance (Hall) Tripp (widow of Abiel Tripp), daughter of William and Mary ( ___ ) Hall. Born in Portsmouth, R. I., where she died in February, 1721. Their children were —
- 8. — 1st. Patience.
- 9. — 2d. Deliverance.
- COPY OF WILL OF THOMAS DURFEE.
- "1710, February 4th. Will proved 1712, July 14. Exx. wife Deliverance.
- "To wife, housing and land in Portsmouth for life, and then to daughters, Patience Tallman, and Deliverance Durfee equally. ......
- 8. Durfee, Patience (Thomas 1st). Daughter of Thomas and (2d wife) Deliverance (Hall) (Tripp) Durfee, of Portsmouth, R. I.; born in Portsmouth, R. I. ; died in Portsmouth, R. I., in 1723 ; married in Portsmouth, R. I., September 23, 1708, to Benjamin Tallman, of Portsmouth, R. I,, son of 'Peter and Joan (Briggs) Tallman'. Born in Portsmouth, R. I., January 28, 1684. Died in Warwick, R. I., May 20, 1759. Their children were :
- I. — Benjamin Tallman, born June 19, 1710; married at Warwick, R. I, in January, 1735, to Elizabeth Gorton, of Warwick, R. I., daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Collins) Gorton. Born in Warwick, R. I., September 26, 1709. .....
- II. --Mary Tallman, born August 2, 1712; married in Portsmouth, R.I., October 22, 1730, to Daniel Fish, of Portsmouth, R.I., son of Robert and Mary (Hall) Fish, born in Portsmouth, R.I., May 17, 1707. Their children were: .....
- III. Deliverance Tallman, born February 4, 1715; died in Portsmouth, R.I.; married in Portsmouth, R. I., July or August 2, 1741, to Richard Sisson, Jr., of Portsmouth, R.I., son of Richard and Ann (Card) Sisson. Born in Portsmouth, R.I., February 28, 1708; died in Portsmough, R.I., May 30, 1753. Their children were: .....
- IV. -- William Tallman.
- V. -- Patience Tallman, born April 6, 1721; died in Portsmouth, R.I., June 6, 1754 (as second wife) to John Sisson, of Portsmouth, R.I., son of Richard and Ann (Card) Sisson; born in Portsmouth, R.I., January 5, 1716; died in Portsmouth, R.I. ......
- Benjamin Tallman, Sr., married a second time, June 7, 1724, to Deborah Cook, daughter of John and Mary ( ___ ) Cook. Their children were: .....
- 'Peter Tallman
- M, b. 20 February 1623, d. 1708
- ' Peter Tallman was born on 20 February 1623 at Hamburg, Germany'. He married Ann Hill, daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann (?), on 2 January 1649 at Christ Church, Barbados. Peter Tallman immigrated in 1649; To Barbados, 1647, then from Barbados to Portsmouth, Rhode Island about 1649, with first wife Ann Hill. He and Ann Hill were divorced in 1665; Adultery, complaint that she had a child by another man. 'Peter Tallman married Joan Briggs, daughter of Samuel Briggs, on 24 July 1665 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI'. Peter Tallman married Esther (?) circa 1686 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI. Note: Deposition of Joseph Sheffield regarding a declaration made by Peter Tallman of Portsmouth on 13 March, 1702/3:
- "Joseph Sheffield, one of Her Majesty's Assistants, testified that being in the house of Peter Tallman in Portsmouth March 13, 1702/3, Peter declared:
- 'I am now 80 years of age and in the year 1647 I came from Hambrough to the Island of Barbados, and within two years after my arrival I married with Ann Hill the daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann his wife,' and he was married in Christ Church in said Island, and after seven or eight months after his marriage the said Tallman moved from the Island of Barbados to Rhode Island bringing with him his wife and wife's brother called Robert Hill, as likewise his wife's mother ... and further said Tallman declared to me the said deponent that the Peter Tallman whose habitation is now at Guildford in the County of New Haven in Connecticut is eldest lawfull son of said Peter Tallman." Peter Tallman died in 1708 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI.
- Children of Peter Tallman and Ann Hill
- Mary Tallman b. c 1651, d. 1720
- Elizabeth Tallman+ b. c 1654, d. 20 May 1701
- Ann Tallman+ b. c 1656, d. 1732
- Peter Tallman+ b. 22 Mar 1658, d. 6 Jul 1726
- Joseph Tallman b. c 1660, d. a 3 May 1709
- Susannah Tallman b. c 1662
- Sarah Tallman b. 1664, d. 1732
- 'Children of Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs
- Jonathan Tallman b. 1666, d. 1782
- Mercy Ruth Tallman b. 1666
- James Tallman+ b. c 1668, d. 1724
- John Tallman b. 1672, d. bt 1707 - 1709
- Ruth Tallman b. 1674
- Peter Tallman b. c 1676
- Nathaniel Tallman b. 1680
- Benjamin Tallman+ b. 28 Jun 1684, d. 20 May 1759
- Mary Tallman b. c 1686
- Children of Peter Tallman and Esther (?)
