About Joan Scott
- Birth: Circa 1532 - Rattlesden, Suffolk, , England
- Death: May 15 1615 - Rattlesden, Suffolk, , England
- Husband: Edward Edmund Scott
- Children: Edmund Scott, Henry Scott, Edmund Scott, Anne Scott, Dinah (Dinay) Scott, Anne Scott, Rose Scott, Nicholas Scott, George Scott, Mary Scott
People - don't get played as a chump. This lady was not an Earl's daughter.
This Joan is not Lady Joan Howard, daughter of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham and Admiral of the Navy who defeated the Armada because Charles did not have any daughter by the name of Joan.
Scott is an important noble line, but perhaps Edmund was somewhat modest in rank to marry the daughter of an earl. Edmund is likely to have married someone of suitable rank, probably from another noble line. This Joan may very well be a Howard, which is a very long noble line, with many other branches stemming from the same progenitor, but the connection to this particular Howard, Charles Howard Earl of Nottingham had to be removed, as it is an historical fact that he had no daughter named Joan.
U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
about Edmund Scott
Name: Edmund Scott
Birth Year: 1524
Spouse Name: Joan
Spouse Birth Year: 1532
Number Pages: 1
Source Citation: Source number: 178.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: WVB.
Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Original data: This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived from an array of materials including pedigree charts, family history articles, querie.
- F, #71184, b. circa 1535
- Joan was born circa 1535. She married Edward (Edmund) Scott, son of George Scott, circa 1559.
- Family Edward (Edmund) Scott b. c 1530
- Henry Scott+1 b. 1 Nov 1560
- [S11674] Genealogy.com, Ancestors of Stanley Elmer Allen.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2369.htm#i71184
- Ancestry of Charles Stinson Pillsbury and John Sargent Pillsbury by Holman, Mary Lovering, 1868-1947, Pillsbury, Helen Pendleton Winston, 1878-1957 Vol. 1
- EDMUND SCOTT born probably in Rattlesden, Suffolk, Eng., about 1530, buried there, 14 Aug. 1621, aged "about ninety-seven years." He married, probably about 1560, JOAN ___ , who was buried 15 May 1615, "an old woman".
- Edmund Scott appears in the records of Rattlesden in 1569 as a "Questman", a parish officer. This is the first mention found of him, although the records begin in 1558, and as the baptisms of his two eldest children are not of record, he possibly came to Rattlesden about 1556 from some other parish. In 1588-89, he was a church warden and in 1593, he was a collector. In 1611, Edmund Scott, "Sr." served again as collector. His age at death was probably exaggerated.
- Children, all but two baptised in Rattlesden:
- i. EDMUND, b. about 1561, buried 14 July 1642, Rattlesden; m. 16 Sept. 1583, Rattlesden, AGNES LOSSE, baptism and burial not found. Children (SCOTT), baptised in Rattlesden, (1) Edmund, bapt. 18 Oct. 1586, buried 30 June 1615, "a yonge man, ye sone of Edmund ye younger."; (2) Jonas, bapt. 20 Oct. 1588; (3) Nicholas, bapt. 25 Sept. 1591; (4) George, bapt. 28 Dec. 1594; (5) Robert, bapt. 25 May 1597.
- ii. HENRY, b. probably about 1565; m. MARTHA WHATLOCK.
- iii. DINAY, bapt. 18 June 1567; m. 8 Jan. 1587-88 JOHN RANSONE. Child (RANSONE, Priscilla, bapt. 2 June 1588.
- iv. ANNE, bapt. 21 Aug. 1569.
- v. ROSE, bapt. 15 Sept 1571, buried 19 Sept 1571.
- vI. GEORGE, bapt. 31 Jan. 1573-74.
- vii. NICHOLAS, bapt. 13 June 1576; m. 7 Apr. 1603, ANNE BATMAN. Child, Nicholas, bapt. 22 Jan. 1503-04, buried 29 Nov. 1606.
- HENRY SCOTT (Edmund), born probably in Rattlesden, Suffolk, about 1565, was buried there, 24 Dec. 1624. He married in Rattlesden, 25 July 1594, MARTHA WHATLOCK, baptised there, 18 July 1658, died before 1653, daughter of Thomas and Joan (___) Whatlock.
- Henry Scott grew up in Rattlesden, a yeoman farmer. After his death, his family continued to reside there until 1634 when they emigrated to America. His widow, Martha, aged about sixty (really fifty-six), his son Thomas and his fammily, his daughter, Ursula (Scott) Kimball with her husband, Richard Kimball, their children, and Kimball's brother, Henry Kimball, and his family, sailed in the Elizabeth of Ipswich, 30 Apr. 1634. This shipping list, given by both Drake and Hotten, is divided into two parts, those who took the oath of allegiance and those who did not, the latter being children under age.
Curator, please remove Joan Howard form the tree of Charles Howard She was removed once before and someone reposted her again as a daughter. Joan was NOT his daughter. - Done EH 28 May 2013
Joan Scott's Timeline
Bradfield, St George, , Suffolk, ENG
November 1, 1560
Bradfield Saint George, Suffolk, England
May 31, 1562
Bradfield, St George, Suffolk, England
July 28, 1564
August 2, 1565
June 28, 1567
Rattlesden, Suffolk, England
September 15, 1568
Rattlesden, Suffolk, , England
January 31, 1573
Rattlesden, Suffolk, , England