Joan Le Strange, 10th Baroness of Knockin
|Also Known As:||"Joan Strange", "Johanna Strange"|
|Death:||Died in Colham Green,Middlesex,England|
Daughter of John le Strange, 8th Lord Strange of Knokyn and Jacquetta Woodville, Baroness Strange
|Occupation:||9th Baroness Strange, 9th Baroness of Knokyn|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Joan Stanley, 10th Baroness Strange of Knockin Strange
About Joan Stanley, 10th Baroness Strange of Knockin Strange
- 'Joan Strange1,2,3,4,5,6
- 'F, b. circa 1459, d. 20 March 1514
- Father Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun2,3,4,5,7 b. 20 May 1444, d. 16 Oct 1479
- Mother Jaquetta Wydeville2,3,5,7
- ' Joan Strange was born circa 1459 at of Knockyn, Shropshire, England; Age 21 in 1480.2,5 She married Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles, son of Sir Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl Derby, 2nd Lord Stanley, Constable of England, Chief Justice of Chester & Flint and Eleanor Neville, before 26 October 1480; They had 5 sons (Sir Thomas, 2nd Earl of Derby, 3rd Lord Stanley, Lord Strange of Knockin; Anthony; John; Sir James; & George) and 5 daughters (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Edward Stanley; Eleanor; Katherine; Joan/Jane, wife of Sir Robert Sheffield; & Margaret, wife of John Osbaldeston, Esq.).2,3,4,5,6 Joan Strange died on 20 March 1514 at Colham Green, Middlesex, England.2,5 Her estate was probated on 3 May 1514.5
- 'Family Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles b. c 1460, d. 5 Dec 1503
- ◦Joan (Jane) Stanley8,2,4 b. c 1483, d. bt 1519 - 1520
- ◦Sir Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl Derby, 3rd Lord Stanley, Lord Strange of Knockin+2,5 b. b 1485, d. 23 May 1521
- ◦Sir James Stanley+2 b. c 1491
- 1.[S8526] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. IV, p. 208; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 2339; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 108; The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants, by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 177; Burke's Peerage, p. 785, 786.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 681.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 694.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 17-18.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 93-94.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 127.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 126-127.
- 8.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 647.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p915.htm#i27479
- 'Joan Lestrange, Baroness Strange1
- 'F, #13853, d. 20 March 1513/14
- Last Edited=28 Aug 2008
- ' Joan Lestrange, Baroness Strange was the daughter of John IX Lestrange, 8th Lord Strange (of Knokyn) and Jacquetta Woodville. She married Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange (of Knokyn), son of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby and Eleanor Neville, before 26 February 1480/81.1 She died on 20 March 1513/14.1
- ' She succeeded to the title of 9th Baroness Strange in 1479. Her married name became Stanley.
- 'Children of Joan Lestrange, Baroness Strange and Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange (of Knokyn)
- 1.John Stanley2
- 2.Sir James Stanley+2
- 3.Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby+1 b. b 1485, d. 23 May 1521
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1101. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1102.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1386.htm#i13853
George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange, of Knockyn, KG, KB (1460–1503) was an English nobleman and heir of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. Despite predeceasing his father in 1503, he was nevertheless a considerable soldier and aristocrat in his own right and held a number of senior offices of state.
He was born about 1460 in Knowsley, Lancashire, England, the eldest son of Thomas Stanley and his first wife Eleanor, sister of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. On his father's second marriage to Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond he became stepbrother to her son, Henry Tudor, later King Henry VII.
He was invested as a Knight of the Order of the Bath in 1475 by King Edward IV. He held the offices of Constable of Pontefract Castle and Constable of Knaresborough Castle in 1485. He was present at the battle of Bosworth Field, but was held captive by Richard III because of his father's actions. He held the office of Constable of Wicklow Castle in 1486 and became Chief Justice of the Duchy of Lancaster in 1486. In 1487 he was invested with the Order of the Garter and made a Privy Counsellor.
He was married in 1482 to Joan le Strange, 9th Baroness Strange (c. 1460 - 1514), daughter of John le Strange, 8th Baron Strange (c. 1440 - 1477) and Jacquetta Woodville (daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg), thereby becoming 9th Baron Strange de jure uxoris (in the right of his wife) and was summoned to Parliament in this role. Their children were:
- John Stanley (d. 1503)
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby (1485–1521)
- James Stanley, Knight (1486–1562), who founded the branch of the family known as the 'Stanleys of Bickerstaffe', from which the 11th Earl of Derby and all subsequent Earls descend
- George Stanley
- Jane Stanley, married Sir Robert Sheffield (died 15 November 1531, son of Robert Sheffield and Helen Delves) and had a son, Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield.
- Elizabeth Stanley
- Margaret Stanley
He died in Derby House, St Paul's Wharf, London over 4–5 December 1503, allegedly of poison following a banquet. He was buried in the London church of St James Garlickhythe nearby.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stanley,_9th_Baron_Strange
- 'Joan STRANGE (10° B. Strange of Knockin)
- 'Born: ABT 1463
- 'Died: 20 Mar 1513/14, Colham Green, Midlessex, London, England
- Father: John Le STRANGE (9º B. Strange of Knockin)
- Mother: Jacquetta WOODVILLE (B. Strange of Knockyn)
- 'Married: George STANLEY (B. Strange of Knockin) BEF 26 Feb 1481/82
- 1. John STANLEY
- 2. Thomas STANLEY (2° E. Derby)
- 3. James STANLEY of Crosshall (Esq. Marshall of Ireland)
- 4. Mary STANLEY
- 5. Jane STANLEY
- 6. Elizabeth STANLEY
- 7. Eleanor STANLEY
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STRANGE.htm#Joan STRANGE (10° B. Strange of Knockin)
Joan Stanley, 10th Baroness Strange of Knockin Strange's Timeline
Knockin, Shropshire, England, United Kingdom
Lathom, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Lathom, Lancashire, England
Abt. 1489 Lathom, Lancashire, England
Abt. 1488 Lathom, Lancashire, England