- Samuel Tallman b. 14 Jan 1687/88
- Joseph Tallman b. 1691
- Peter Tallman (1623 - 1708) was originally from Hamburg, Germany. He settled first about 1647 at Barbados, where he married his first wife Ann Hill, then in 1649 relocated to Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Peter and Ann were divorced in 1665 based on alleged infidelity of Ann, producing a child by another man. Peter Tallman then married Joan Briggs in July, 1665. Our descent is from Peter and Joan's son Benjamin (1684 - 1759) and his wife Patience Durfee, via their son William, born in Rhode Island, who married Anne Lincoln and lived at Reading in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Of eleven children born to William and Anne Lincoln Tallman, only Benjamin lived to adulthood, to marry and have children of his own. Ben Tallman married Dinah Boone, daughter of Benjamin and Susannah (Liken) Boone in 1764 in Berks County.
- Photos of:
- The Tallman cemetery, on top of a hill in rural Pickaway County, Ohio
- headstone for Benjamin and Dinah (Boone) Tallman
b. ABT 1635; d. 1685 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Marriage: 24 JUL 1665 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Spouse: TALLMAN, Peter, b. 20 FEB 1622/3; d. 1 APR 1708 Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
- Jonathan TALLMAN
- James TALLMAN
- Mercy TALLMAN
- Benjamin TALLMAN
Joanna (Briggs) Tallman (abt. 1640 - 1685)
Joanna Tallman formerly Briggs Born about 1640 in Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, USAmap Daughter of [father unknown] and Hannah (Fisher) Briggs Sister of Thomas Briggs, Richard Briggs, Richard Briggs and Hugh Briggs Wife of Peter Tallman — married July 24, 1665 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RImap Mother of Jonathan Tallman, Mercy Ruth (Tallman) Shaw, James Tallman, John Tallman, Ruth Tallman, Nathaniel Tallman, Benjamin Tallman and Mary (Tallman) Potter Died July 24, 1685 in Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island, USAmap Profile managers: Lynden Rodriguez private message [send private message], Jillaine Smith private message [send private message], Cindy Barnett private message [send private message], David Mason private message [send private message], Nora Sparks private message [send private message], and Dale Burdick private message [send private message] Last modified 21 December 2015.
[hide] 1 Biography 1.1 Conflict 1.2 Name 1.3 Death 1.4 Event 1.5 Marriage 1.6 Notes 2 Sources 2.1 Acknowledgements 3 Sources Biography
An antenuptual agreement was made 24 July 1665, between Petter Talman of Portsmouth, Rhode Island and Joan Brigges of Taunton, then in the jurisdiction of Plymouth Colony. This was Peter's second marriage.
Joan Briggs was b about 1640, probably based on the date of her marriage and died about 1685, because Peter remarried about 1685. A specific date of July 24, 1685, is sometimes given for her death. Do you have a source for this date?
IF Joanna was born in 1640 in Taunton, she CANNOT be daughter of John of Taunton. His sons were born in 1642-1645 in England and came over with him prior to 1657. And there was another totally different Briggs family in Newport/Portsmouth, RI
Name: Joan Briggs Name: Joanna Name: Joanna Briggs Found multiple versions of NAME using Joan Briggs. Death
Death Date: 24 Jul 1685 Place: Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Event
Type: Alt. Birth Date: Abt 1635, Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA Marriage
Husband: @I24@ Wife: Joan Briggs Marriage Date: 24 Jul 1665, Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Type: Alt. Marriage Date: 17 Jul 1665, Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Type: Alt. Marriage Date: 1665, Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA Child: Benjamin Tallman Notes
Note NI25 QUESTION: Who were Joan's parents? Were they John Briggs and Agnes Thayer?
From Ancestry.com, "Descendants of Tunis Wells and Other Surnames", by Dave Wells: "Her father is John Briggs Sr. according to some sources. Joan's birth date is not known. July 24, 1665 an ante nuptial agreement was made between Peter T. and Joan B. He agreed to give her land he had bought from Richard Morris, Daniel Wilcox and William Wilbur and also a house, all to be hers and her heirs born of this marriage. He gave her beside a bed and half the household goods, but if she die without issue the estate given her was to revert to Peter Tallman's eldest son, viz. Peter Jr., and if the latter die without issue then to Peter Tallman Sr's eldest daughter viz. Mary and her heirs. To Joan, absolutely as a "free gift of donation" he gave 3 good cows and a good breeding mare. Joan Briggs died 1685. Her son Benjamin was born in January of that year, so it is possible that she died in childbirth. Since Taunton was a branch of the Plymouth colony and since a Briggs came over in the "Fortune" in 1621, we can feel there is a possibility that Joan was connected with the Puritans of the Plymouth colony, but there is no proof. "
From the Tallmon Family 4-18-2009. GED, "The Ancestry of James Arthur Tallmon", by Diana Tallmon, dated 18 Apr 2009: "http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/8882/d65.htm#P13521 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~liteana/Briggs/pafg01.htm#24 The foregoing account of Peter T's family is taken from "The Tallman Family" contributed to the New England Genealogical and Historical Register by G. Andrews Moriarty. 15 Joan Briggs 2nd wife of Peter T. The following letter to Miss Helen Swisher, Columbus, O., dated 1934, seems to dispose of all inquiries about Joan Briggs: Dear Miss Swisher: Replying to your letter of the 9th instant, I would say that the ancestry of Joan Briggs is not known. As you are perhaps aware the Taunton town records were destroyed about 100 years ago by fire. A son of Clement Briggs of Weymouth was (end p 23) settled in Taunton but Joan could not have been his daughter as she was too old and Clement does not mention any daughter Joan in his will. It is my belief , however, that she was related to this family. In a later number of the Register you will find a note of mine on the family of Ann Hill, (first wife of Peter Tallman) with data from the Essex Co., Va. records. Yours faithfully, 1934 G. Andrews Moriarity Children of Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs, 2nd Wife 8. Jonathan of Dartmouth, Mass., b. about 1666, d. 1762. m about 1689, Sarah ____, 8 children. 9. James of Portsmouth, physician, b. about 1668, d 1724. m. (1st) 18 Mar 1689/90, Mary ____, 3 children. (This first wife's name was Mary (Brayton) Davol according to Mrs. Chase of Providence, Rhode Island), m (2nd) 14 Sept. , 1701, Hannah Swain. 9 children. 10. Daughter, born about 1670. m William Potter: 3 children. (Note by V.B.T., As noted above (previous page) this daughter was Ann, Peter's 4th child by Ann Hill. William Potter was her 2nd husband. 11. John of Flushing, Long Island. b. about 1672; d. about 1707-1709; m about 1693, Mary ____, 9 children. 12. Daughter, b about 1674; m about 1689, Israel Shaw of Little Compton, then in the Plymouth colony. 13 children. 13. Benjamin of Warwick, R. I., b Jan. 28 1684/5; died May 1759. (The manuscript as written by V.B.T., He had placed a margin notation of an "X" alongside child 10, above, and the number 12 alongside child 13. In addition, a vertical leader was drawn from the number 12 upwards to the "X" and thence inwards, to the right to the number "10", indicating a reference to Daughter "10". There is no further indication as to the meaning of this notation) "
From the WorldConnect Database: "Bogdonoff-Dick Ancestry", by Jillaine Smith: "I. ORIGINS There is a John BRIDGES found in Gloustershire records married to Agnes Thayer with children: 1. John, bp 27 Sep 1634 2. Katherine, bp 6 Jan 1636/7 nfr 3. Richard, bp 17 Mar 1638/9 [4. Joanna] m. Tallman (based on prenup as being of Taunton] 5. William, b. abt. 1645 6. Hugh, b. ? Commonly accepted theory is that this family is the same as the BRIGGS family of Taunton by similar names. Land records in Taunton, MA prove that John Briggs was the father of Richard, William and Hugh. A prenuptial agreement between Joanna Briggs of Taunton to her marriage to Tallman suggest her as a daughter since there were no other Briggs in Taunton. ... " Sources
Source: S24 Media: Electronic Abbreviation: Cindy's Genealogy File - 838418.GED Title: Cindy's Genealogy File - 838418.GED Author: Cindy Clarke <firstname.lastname@example.org> Repository: #R10 Repository: R10 Name: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:838418 Source: S25 Media: Electronic Abbreviation: WorldTree Database: "Russell", by Glenn Russell Title: WorldTree Database: "Russell", by Glenn Russell Author: Glenn Russell <email@example.com> Publication: June 21, 2004; Ancestry.com Note: A more up to date genealogy from Glenn can be found on Ancestry.com in the family tree called "RussFamily" here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/4365223/ And another called "RussFamily2" here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/5518985/ Repository: #R11 Repository: R11 Name: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3169691 Source: S27 Abbreviation: WorldConnect Database: "Ancestors of Vern Divine"," database, RootsWeb.com Title: "WorldConnect Database: "Ancestors of Vern Divine"," database, RootsWeb.com Author: Kennett Art Offill Publication: (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=kaoffill3 - 26 February 2010) Note: Information on James Tallman that married Dorcus Weaver, and others. Source: S32 Media: Book Abbreviation: English Origins of New England Families Title: English Origins of New England Families Author: Gary Boyd Roberts Publication: Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1984 Repository: #R5 Source: S4 Media: Book Abbreviation: Talman/Tallman Families Title: Talman/Tallman Families Author: Herbert S. Ackerman Publication: 1953; Reprint of original book, loaned from the Bergen County Historical Society. Note: Film Number 442407, Ref # 21494. Repository: #R1 Source: S41 Abbreviation: "Ancestors of James Arthur Tallmon," supplied by Tallmon, 18 April 2009. Title: "Ancestors of James Arthur Tallmon," supplied by Tallmon, 18 April 2009. Author: compiled by Diana Lisa Tallmon [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE\,] Note: Type any analytical comments about the GEDCOM's reliability, etc. Source: S42 Abbreviation: Ancestors of James Arthur Tallmon Title: Ancestors of James Arthur Tallmon Author: Compiled by Diana Lisa Tallmon [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE\,] Publication: 18 April 2009 Note: Type any analytical comments about the GEDCOM's reliability, etc. Source: S50 Media: Electronic Abbreviation: WorldTree Database: "Descendants of Tunis Wells and Other Surnames" Title: WorldTree Database: "Descendants of Tunis Wells and Other Surnames" Author: Dave Wells Publication: Ancestry.com Repository: #R24 Repository: R24 Name: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwells Source: S52 Abbreviation: "WorldConnect Database: "Black/NobleCT"," database, RootsWeb.com Title: "WorldConnect Database: "Black/NobleCT"," database, RootsWeb.com Author: Julie Barrows [firstname.lastname@example.org] Publication: (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=blackandnob - 10 September 2009) Source: S54 Title: "U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700," database, Ancestry.com Source: S55 Media: Book Abbreviation: Families of Early Guilford Title: Families of Early Guilford Author: Talcott, Alvan, Jacquelyn L. Ricker Ed. Publication: Genealogical Publishing Co., reprint 1984 Note: This source is very inaccurate, defer to the sources by Jacobus when possible. Note: This source was added during the import of the WorldConnect Database: "Black/NobleCT", by Julie Barrows, dated 10 Sep 2009. Imported on 4 Mar 2011. Repository: #R25 Repository: R25 Name: Ancestry.com Source: S6 Media: Electronic Database Title: WorldTree Database: "The Ancestral File of Allen Donald Tallman" Author: Allen Donald Tallman <email@example.com> Publication: 3 May 2004; Ancestry.com Source quality: Excellent Repository: #R2 Repository: R2 Name: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=atallmen Acknowledgements
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. Can you add information or sources? Sources
↑ The Early Records of the Town of Portsmouth. Rhode Island Historical Society. Providence, RI: Freeman & Sons, State Printers, 1901. ↑ Virkus, Frederick Adams. The Compendium of American Genealogy, Vol. VII. 1942 ↑ "Genealogical research in Germany and England" New England Historical and Genealogical Register 85:72. Boston: NEHGS, 1931 ↑ Briggs-3441 was created by Tom Greene through the import of wikisnodgrass1.ged on Apr 23, 2015. This person was created through the import of Dickinson Family Tree.ged on 31 March 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability. This profile was adopted and edited. Ramsey-1224 21:37, 22 December 2014 (EST) This person was created through the import of Dickinson Family Tree.ged on 31 March 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
Source: #S-1992136522 Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=24279608&pid=1711821733 Sources
Source S-1988981437 Repository: #R-1992163608 Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Author: Yates Publishing Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived Note: APID: 7836::0
Repository R-1992163608 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
Source S-1992136522 Repository: #R-1992163608 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Biography
No biography yet.<ref>Briggs-3610 was created by David Mason through the import of Mason_Cutting Family Tree.ged on Jun 25, 2015. This comment and citation should be deleted after a short biography has been added and primary sources have been cited.</li></ol></ref>
MORE: FAMILY TREE & GENEALOGY TOOLS
Joan Tallman's Timeline
Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
Portsmouth, New Port, Rhode Island, United States
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States
Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
January 28, 1684
Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Colonial America
July 24, 1685
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA